This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What would Aravis wear? Update: Calormin style in general

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: What would Aravis wear? Update: Calormin style in general

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 10, 2014 12:24 pm

When I was looking up paintings for Narnian fashion inspiration, I ran across this one. Between the flowers and the opulent backdrop, the painting reminded me of a scene one might see in Calormene. The loose, warm-colored gown also looks like something I wouldn't be surprised to see in Calormene, either, as well as the lady's hairstyle with the golden bands.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 10, 2014 7:28 pm

Yes, those are really similar to what I had imagined. Not exactly, but I think exactly what I imagined isn't in real life, so it's close enough. :)

That's pretty, Rose. It's not what I had originally imagined as Calormin clothing (but I could see it being like that now) but the hairstyle fits with what I'd thought of earlier. :)
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby aileth » Jul 10, 2014 10:37 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:The loose, warm-colored gown also looks like something I wouldn't be surprised to see in Calormene, either, as well as the lady's hairstyle with the golden bands.

You do manage to find the most suitable pictures, Rose. That's not Lasaraleen, though--her expression is too thoughtful, and the dress isn't frilly enough. But for any other Calormene girl... :)

I'll be glad if we get to see Aravis wear an example of an upper-class Calormene woman's clothing. They might just show her in the servant's outfit, and what a lost opportunity that would be.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 17, 2014 1:28 pm

aileth wrote:I'll be glad if we get to see Aravis wear an example of an upper-class Calormene woman's clothing. They might just show her in the servant's outfit, and what a lost opportunity that would be.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we actually see Aravis's home life, her first conversation with Hwin, their escape, et cetera, in the film. Which is kind of a shame, because it would be nice to hear Aravis tell her story in true Calormene fashion, but on the other hand, it will be nice to actually be able to watch her story progress, as well as see what a young Tarkheena's normal attire is!

Here's a few other Calormene-ish paintings from that same painter: here, here, and here. I really like this style of dress and general look; I can totally imagine seeing something like this in HHB.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 17, 2014 2:27 pm

I like the general atmosphere in the first one; I could totally see it as the house of a Tarkhaan. The second one is one of my favorite Godward paintings, so I'd be a happy camper if a similarly styled costume showed up. :ymdaydream:
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby EmpressJadis » Jul 18, 2014 7:11 pm

So true. I saw a while ago an awesome dress which I thought might be good as either Lasaraleen or Aravis' dress. I'll try to find it to post.
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 29, 2014 12:20 pm

I can imagine those Godward dresses having large, flowing pants (not unlike some of the ones you guys were talking about on the last page) instead of skirts, too. That would be a really neat design. Do you know what kind of fabric the dresses are made out of, Meltintalle? I really like it. It looks very light and airy; perfect for the Calormene climate. I also can't think of anything we've seen in the Narnia films that looks like it; it's nice that it would have a distinct look for a distinct culture.

Let us know if you find that picture, EmpressJadis! (Is it all right if I call you Em? :) )
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 29, 2014 2:19 pm

Rose wrote:Do you know what kind of fabric the dresses are made out of, Meltintalle? I really like it.

Perhaps a fine linen? Or a chiffon? *ponders* Compare the pictures with this chiffon gown (Salvatore Ferragamo 2012)

I do agree that the Calormenes should have a look quite distinct from Narnia and Archenland. So here's a question for our collective creative minds... if the ladies are in this light, airy, stuff, can you imagine the guys in the same fabric? What are they going to wear and how will it be similar and how will it be dissimilar? :-\
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby aileth » Jul 29, 2014 9:56 pm

What, Anradin going to war in a flowered cambric? Somehow I can't picture it. Oh, you mean for household wear? Oh, that might be a different story.

Mind you, there's no reason why the men should have heavy material under their armour. It might be detrimental, in fact. A light tunic to prevent the leather and metal from chafing, and no reason why it shouldn't be embroidered: the richer the owner, the fancier the decorations.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Chiffon looks like it might be right. It's certainly ideal for warm climates, anyway. I wonder if the costume designers wouldn't have to layer it to get the right weight and thickness, though. :-?

I hadn't even given the men's fashion any thought until now. :-o I kind of like the idea of a lot of chiffon for women and fine linen for the men; they're both nice and cool. Lewis does tell us that they wear long, flowing robes and orange-colored turbans. (Maybe the brightly-colored headgear gives us a hint that they favor bright hues in the rest of their clothes?) I actually like the idea of their robes having a lot of embroidery. They have such flowery language; it seems to match.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Eustace » Feb 20, 2017 11:43 pm

I have thought about the Calormin style a great deal and I imagine that it would look somewhat like the dresses worn in Elephant Princess the Australian Tv show. Maybe not exposing the belly but rather the color and the look. I also love the head adornment.
http://www.newvideo.com/new-video-digital/the-elephant-princess-seasons-1-2/

https://www.moviestillsdb.com/tv/the-elephant-princess-i1364465/iUkQoF
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous