This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite & Least Favorite Costume

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Favorite & Least Favorite Costume

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 26, 2012 2:39 pm

This forum section, as you well know, is to discuss the costumes of Narnia, and this thread's purpose is to discuss the good and the bad. While we can generally agree that the costume department did a fantastic job, there may be some costumes that just didn't work for you. On the flip side, there may be some you loved. Which was your favorite costume? Which was your least favorite? And don't forget to tell us why. ;)

Thanks to fantasia_kitty & Pattertwig's Pal for assisting me with the idea and the creation of this thread. Side effects may include an abundance of discussion & lots of thought. ;))
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Favorite & Least Favorite Costume

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Oh, yay! Fun discussion! My favorite dress is the adult Susan dress at the end of LWW. The design, the color combination, the little details.... all so perfectly Narnian. It looks so great in the fall setting, too.

Second place is a tie between Susan's purple dress, and Lucy's red dress in PC. They're both so detailed! the colors and fabrics on Lucy's are amazing, and Susan's is such a unique design, the sleeves, the buttercup design on the front the shape of the skirt, all just... "wow." The Wardrobe Door gave me a new appreciation for that outfit.

I also really like Lucy's wardrobe dress, and the costumes Susan and Lucy/Susan wore in VDT.

Costumes I didn't like? Well, in PC Susan's red dress and Lucy's last two (I think they were pink and green) are kind of blah. I understand the idea that they were Telmarine made, and therefore not as nice as the Narnian clothes, but I still don't really like them.

Oh and Lucy in Caspian's clothes in VDT. The outfit was cool for a while, but she should have had new clothes after the Lone Islands, like it says she did in the book. I got a little tired of the outfit and it would have been nice to see her in something more girlie.

This isn't technically a costume, but the Telmarine women all having the same hairdo seems a little odd. Since when have women all done their hair exactly alike? :)
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fantasia » Jul 27, 2012 8:17 am

Costuming was one of the most solid, well done parts of all three movies. I think there was maybe one costume that I really didn't care for (see below), but aside from that, big thumbs up on the rest. :)

My favorite Costume was Susan's green dress in LWW. :D
http://costumes.narniaweb.com/sugrnarchery.asp
I just thought it screamed Narnia, and it was so simple and pretty, but it also wasn't so over-the-top I could definitely see her using it on a daily basis outdoors. :) And green is my favorite color so that helps too. ;))

My least favorite Costume was Lucy's farewell dress in PC. Interestingly enough I got to see this costume either in NYC at the premiere of PC or in the Narnia:Exhibition, I forget which, and up close it's very pretty. But on screen it was just this weird green with pink polka dots and just did not work for me.

I also have to give a nod to all of the White Witch's costumes, particularly the fact that each costume had some dead animal component. I thought that was just a brilliant idea. :D

The Lady Arwen Undómiel wrote:Since when have women all done their hair exactly alike?
I am no authority on hairstyles throughout the ages, but I would think that during time periods where woman worked hard, physically, there wouldn't be a lot of time for making your hair look pretty each day. I think woman doing their hair differently is a relatively new concept. ;)) Maybe not...
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 27, 2012 1:50 pm

My favorite costumes were mostly from the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I really liked Lucy's and Susan's dresses when they were in Narnia. I did also like Lucy's Narnia outfit, when she was on the ship, in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It's not as nice as their dresses, but I still liked it.

My least favorite outfit was the White Witch's white dress. She lavished herself with a fancy gown and fur. The dress itself wasn't too bad, but the fur didn't look very good.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 27, 2012 9:01 pm

My favourite costume would have to be the outfit Lucy is wearing when she first enters Narnia (http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensies ... post21.jpg). It's what I always picture her wearing in my mental image of her, and it's a lot of fun to draw besides.

Second would be Susan's green archery dress--it's quintessentially Narnian, and I love the design and colour. It suits Susan's personality well. This shot is a fine example of its beauty: http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pevensies ... ucamp9.jpg

My least favourite would be Caspian's farewell outfit, specifically the shirt. Just... no. No-no-no-no. Take it away and kill it with fire. http://costumes.narniaweb.com/caspian/caspian29.jpg

...Also, being who I am, I have to say that Trufflehunter's fur looked positively stunning. I must get a hold of his stylist; you can't find a better costume design. ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 30, 2012 10:24 pm

I think my favorite costume would probably be Lucy's coronation gown. But I also really liked Susan's archery dress and the dress on Jadis.

I don't think any of the costumes stood out to me as being bad. But I suppose Lucy's outfit in VDT would be what I would pick for least favorite, just because it was a bit plain.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 31, 2012 7:41 am

I'm with Narnian_Badger on the least favourite costume. ;)) Caspian's farewell outfit in PC is... visually striking for the wrong reasons. :p

Favourite outfit is harder, since I like most of the Narnian ones and the ones from our world are spot on. But definitely one of my favorites is Susan's Archery Dress. I also like Peter's travelling outfit in PC.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Mintey » Jul 31, 2012 10:29 am

I think my favorite would have to be either Susan's green archery dress, or even though it isn't truly a costume, the dress that Lucy holds up at Cair Paravel in Prince Caspian (this one):
http://i48.tinypic.com/14b25qf.png

Least favorite would have to be Lucy's school uniform. *shudders* It reminds me of the ugly jumpers I used to have to wear in my grammar school days. (They were horrible and they fit to you as if your body shape were a cardboard box.) Also, Adult King Peter and Edmund's outfits when they're riding and discover the lamppost at the end of the movie. I don't know, they just look strange - a bit too like Shakespeare, too. I just get that vibe from them.
Mintey
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Adeona » Jul 31, 2012 3:44 pm

Susan's Castle Raid outfit (which is really just the shirt liner and skirt of her daffodil dress with a leather jerkin and cuirass over the top) is my favorite costume in the movies. the colors and overall look just blow me away. It's got the purple of the travel outfit, but there's more blue lavender for a less saturated and girly-girl feel. Discussions about Susan fighting aside, this costume is perfect for the situation. She came, she saw what needed to be done, and she got busy with minimal but appropriate wardrobe change. :p It's not like they'd had time to fit her a suit of armor yet. I think we can imagine that the cuirasse used to belong to a centaur girl (not a full grown one!).

Lucy's red PC dress, Peter's PC travel outfit, and Susan's gold and red PC celebration gown are my other favorites.

Caspian's Farewell Scene outfit will forever top my [short] list of not-good Narnia costumes. Lucy's pink celebration dress is also not that great looking, (it's rather like a nightgown...) but I very much wish we'd got a better look at it. Has it ever been included in the Exhibitions?

Regarding Lucy's outfit in VDT, I am disappointed that she never wears anything really "Girly", but the versatility of her costume is quite neat. And it's of the same beautiful quality as all the costumes of the previous movies.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 01, 2013 6:25 pm

I've always loved Lucy's orange-red dress she wore in Prince Caspian for some reason. The White Witch's dress she wore most of the movie in LWW was chilling (no pun intended), really made her the cold hearted she is (again, no pun intended).

Least favorite? Hard to say. I guess I wished that in the VDT movie, Ramandu's daughter had a more detailed sort of dress.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Jul 02, 2013 3:10 pm

Favorite dress: Queen Lucy's riding dress when they're are hunting for the white stag. We see very little of it, but it is just awesome. The colors match beautifully and they blend very nicely with the autumn forrest. I love Susan's green archery dress too. It just looks comfortable.

I have to agree that Ramandu's daughter's dress was...not very cool. It looked kind of like a sack to me. I also don't really like Susan's purple dress in PC.
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Jul 03, 2013 11:41 am

Favourite costume: Susan's archery dress. It's so simple, but beautiful! I love it's colour. It's very appropriate for Narnia. A deep forest green, the colour of nature and outdoors. It's something that's very basic and can be worn again and again. I also love the simple embroidery details at the sleeves and neckline. Love it! :x

Same with the night raid outfit. I loved the colour combinations and it's praticality. It's still very Narnian with it's design and pretty enough for a queen of Narnia to wear, yet at the same time didn't scream so girly, that she couldn't wear it outside of formal gatherings. It's more suited for well.. battles and such, which is nice. Not everything can be fancy. :P

Least favorite outfit... Caspian's farewell outfit. Honestly, he looked way too much like.. Shakespere or something. I don't really know. Maybe renaissance nightwear too. Either way, it's something I never want to see on anyone ever again! :P Also... was I the only one who laughed histerically when I first saw him in this outfit during the movie? :p :ymblushing:

Honestly, I like nearly every one of Susan's outfits (except for like.. two) and I'd list them all if I could, but I won't. ;)) I wouldn't want to be here all night! Besides, my username makes it obvious that I'm a Susan fan, so who knows.. I may be biased. ;)
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Jul 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Oh goodness, I thought that the thread was called "Favorite and Least Favorite Dress", so I only wrote about the dresses, oh silly me :ymblushing:

I agreewith you TheGentleWarrior, Caspian's farewell outfit was a bit...sloppy. He looked like he was in his pajamas. I understand that they just had a big battle and all, but come on. Lucy also looked a bit uncomfortable in her shirt. What happened to the vest she had during the battle? ahhh humbug
In general I liked all the boys outfits in all the movies. I just loved the style in PC. I really like Caspian's outfit when he meets Reep and Glenstorm.
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby wolfloversk » Jul 04, 2013 6:08 pm

My favorite costumes was probably all 4 of the Pensevie's coronation sets from the end of LWW... I love velvet! They looked fantastic very Narnian...

Least fvorite was probably Susan's farewell dress in PC... it was a little too, um, flambouyant for me... it had some modern hint I didn't like... I would have preferred simpler sleeves, but that's just my personal taste :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby AstroWolfD » Jul 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Agreed on both points, Wolfie.

For my fav though,I loved the faun armour in LWW.... as well as Peter and Edmuund's of course :P But the fauns have cooler helmets... so they get the edge ;)

Least fav, echoing that dress of Susan's in PC.... and I didn't like Caspian's battle armour NEARLY as much as Peter and Edmund's once again ;)
Avi and sig by the Wonderful wolfloversk

AROOOOOOO!!!
AstroWolfD
NarniaWeb Guru
Guard Wolf of the NW WC

Postby starkat » Jul 05, 2013 2:40 pm

Favorite costume has to be either Lucy's coronation dress or Susan's archery dress. I love the colors in both.

Least favorite would likely have to be Lucy's dress at the departure scene in Prince Caspian. The color just wasn't very good on her and I didn't much care for the print.
starkat

Next