This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Polly Plummer

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Polly Plummer

Postby EmpressJadis » Jun 30, 2014 7:23 pm

Really? Blond? It's interesting how everyone has a different interpretation. I always pictured her as sort of Titan haired. I like your idea though.
Let's not forget that she must be a young lady of the late eighteen hundreds by my estimation.

( Because the pevensies meet Proffesor Digory Kirke in the midst of WW2, by which point he is almost eighty I think. So that places his and Polly's birth around 1860)

I agree with the blue. I think that might be what she wears in The Magicians Nephew. Perhaps knee length baby blue with white tights and a sweet hand knit crochet collar. And then a white cotton blouse underneath the blue pinafore. And definitely a starched petticoat or two. And her long waved Titan (in my imagination) flowing out with a matching blue hair ribbon.

(PS. Titan hair is just another way of saying red haired)
EmpressJadis

Just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget

The Call, Prince Caspian
(Song by Regina Spektor)
EmpressJadis
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 03, 2014 10:53 am

I love all those pictures you've posted, PhelanVelval. Great work at finding applicable reference images. I'm rather fond of the dress on the left in the first picture myself.

And in the second one... are those stripes, or actual ruffles on her socks? (I sort of doubt the later, it seems utterly impractical and they're too close to the leg to be pantaloons which often are ruffled.) Either way, it comes across as super cute.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Those old pictures are amazing, PhelanVelvel! All of the dresses are really cute and Polly-ish, although I agree with you about the collar on the second one. It's very evocative of the Pauline Baynes' illustrations, and I'm afraid her artwork has always had a great influence on my mental image of characters. ;)) It's possible that we'll see Polly wear two dresses, since she went home with her shoes and stockings all wet after returning to London the first time. There's a good chance that she'd change before meeting up with Digory again.

(It's incredible how much that last picture looks like Polly! I kind of want to believe that it actually is her. ;)))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 13, 2014 2:36 pm

I don't think I've ever consulted Pinterest as a resource for anything besides clothing from previous eras, lol. That's where I found those three images. There is a veritable treasure trove of Victorian/Edwardian fashion on there. I think we'll definitely see Polly in at least two dresses. People love to see a variety of outfits on their film characters and I'm sure Hollywood knows that.

MN is where we really need to see a costume designer with Victorian/Edwardian fashion experience to make it look both aesthetically pleasing and believable. Giving Polly a distinct look, as well (the way Alice has a distinct look) will open up all sorts of cosplay options. Yes please. :U
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Something of interest I found on Wikipedia
so, depending on what age the filmmakers make her, the hem of her skirt should vary accordingly.
Some other nice pics I've come across.
This girl's skirt appears to be much too short :)

I love the enormous bow in this girl's hair!
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 13, 2014 5:25 pm

Wow, that's really interesting. I didn't even realise there was such an emphasis on hemline by age. XD I thought it was just kind of like...be modest and we're cool with it. Lol. What are those shoes called, do you know? There's something I dig about those shoes with tights.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aileth » Aug 14, 2014 7:15 am

Anfinwen wrote:So, depending on what age the filmmakers make her, the hem of her skirt should vary accordingly

Therefore, if they are accurate, we will know what age they mean her to be. Hmmm...
Isis Mussenden was painstaking in her details, even to the choice of material for the clothing. If the costumers, whoever they be, are as careful, they will probably take such matters into account.

Button-up boots, Phelan? I think that's what LM Alcott called them. Maybe they have another name, too. The buttons would always fly off at just the wrong moment, such as if you were in a hurry, or some place where repair was impossible.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Anfinwen » Aug 16, 2014 6:58 am

aileth wrote:Button-up boots, Phelan? I think that's what LM Alcott called them. Maybe they have another name, too. The buttons would always fly off at just the wrong moment, such as if you were in a hurry, or some place where repair was impossible.

Yes, and the buttons were so difficult to fasten that there was a special tool called a button hook. In "A little Princess" staring Shirley Temple there is a scene in which Sara struggles with a button hook and her boot buttons.
This one is from Etsy.

Despite the fact that the book says Polly is wearing shoes, I always imagined her wearing boots like these. Perhaps Lewis said shoes meaning footwear in general.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » Aug 19, 2014 5:11 pm

Anfinwen wrote:
aileth wrote:Button-up boots, Phelan? I think that's what LM Alcott called them. Maybe they have another name, too. The buttons would always fly off at just the wrong moment, such as if you were in a hurry, or some place where repair was impossible.

Yes, and the buttons were so difficult to fasten that there was a special tool called a button hook. In "A little Princess" staring Shirley Temple there is a scene in which Sara struggles with a button hook and her boot buttons.
This one is from Etsy.

Despite the fact that the book says Polly is wearing shoes, I always imagined her wearing boots like these. Perhaps Lewis said shoes meaning footwear in general.

Wow, I didn't know that! Crazy. I'd like to get a pair of those so I could try my skills at fastening them. XD Polly looks like she's wearing them in Pauline Baynes' illustrations, at any rate, doesn't she?
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 21, 2014 8:41 am

I checked the illustrations from Magician's Nephew, Phelan and it looks like Polly is wearing a pair of two-tone button boots. :)

And since we're on the subject, y'all might be interested in this article on how button boots are supposed to fit.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Previous