This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What would Aravis wear? Update: Calormin style in general

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: What would Aravis wear?

Postby Eustace » Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm

I think the outfit Aravis Narnia suggested would be nice when she is a beggar.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: What would Aravis wear? Update: Calormin style in general

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 19, 2012 10:08 am

I came across an illustration by Edmund Dulac that looked rather
Calormin-ish, so I searched for more. Here are some that I found.
They're all from fairytales. I know some are from a story called Blue Beard. the others I'm not sure of.
This on reminded me a lot of Aravis.

Tashbaan?
ImageThis is kind of how I imagined

Lasaraleen and her home. All it needs is a pet monkey.

A rather Calormin looking outfit.

These are the ones I think are from Blue Beard.
The clothes are so perfect!

Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 25, 2012 6:06 pm

I think something Aravis would wear would be a salwar kameez. I have one I got a few years ago, which I can picture her wearing. It's got a red skirt with sort of swirly sun designs, mirrors on the waist band, and lots of different beads on a goldish yellow top. It has a slight standing collar, a round neck, and little mirrors on the red waist border. It also has red trousers with gold borders on the bottom of the leg and neck red/gold scarf. I'm hoping to put on a picture later-I haven't had access to something I can load it online.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Adeona » Aug 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Lady Arwen Undomiel, I really like those pictures as Calormene concepts. The orange of the Tashbaan image is a great color for Calormene in general.

Aravis Narnia, that painting would definitely be great costume inspiration. Remember all the paintings used in the LWW costume design? :-bd

I drew an outfit for either Lasaraleen or possibly Aravis at home (click the thumbnail below)
I made some notes on the drawing - I'd want the long jacket to be of layers of stiff tulle (or whatever makes tutus so stiff!), cut at gradating lengths. Also, a middle layer of softer gauze to drape out of the sleeves' wrist end. I imagine sandals like these
Or these to go with it.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 13, 2013 1:21 pm

I like your costume design, Adeona! :) I'm intrigued by the layers of tulle in the sleeves; it sounds neat, but I'm having trouble visualizing it. What would the rest of the coat be made of? And how long are the sleeves? They look elbow-length in one picture, but then a little closer to wrist-length, so I'm not sure if they're pushed up or if the first cut starts at the elbow.
I'm also very curious about the overall colours; were you thinking warm or cool colours or a mixture? :)
My only little critique/uncertainty is that I'd always thought of Lasaraleen (and Aravis when she's being a proper lady at home) of wearing longer trousers, though this is probably just me. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Lady Rosalia » Jun 07, 2013 5:50 pm

Interesting! The Lady Arwen Undomiel, I love those illustrations! Those clothes look so Calormene! :ymapplause: Personally, I'd love outfits like that!
For some reason, I could picture the rural people wearing more of the "warm" colors, and in Tashbaan, the upper class (such as Lasaraleen) wearing cooler colors. Is that just me, or did I hear that somewhere? *tries to remember all tidbits of Calormene research*
How many layers do you think Aravis would have worn? I'm trying to analyze that from the pictures, and it's a bit confuzzling. Pants, tunic/dress/whatever, and then a jacket/caftan-type/over-dress? Or is there sometimes another top peeking out at the neckline (maybe underneath the tunic/dress-thing?)
What kind of trim would seem especially Calormene?
"Not all that is called progress moves us forward." - H.K. Ward
"Aslan's instructions always work, there are no exceptions."
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Jun 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Lady Rosalia wrote:What kind of trim would seem especially Calormene?

That's a good question! Since the Calormenes like stories, perhaps they would put some of their stories in the trim, maybe woven or embroidered.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm

I hadn't thought of the lower class wearing warm colors and the upper class wearing cool colours, but I think that idea could work, Lady Rosalia. :)
I'm not sure about the layers, but I'd guess less layers due to the heat, but certainly some sort of jacket at least for the cooler nights.

I like the idea of putting stories in their trim, Mel. :) For some reason I'm also picturing some brightly woven trim, perhaps metallic or golden at least? And maybe some trim with dangling metal discs, like larger sequins, but maybe that's too far out there. ;))
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 01, 2013 4:41 pm

@The Lady Arwen Undómiel
I love Edmond Dulec, I thought of the same thing when I first saw his pictures when collecting some of his art!
I believe he illustrated The Arabian Nights, which is fitting since that is what inspired Lewis for Calormen.
Here are a few more images from him that I've been collecting:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby starkat » Jul 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Except for the time she's dressed as a slave for Lasaraleen, Aravis was dressed in her brother's armor in the book at least up until they reach the Hermit if I remember correctly. I would think she would have been in something different by the time they left the tombs just because if she'd been wearing armor, the Lion's claws would not have torn her.

Her Archenland costume I could see her opt for something that looks between a cross between Narnian and Calormen. Maybe something with Calormen accents and Narnian cut and color? Just something to hint at her background. Either that or something very similar to a Narnian style dress due to her trying to leave Calormen behind her.
starkat

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 07, 2013 12:00 am

Yes, Aravis wore armour when Shasta and Bree first met her, but Shasta had to get some peasant boy's clothes for her to wear when they transited Tashbaan. The armour was put into packs the horses were to carry, as if they were something else. Aravis' armour might have been still in the horses' backpacks, to cross the desert, but Aravis still wore her slave outfit at that stage. It was safer for Aravis to be dressed like that to get through the palace. The outfit was horribly unsuitable for walking in a desert, and I wonder if the armour was left at Lazaraleen's place.

At Anvard, Aravis and Lucy were looking at clothes she could wear. I'd imagine that some of these were some of Lucy's own clothing and/or clothes from courtiers or Shasta and Corin's mother, made over. Sort of flowing, soft, practical but maybe cut down to size. A salwar kameez might be a suitable outfit for here. Most of the ones I've seen are light but practical.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 11, 2013 9:49 am

I've been enjoying looking at some images from the Lakme Fashion Week, and I present my favorites for your consideration.

One

Three
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 17, 2013 3:29 pm

Oh, wow, Meltintalle! Those are amazing and so perfect. And, 7chronicles, several of the Edmund Dulac pics I had not seen! Thank you both for sharing.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby EmpressJadis » Jun 26, 2014 7:56 pm

I have to say, there are some interesting suggestions here, but not what I pictured! Everyone has there own interpretation I suppose. My idea is hard to describe but I think it's like an Arabian princess dress. (At least, when she lived in Calormen as a tarkeena. Possible sort of like the Disney princess jasmine from Aladdin? (Don't judge I have a lot of young girl cousins! ;) ) At least I think it would have those puffy pants..,......I'll try to find an image. I drew some a while back that I was quite happy with...........I think she should wear puffy emerald satin pants and a wrap round satin top the colour of ripe apricots.....and of course turned up at the toe slippers..........Does anyone know what I mean??? So hard to describe!
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

EmpressJadis: I think I what you mean, though I'm unable to find exact pictures. Here are some toe slippers I found that are close:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... U7UufesEhw
and
http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/arabic-s ... 739148.jpg

There are also ones with longer toe curls (I'm sure that's not the actual name, but I think this way everyone knows what I'm talking about), but I (generally) prefer the smaller ones.

How puffy did you imagine the pants to be? I imagine them to be slightly thinner than most of the pictures I could find, but it also looks like I'm imagining more of the pants that go under a salwar kameez. There are different variations of course, but the ones I imagine are poofy, then getting thinner at the ankle. I have yet to find a good picture, so I hope that makes sense. :)
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 03, 2014 11:06 am

EmpressJadis, I hope you can post your costume drawings sometime. :)

Ah, those slippers are perfect (though I'd love to know the technical name for the toe curls. :p)

Something like this--or this--for the pants, Summer?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

PreviousNext