This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Reprinting for the Narnia Cookbook Petition

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Reprinting for the Narnia Cookbook Petition

Postby wisewoman » Jul 09, 2010 6:40 am

Yes, sorry, TAN is Talk About Narnia :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell » Jul 09, 2010 7:27 am

Well, I'm back again! :D Thanks wisewoman & Griffle! Well, for the moment, since the petition is nowhere near done yet, (sorry, I'm sooooooooo busy with family, school,etc which is why I'm asking for help.) Turkish Delight conversation goes to TAN: Talk About Narnia forum. See ya there!

EDIT: I have just made a new topic called "The Food of Narnia: Turkish Delight and More" at TAN. :D
-(Tom Hiddleston (2012), Kenneth Branagh (1989) & Laurence Olivier (1944) as Henry V)

sig: Narnian_Archer
avy:campgirl

King Caspian X fan and supporter of Lillian
ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 12, 2010 4:04 pm

I'll sign a petition for the Narnian Cookbook! Now would be a good time to start printing, with the movie coming out this year and all...
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Here is a sample letter to send to whomever. . .

Dear Sir or Madamme,

I am a member of NarniaWeb.com, the world's largest and greatest Narnia forum. About a week ago, a lively conversation popped up in our "Narnia Merchandise" section concerning "The Narnian Cookbook." Many members expressed interest in the book, but were saddened to find that the book has been out of print for many years. Copies of the original printing are very expensive, and are out of the price range for me, and for many of my fellow NarniaWebbers.

The main reason that I'm writing, is that I'm trying to get the book reprinted. Several of my fellow NarniaWebbers are trying to get the book reprinted as well, signifiying that there may be a new market for this book's re-release.

With Fox/Walden's planned release of "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," we as fans expect a lot of books to be released that relate to Narnia. We have already been excited to see previews of some of these books, and have expressed interest in owning some of them, and we humbly ask that you add "The Narnia Cookbook" to the list of books being released.

We relish the thought of owning this masterpiece!

Sincerely,
Petitioner.

I don't know if we would send this email to Douglas Gresham, or to HarperCollins, or what. . . but if you like the email feel free to use it. Or, we can send one email to Douglas Gresham, and have all of our names (and our NarniaWeb Usernames of course) signed at the bottom.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Griffle » Jul 13, 2010 10:01 am

That's great DiGo, but why are we only interested in owning some of the VDT books? ;)
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Presumably because we don't have the budgets to get all of them, which brings us back to why the petition is written in the first place. ;)

(Though, I suppose supply and demand might factor in there beside money...)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Griffle » Jul 13, 2010 6:03 pm

I get that Meltintalle, I was just thinking that if this is the letter we're using, then it might be a good idea to think about rewriting that specific sentence or leave it out altogether. I mean, do we really have to say that we're interested in getting some of the books? It works fine without that part.
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 13, 2010 7:31 pm

That's a very good point. :)

*rereads the letter*

Since we're talking about alternate phrasing, would the second paragraph sound better with "I'm trying to get the book reprinted" (etc.) or "I would like to see the book reprinted" (etc.)?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 13, 2010 11:40 pm

Definitely "I would like to see the book reprinted." It sounds more respectful.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Griffle » Jul 14, 2010 10:27 am

Meltintalle wrote:That's a very good point. :)

*rereads the letter*

Since we're talking about alternate phrasing, would the second paragraph sound better with "I'm trying to get the book reprinted" (etc.) or "I would like to see the book reprinted" (etc.)?
"We would like to see the book reprinted..." ?
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I have received Douglas Gresham's email address (and am sworn to secrecy concerning it). So, in order to get the ball rolling, I think sending one email with the names of everybody who has participated in this thread, should be sent. Is anybody in objection to that?

Here's a revised draft:

Dear Douglas Gresham,

I am one of the many members of NarniaWeb.com, the world's largest and greatest Narnia forum. About a week ago, a lively conversation popped up in our "Narnia Merchandise" section concerning "The Narnian Cookbook." Many members expressed interest in the book, but were saddened to find that the book has been out of print since 2004. Copies of the original printing are very expensive, and are out of the price range for me and many of my fellow NarniaWebbers.

The main reason that I'm writing, is that I would love to see the book reprinted. Several of my fellow NarniaWebbers have joined with me in expressing this desire, which signifies that there may be a new market for this book's re-release.

With Fox/Walden's planned release of "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," we as fans expect a lot of books to be released that relate to Narnia. I have already been excited to see previews of some of these books, and am interested in owning many of them. Although I understand that getting a book like this reprinted takes time, I humbly ask that you try to get "The Narnia Cookbook" added to the list of books being released.

I relish the thought of owning this masterpiece!

Sincerely:

7chronicles
A_Narnian_Ship
Adeona
Alyosha
Aravis Tarkeia
Aslanisthebest
Aslans Country
Benjamin
Bother Eustace
boy scout
CSLewisNarnia
Cymru
DancingPrincesses
daughter of the King
De_De
DiGoRyKiRkE
ElfMaidenArcheroRivendell
EtJ
Fantasia_Kitty
Glenstorm the Great
greekprincess189
Griffle
Johobbit
joy93
Lady Courage
Liberty Hoffman
lover of narnia
Lu_valient
Meltintalle
Miss Rosario
Movie Aristotle
Narnialover101
pickle
pogginfan
Princess Rosario
QueenSusanJ316
Ramagut
Silver the Wanderer
starkat
SusanTheArcher
ValiantArcher
Varnafinde
Wisewoman

P.S. We as a Narnia community are praying for you and for the production as you deal with the ups and downs of producing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

So. . . I added a little bit here and there, but overall I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Are there any thoughts?
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Lady Courage » Jul 14, 2010 4:05 pm

I like it! Hope we can get some more names though. 10 people doesn't seem to be enough in my mind... But maybe that's just me.

Edited to add: And may I copy your idea (or was it Meltintalle's?) and make some graphics for signing the petition? :D Great idea there...
Sig by me | Av by Ithilwen
There is no such thing as a Painless Lesson
Lady Courage
NarniaWeb Guru

Location: With De_De, Libby and Lu, exploring Narnia with Frodo in Obi-Wan's spaceship. :D

Postby Movie Aristotle » Jul 14, 2010 4:32 pm

I have no objection to my user name being listed in this letter.

I spotted a typo:

"Although we understand that getting a book like this reprinted takes time, we humbly ask that you try to get "The Narnia Cookbook" to the list of books being released." The word "added" is missing. It should read:

"Although we understand that getting a book like this reprinted takes time, we humbly ask that you try to get "The Narnia Cookbook" added to the list of books being released."

Also, I wonder if the postscript might flow a little better if worded this way:

' P.S. We as a Narnia community are praying for you and for the production as you deal with the ups and downs of producing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." '

Feel free to disagree.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Griffle » Jul 14, 2010 4:56 pm

Movie Aristotle wrote:Also, I wonder if the postscript might flow a little better if worded this way:

' P.S. We as a Narnia community are praying for you and for the production as you deal with the ups and downs of producing "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." '

Feel free to disagree.
Just what I was going to write. Repetition of words so close to one another is never good.
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ramagut » Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

Add me, please! I would love to have a copy of it! I have a friend that has a copy of the original and it's a great book! :D

EDIT: I have been wanting this book for a long time, but would never buy it. Seeing this thread made me want it even more. So, after searching the internet for a while, I found a used copy for $20.00 (including shipping). If you look around the net, it's amazing what you can find! (Unfortunately, it was the only one. The next price up was $130!) I saw one that was $1000!!!! :-o
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Jul 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Oooh! Looks pretty! :D But I agree with Lady Courage, I think it needs more names... :-\
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext