This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Underwater Battle?

A place for unconfirmed news and whisperings.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, coracle

Re: Underwater Battle?

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Sep 30, 2009 12:50 am

Maybe this "Underwater Battle" will be between the merpeople only (perhaps replacing the hunting scene :-? ) and the Narnians will only be watching from the ship. I know it's not in the book but it would be interesting to see
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Eustace » Oct 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Lady of the Green Kirtle wrote:Maybe this "Underwater Battle" will be between the merpeople only (perhaps replacing the hunting scene :-? ) and the Narnians will only be watching from the ship. I know it's not in the book but it would be interesting to see

I hope this is not it. If there is an ''underwater battle'' I hope it's just scenes underwater of the sea serpent attacking the ship.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Oct 29, 2009 2:35 am

I am confident that there won't be a battle with the mer people. I can understand that it sounds like a great idea to lots of people, but it just doesn't fit in with what Lewis wrote in THIS book. :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Narnian_Badger » Oct 30, 2009 6:08 pm

I concur, coracle.

Not only is it far from the idea Lewis envisioned, it also doesn't make sense from a movie stand point. It's already been discussed that VDT is difficult to transfer onto the silver screen due to its various subplots, and adding an underwater battle would only serve to increase this difficulty.

Plus it would make some fans very unhappy. :p
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Warrior » Oct 30, 2009 6:29 pm

I doubt they will do one. It seems unlikely seeing as how it would be completely unnecessary and would waste time that could be used for other scenes. I mean, for them to have an underwater fight, it would take most likely a minimum of twenty minutes. It just wouldn't make sense.
Image sig by MementoMorrie
Narnian_Warrior
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HM Swanwhite » Nov 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I would like to see more of the mermaids - I really liked them in the book and if it meant having a fight I wouldn't mind. Strange I know - I'm normally really annoyed at changes to the book. But I met with Michael Apted the other day and it didn't sound like they'd changed too much. However awhile back they had that whole mermaids taking people under the water (or some other queen) and they said they wouldn't do those scenes so I imagine the words "underwater battle" are referring to either the sea serpent fight or this now deleted scene. And Lady of the Green Kirtle please refresh my memory what hunting scene? :-\ Anyhow, I'm not too worried! ;) :D
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby coracle » Nov 12, 2009 1:55 pm

The hunting scene - Lucy and Ed see a group of sea people (not mermaids) doing what seems to be hunting underwater, using a fish like a hawk to catch prey fish. They remember their own days in Narnia as a royal hunting party.
The king sees the ship and seems to be angry but then they move further away.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby HM Swanwhite » Nov 12, 2009 7:49 pm

Oh that hunting scene! Sorry I didn't associated it with that event! Also Lucy sees another mermaid who seems to be quite different to the others and she's a shepherdess! So there is more than one instance of fairies. (But you probably all knew that and I was the one that was slow to catch on.) ;)
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Benjamin » Nov 19, 2009 2:12 pm

It would be hard to do a underwater battle I think.....It would be cool But I don't know :| I,m a fan of sticking to the books but of course they are not going to 8-| So maybe A underwater battle would be cool......
Avvie By Flambeau Sig by Ithilwen
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Galadriel » Nov 22, 2009 7:54 pm

You know, the filmmakers liked the castle raid because it was "highly original." I think an underwater battle would be "highly original" as well.

That doesn't mean I'd like it.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian_at_heart » Dec 07, 2009 10:54 am

Maybe they'll change it so Eustace jumps in and battles the sea serpent instead of hacking at it on deck. I don't like that idea though.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Adeona » Dec 07, 2009 6:23 pm

Mr. Ernie Malik has now said:

Ernie Malik wrote:Let’s say the story’s adventures include the slave traders…sea serpent…the dragon…the storm…the Dufflepuds.

I would assume that this effectively rules out the possibility of the underwater battle (which would come under the heading of "Adventures" obviously!) with the merpeople. So my guess would be that the underwater battle does indeed have something to do with the sea serpent. It would be just like movie makers to change a triumph of brain over brawn into some sort of "Epic" combat, possibly complete with casualties.
I hate to say this, but that thought reminds of the scene in PotC with the giant squid. (Or is it an octopus? I never saw the movie; I just noticed that part in a commercial or something)
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Dec 08, 2009 10:03 pm

It's a giant squid.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 19, 2009 4:06 pm

I hope they are not just trying to add a battle just for the sake of having a battle in the movie..... :| :D :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby TashTheInexorable » Jan 04, 2010 8:55 pm

How are they going to do this? The crew aren't actually going to go under the water are they? How will they breathe?
TashTheInexorable
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lady Galadriel » Jan 05, 2010 12:22 pm

TashTheInexorable, if there is an underwater battle, I doubt it would actually be underwater. That sounds tough to me! :) The interesting thing about movies is that it doesn't always get filmed exactly the way it looks like to the viewer. The sea-serpent will almost certainly have to be CGI-ed in. A lot of the battle itself would probably be CGI-ed, I think. :-? Or at least that is my guess.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext