This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Nymphs, Naiads, and Dryads?

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Nymphs, Naiads, and Dryads?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 10, 2018 5:38 pm

Assuming that nymphs in Narnia are real people instead of special effects in the new adaptation, what should dryad and naiad clothing look like?

I love the idea of drawing a lot of inspiration from ancient Greek design. Check out these styles of dresses here and here... there is so much variety among those silhouettes and I think that would work so well with all of the different types of trees and watery dominions.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Nymphs, Naiads, and Dryads?

Postby fantasia » Nov 11, 2018 1:07 pm

I think I'm the only person in the world who liked the dryads in LWW and PC. ;)) That aside, I like the idea of their garments being made of the elements where they dwell. Dryads being very tree-like with leaves and maybe bark looking dresses? Or at the very least, very earthen tones and colors. Didn't Jill describe one looking like she was walking through dirt or something like that? I don't have the book on hand to double check.
Same deal for naiads, probably a really wet look would be appropriate with lilies or seaweed dresses? Something like this, but obviously a bit more decent. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Cleander » Apr 25, 2019 2:54 pm

I've always wondered what Lewis imagined tree-folk to look like- he's never very detailed in his descriptions. I was wondering if the "tree-like " appearance could be achieved by giving the skin a bark-like texture, with fingernails made to look like tiny leaves and clothing that is made of leaf-like fabric?
As for "wading through the earth," perhaps they could glide along the ground like ghosts, (adding to their spiritual aspect) with their feet concealed in the earth, and a fine mist swirling at their ankles. (Though perhaps not a GREEN mist. =)) )
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Arwen » May 09, 2019 9:41 pm

There's a stylized version of the Gotham City Sirens version of Poison Ivy that I've often found to be very "tree like"--she quite literally creates plant life from her body and in her hands, but it very much flows as part of her body. It always struck me as very dryad. Unfortunately, I can't remember the run, so I'm not finding any scans of it. ;))

As far as going with dresses, I would actually lean more toward more of a lehenga style, with the earth/plantlife/water replacing the hem embroidery, and moving from the movement of earth toward the stillness of the embroidery. That might also give more of the "wading" effect, and would also echo the WW waterfall dresses (not that it's in the same continuity, buuuut.....) :P
Lady Arwen
The Mermod