This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Gymslip pattern, help!

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Gymslip pattern, help!

Postby Mrulockia » Feb 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Remember Lucy's school uniform from Prince Caspian?
Well let me tell you, it isn't easy finding a pattern for a Gymslip, especially for Misses sizes.
Could anybody help me?
NarniaPolly913 is my Narniaweb sibling!!!! hurrah!
Mrulockia
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Gymslip pattern, help!

Postby DeW » Feb 15, 2010 10:26 am

I have a 1940s gymslip pattern I got off ebay. It's for age 5-6 but is really easy to adapt sizes. I'm not sure how it'd alter for bigger chest size though.
The pattern I've got isn't quite the same as it's just slip over the top, no buttons on the shoulder, although I have done one with buttons for a change.
The main thing is to make sure that the neck edge isn't too wide or it slips off the shoulders.
I've made both my daughters grey gymslips for school from it, as well as prettier colours.
DeW
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Mrulockia » Feb 16, 2010 12:26 pm

Ah, that's a helpful bit of info.
NarniaPolly913 is my Narniaweb sibling!!!! hurrah!
Mrulockia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

Essentially it is a long rectangle that has been sewn together to make a continuous body piece, with 3 big box pleats in the front and 3 in the back. This is attached to a yoke with a square neck, and a little bit of shaping is needed under the arms. You can insert a pocket into the side seam, or make the shoulders more adjustable by having a button hold the front & back together - the ones I wore to school were just straight over the shoulder.
The belts we wore were the same material as the gymslip, and had a button fastening. The belt had one belt-loop at each side.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie