This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Jill Pole

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 01, 2013 6:48 pm

The Lady Arwen Undómiel posted these images over in Cast and Character discussion (here)

I really like the knit hat and blazer combination in the first image. It seems to suit the idea of Jill quite well.

The other thing I've noticed is that we seem to keep circling around to the idea of a grey or plaid school uniform; and there's a similar sameness to the more Narnian outfits. So, when Silver Chair is costumed, do you think the costume designer should stick to expectations or should they try and wow us with something totally different?
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby starkat » Jul 05, 2013 8:22 pm

I would vote for a minor change. Maybe something in regards to the types of fabrics. Something that would be considered "modern" for the school uniform for the time period. As the Experiment House was one of those crazy schools, I could see them pushing a new type of uniform on the kids. Or something that looked very military in style even.

For her Narnian clothes, something like Susan wore in PC during the battle. Not with the leather or chain mail, but something in that style that's a bit more fitting for travel.
starkat

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 03, 2014 10:15 am

*blows dust off the thread* A-CHOO! ;))

I did a series of Narnian inspired drawings and 2nd to One commented that this reminded him of Jill in Last Battle.

It sort of hearkens back to my all-time favorite possible Jill costume which also has the double breasted long vest. But I think this is almost too cheerful for LB.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 03, 2014 11:42 am

Wow, I love that design, Meltintalle! It really blends feminine and practical elements so seamlessly, and those two themes really do emcompass Jill's style, in my mind. Love the colors, too! Soft browns and blues always look so nice together.

Your other design is lovely as well! Beautiful shade of blue, and I love the cape, overdress and embroidery. I do see what you mean about it seeming almost too cheerful/fancy for The Last Battle, though... at least, when they're still fighting in Narnia. It might be just the thing for when she finds herself in Aslan's Country.

It could also potentially work for The Silver Chair, provided that the filmmakers have Jill remain in the nice, Narnian clothes given to her at Cair Paravel instead of changing back into her sweater and shorts before going on the quest. (I have never understood why shorts are supposed to be a good idea when going on a hike to the snowy north. /:)) Out of the things that the willow dryad gave her to wear, one of the few pieces Jill takes with her is a hooded cape, so that already fits. :D
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby jewel » Jul 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Simply say cute.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aileth » Jul 29, 2014 9:51 pm

I can't make up my mind whether I would rather that Jill switched back to her shorts and sweater. The chance to see her wearing Narnian clothes more often is not to be despised, but then the contrast of her in the dress provided by the giantesses would be stronger if she went from shorts to a long, frilly sort of dress. Which, by the way, should be looking somewhat the worse for wear after the long descent into the Underworld.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 12:33 pm

It is true that having Eustace and Jill dressed lightly on their journey north would make the weather conditions seem all the more appalling. Still, it makes me shiver just thinking about it. ;))

Maybe the costume designs could compromise and have Jill wear her school sweater over a simple Narnian dress? A mismatched outfit could actually be kind of cool and unique, especially considering what kind of school uniform elements you could play around with. (A striped tie re-purposed as a belt, for instance, or the uniform's vest over a lovely Narnian undershirt.)
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous