This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pevensies in The HaHB

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Pevensies in The HaHB

Postby starkat » Jul 06, 2013 4:18 pm

Hopefully I am doing this right as I'm not really good at sewing, but after going through the Aravis thread, I got to thinking about the Pevensies' costumes in HaHB.

You've got Peter, Edmund, and Lucy in battle gear towards the end. You've got Lucy's court dress in Archenland when she's introduced to Aravis and the dinner scene with the king. You've got Susan and Ed's costumes in Calormen and a potential outfit for Susan post Calormen.

Would Lucy and Susan's outfits more resemble what we saw at the end of the LWW? Or do you imagine something a little different as they would still be traveling? Would Susan have an outfit for their sneaking out to the ship? Would Susan's outfits inside Calormen have a Calormen flair or would they be straight Narnian in style?
starkat

Re: Pevensies in The HaHB

Postby shastastwin » Jul 06, 2013 4:42 pm

I think all of the Pevensies' costumes would be Narnian, though Susan's court dresses might have a bit of a Calormene flair in the cut or the jewelry.

I like the idea of reusing the outfits from the end of LWW, but since those were their hunting clothes, we might expect something more formal and a little less functional since they are on ambassadorial business. I don't think they need special outfits for sneaking to the ship, but they might have something less formal for that since they were going to the ship as preparation for a party.
"All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you..."
Inexhaustible Inspiration
shastastwin
Moderator Emeritus
Saint Schwinn

Postby starkat » Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm

I see what you mean, but I was thinking more along the lines of the cut and material. Maybe something more like Susan wore in the battle in PC for Lucy during the battle? And then maybe something similar in cut to their coronation clothes but less formal fabric for the day to day type wear?
starkat

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 07, 2013 11:50 am

Lucy had a dress in her trunk in PC; I'd love to see her actually wearing that in HHB. Perhaps in Archenland, it looks celebratory. :)

As for Lucy's battle outfit, we're told that she rode with the archers so I'd really want to see her on a horse with a bow in hand. Something like this and nods to the plate armor of her brother(s). Maybe even an openface helmet like Edmund's. ;))

If we're shown the Narnian party sneaking down to the ship, I would expect a lovely dark blue cloak of voluminous proportions to appear in Susan's wardrobe. :D
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 07, 2013 5:28 pm

I would have loved to see the LWW ending style clothes the Pevensies wore to be worn in HHB. They were just so Narnian and kingly and queenly.

During the battle, some dresses easy to move quickly in would suit the girls well. We wouldn't want them tripping over long dresses. The boys' armor from LWW and PC is fine, though. No problems here.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I thought about Lucy in armor and came up with a couple of different concepts.

Version 1: This one is inspired more by the bi-color surcoats worn by knights in medieval manuscripts. She's wearing gaucho pants, possibly also bi-colored, so it would look like she's wearing a skirt while walking. She'd probably have her braid pinned up under the arming cap.

Version 2: I dithered over the combination of red and blue and then decided that it's the same as what she wears in Voyage of the Dawn Treader (2010) This one is a mix of a blue variation on the skirt from Susan's Battle Outfit in Prince Caspian (2008) and Edmund's armor from the same movie and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005). She'd probably have her braid pinned up inside the helmet.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 20, 2013 12:27 pm

I like both of those looks, Mel! Though you said it was inspired by medieval manuscripts, the first one actually looks rather consistent with the BBC costumes; was that intentional? ;)) I do like the combination in the second, and it's a nice mix of the Walden costumes elements. :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Ooooh, is it like the BBC? Now that you mention it, it is a bit like what Aslan's heralds wore... it's been so long since I doodled the basis for that sketch that I honestly can't remember if that was on purpose or not. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Jul 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Yes, it rather reminded me of the heralds, Mel. I'm particularly thinking of the coronation or at least procession to Cair Paravel, but they were in other scenes too. ;)) If you want to be very consistent with the BBC costumes, I suppose the blue side should have some stars, but it still looks rather similar. :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Adeona » Sep 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Nice job, Mel! Those are both pretty and functional ideas. I do think the second one looks more in keeping with the movies' style, and also a bit more feminine. I would love to see Lucy in a helmet! :D Also, definite interest in voluminous and dark cloaks - for both Susan and Edmund. I really want to see the Kings in cloaks one of these days.

I like the idea of Susan showing a touch of Calormene flair while in Tashbaan - and specifically jewelry or some sort of accessories, which I imagine Rabadash giving her. Maybe she'd wear her Narnian rings but a Calormene necklace? Or a Narnian-style dress made of Calormene fabric sent as a gift?
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Ooh, good point, Adeona! After all, Calormen would have a very different climate from Narnia, and they'd need lighter clothes during the day (but also protection from the sun!) but still warm cloaks or heavier clothes for the cool nights. I like the idea of Susan keeping the Narnian style but having some Calormene touches, like fabric... She'd need a lighter fabric and maybe some small modifications (...slightly shorter skirts? Less full ones? Loose sleeves, maybe with some slits?) but still keep pretty much the same silhouette...and stuff. XD

How about the guys in the party to Tashbaan? I imagine Edmund and the others would need some modifications to their outfits, though maybe not as much as Susan (a lighter material might be all that's needed).

Also, they didn't have sunscreen...would hats be too un-Narnian? ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am

For a Narnian gown in Calormen fabrics/trim, I might use something like this as an example... the first image superficially reminds me of Lucy's gown for the hunting of the white stag in Walden's LWW, and the second has a few design elements in common with Susan's Coronation gown from the same movie.

I think you'd have to work hard to sell me on the Narnian men wearing hats because I believe Lewis makes a point of their being bare-headed when Shasta sees them in the market. ;))
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Jul 10, 2014 9:28 am

Meltintalle wrote:I think you'd have to work hard to sell me on the Narnian men wearing hats because I believe Lewis makes a point of their being bare-headed when Shasta sees them in the market.

He did mention that some of them wore steel or silver caps set with jewels; the contrast seemed to be the simplicity compared to the elabourate turbans of the Calormenes.

The biggest contrast, aside from their physical attributes and demeanour, was the bright colours of their tunics. And bare to the knees--I wonder if that was due to the influence of English shorts--did the clothes Peter and Edmund wore change Narnian styles? Hard to tell, as Lewis emphasized the absence of starchy, uncomfortable clothes throughout the series (at least, for the enlightened characters :) )

Now dark cloaks for the flitting. That's an idea that I like. There's nothing so suggestive of danger and intrigue as a man sweeping aside his cloak to place his hand on his sword hilt. Because though the provisioning of the ship was done openly, the final boarding might easily have been done with more stealth.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Meltintalle wrote:For a Narnian gown in Calormen fabrics/trim, I might use something like this as an example...

Wow, those are beautiful and very creative! I especially like the second one. I hope we see something like those designs in the HHB film adaptation. :)

I like the idea of Susan's dresses having some Calormene flair... I want to say I remember reading once that Queen Elizabeth, when visiting another country, always tries to wear something that pays respect to the nation either in color, style or symbol. I can imagine Susan doing the same thing, out of respect for Calormene; perhaps even to the extent of wearing true Calormene outfits with a few Narnian touches. I would imagine that she would happily change back into her 100% Narnian clothes when they make their daring escape, however! Perhaps a gown that is evocative of the dress worn in Waterhouse's The Tempest?

As for Lucy, I love the second concept design that you sketched, Meltintalle! I can definitely imagine her wearing something like that, and I love the colors.

I also really love the sleeve design on the dress that the girl on the left is wearing in this painting; I can picture Lucy wearing a design like that at some point during her reign. Maybe in blue and gold?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 10, 2014 12:43 pm

Rose wrote:I can picture Lucy wearing a design like that at some point during her reign. Maybe in blue and gold?
*squints* ...or pink? :p

...I like your idea better. It would be a lovely look at the banquet in Anvard after the battle.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Mel wrote:*squints* ...or pink? :p

No wonder I could imagine her wearing it so easily! :))

Just ran across this drawing on Google; I like the unique sleeves and the detail on the bodice. I can imagine Lucy wearing something like it, if not slightly grander, to Rabadash's trial. It's also a little similar to the rust red dress that Lucy wore in Prince Caspian, so she may have liked that sort of design.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad