This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia Style Day

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Narnia Style Day

Postby Heroine of Chivalry » Sep 05, 2009 7:49 am

This is a thread for discussing Narnia Style Day and relevant issues such as adjusting modern day wear to be more Narnian. A few things that could be discussed are:

~Should Narnia Style Day/Weekend next year join up with the Narnia Day crew and celebrate at the same time, or keep the date from last year (April 25th) to celebrate the start of the Inklings?

~When we celebrated Narnia Style Day before, several people were disappointed to have missed/forgotten about it. Would someone, or several someones, like to volunteer to PM people who had shown interest previously as the date approaches?

~Once the date for the next celebration is decided, would someone volunteer to announce it on TheLionsCall, Aslan's Country, and any other Narnia sites of which they are a member?

~After everything is settled for the next Narnia Style Day, should someone see about getting it posted on the front page or something?

I hope you all have a great time talking and posting pictures and whatnot. See ya'll in four months, hopefully! :-h
Heroine of Chivalry
NarniaWeb Junkie

Re: Narnia Style Day

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 08, 2009 7:12 pm

I do think that the Narnia Style Weekend should stay the same - it will be simpler to remember and plan for, IMO. SnowAngel and I "missed" it last year, due to family activities, but hopefully not this time! ;;)

A PM reminder is a great idea, Charlotte. B-) Several someones is even better, depending on how long the list would be.

I'm not on the other Narnia websites, but I could bring it up elsewhere. I'm trying to persuade my Internet friends to join NW, so this might be the perfect opportunity!

~Scarlet
Av by Wunderkind_Lucy & Sig by flambeau
President of the Come What May Club - PM me to join!
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby PrincessMia241 » Sep 09, 2009 12:34 pm

What is Narnia Style Day? Dressing up Narnian?
avy by narniagirl90
PrincessMia241
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Djaq » Sep 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Hello all!

Charlotte wrote:~Should Narnia Style Day/Weekend next year join up with the Narnia Day crew and celebrate at the same time, or keep the date from last year (April 25th) to celebrate the start of the Inklings?

I'm not sure. I think it's a good idea, but I didn't really know anything about Narnia Day last year. What date was it on? I also like April 25th. ;))

Do we have any volunteers for PMing people to advertise? :D It'd be a big help! ;;)

I'm not a member of any other Narnia Forum, so is someone else interested in letting them know about it? :)

It's great to have you "join" us, Scarlet (and SnowAngel)! :D
This will be fun!

Scarlet wrote:I'm trying to persuade my Internet friends to join NW, so this might be the perfect opportunity!

That's great! I hope that they join! :D

Hey, PrincessMia! Narnia Style Day is when you dress up in a Narnian outfit, and wear it to maybe a store on a certain date. :) (sorry, I'm not very good at describing things) Or, you can wear an outfit that's more "modern", and make it look slightly Narnian. :)
I hope you join us!

~Djaq
When things fall apart, be glue.

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Adeona » Sep 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Wow. I didn't hear about this year's Narnian Style Day until too late. I would like to be a part of it next year. I don't have a date preference.
I'll have to look through my wardrobe to find some suitably Narnian pieces... I don't think I'll have much to chose from :-s .
I can pm a few people if I'm given a list and particulars. I do not have a good friends list built up yet, so just pming my friends would not be much good.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Sep 28, 2009 6:17 pm

Adeona wrote: I can pm a few people if I'm given a list and particulars. I do not have a good friends list built up yet, so just pming my friends would not be much good.

Same with me. I'm willing to help, but I don't want to commit until I know what my school schedule is going to be like.

Question for you girls - what kind of shoes seem to fit with Narnia style? I don't mean strict copies of what Susan and Lucy wore in the LWW and PC, just something with a somewhat similiar feel. I've got tan colored mary janes (leather, of course!) that I think might work and also a pair of cocoa brown heels by Softt that has that old-fashioned look. Any other ideas? Should the vamp be high or low? Heels or not? Buckles, slip ons, or lace ups? Or anything goes?

~Scarlet
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Djaq » Oct 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Welcome aboard, Adeona and Scarlet!!

Adeona, I'm not sure who we should PM about it. I have a couple of friends that I can tell about it, but I don't know who else would be interested.
If everyone just wants to PM their friends on here, that sounds good... :)

Scarlet wrote:Question for you girls - what kind of shoes seem to fit with Narnia style? [....] Should the vamp be high or low? Heels or not? Buckles, slip ons, or lace ups? Or anything goes?

I think that simple flats (or mary janes) would work pretty well. I just got a pair of white flats (Jessica Simpson brand), and I think that they'll be right if I need to use them. :) I also think that boots will be good. Susan wears some boots with her battle dress, so I guess it depends on the outfit. :) Heels would probably work as long as they aren't strap-y, you know?

Anyone else interested? :D

I'm still not sure what kind of outfit I'm going to wear, but I have plenty of time to decide. ;))

~Djaq

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Peepiceeka » Oct 04, 2009 5:22 pm

:) I'll volunteer as well to PM or advertise on other sites if I can. Just PM me so that I can know when to send out the messages and to whom. Probably if you talked to Tirian or Fantasia_Kitty, they would tell you if you could post it on the front page.

In terms of the "Shoes" question, Ballet flats would work well I think. They're not too showy and yet they would go well with Narnian style dresses. ;)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Oct 06, 2009 4:40 pm

Ballet flats or mary janes I definitely like, Djaq and Peepiceeka.

Okay, girls: let the opinions pour in! Are these suitable for Narnian-ish shoes?

I have a black pair of flats just like this, minus the decorative-pintuck-type-thing:http://sc7img.dillards.com/zoomImage.jsp?zoomDomain=sc7img&product=03094787
And tan like these mary janes: http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/womens/casual/bouillon-maryjane/1650/detail.aspx
Also clogs like this pair of Sofft's, but in brown with a bronze buckle detail: http://www.sofftshoe.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=1038 Although, they're probably too clunky to work with any of my skirts. But maybe with tights?
Can't find a pair of heels on Sofft's site that look like my brown pair. Guess that means I'll have to take my own pics!

~Scarlet

Disclaimer: I did not pay full price for any of these shoes. ;)
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lillian » Oct 13, 2009 2:35 pm

First, I want to thank Djaq for introdicing me to Narnia Style Day!!

Secondly, I would be more than happy to help PM people! All I would need is a list of those who you would want me to PM. :)

Lastly, I am one of those people who loves clothing, especially costumes! So getting to dress up Narnian will be so much fun!! My only problem would be making something Narnian. I have NEVER made a costume in my life, but I may be able to make something that I already own look Narnian.

Thanks again Djaq! :D
Avatar and Signature by lover of narnia Thank you!
Lillian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Peepiceeka » Oct 16, 2009 6:45 pm

I'm going to take the pattern suggestions from Wardrobe Door website and use the same color fabric seen in the movies for Susan's archery dress! :) I'll post pics once I have them done. ;)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Scarlet_Trefoil » Oct 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Lillian wrote: My only problem would be making something Narnian. I have NEVER made a costume in my life, but I may be able to make something that I already own look Narnian.

Lillian, I can't wait to see what you come up with! I have a thrifted blouse that I'm planning to attempt fit both me and the "Narnia style". I'd love to how your outfit(s) comes together.

Peepiceeka wrote:I'm going to take the pattern suggestions from Wardrobe Door website and use the same color fabric seen in the movies for Susan's archery dress! :) I'll post pics once I have them done. ;)
Peepiceeka, that sounds too lovely. I think that's my favorite of Susan's LWW dresses, so I look forward to seeing your rendition.

~Scarlet
Scarlet_Trefoil
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lillian » Oct 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks Scarlet! I hope I will be able to pull something together. :)

Peepiceeka, I can't wait to see how it comes out!! In agreement with Scarlet Susan's archery dress is definately one of my favorites. :D

~Lilli
Avatar and Signature by lover of narnia Thank you!
Lillian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Djaq » Oct 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Sorry I haven't been around lately. . . :ymblushing:

Peepiceeka wrote: :) I'll volunteer as well to PM or advertise on other sites if I can. Just PM me so that I can know when to send out the messages and to whom.

Thank you! :D
I don't have any particular list of people to PM, so if you have some friends that you think might be interested, go for it! :)
Hmm, as to when to PM people, it'd be good for them to have a lot of advance notice if they do want to participate. Um, probably at least before March?

I can't wait to see your dress when it's finished, Peepiceeka! :D

Scarlet, cute shoes! I think the first pair you posted look the most "Narnian". They will probably work really well! :)

Yay! Lillian! I'm so glad that you're here! :D I hope that you have fun coming up with an outfit!

On the subject of costumes and dressing up, this sounds really neat! I think that you can use pieces similar to Narnian outfits to make a Marian one (or vice versa)! :D I've been going through my wardrobe today trying to figure out if I have anything that would work as a costume, but with a modern twist. :)

Okay, gals, what do you think; should I do a Narnian dress (like an actual costume from the movies), or try to be more creative and make something that's slightly modern (top and a pants/skirt ensemble)?

~Djaq

Team Hoodie!!
Djaq
Moderator Emeritus
Djaq Of All Trades

Postby Adeona » Oct 23, 2009 11:10 pm

Scarlet_Trefoil wrote:Question for you girls - what kind of shoes seem to fit with Narnia style? I don't mean strict copies of what Susan and Lucy wore in the LWW and PC, just something with a somewhat similiar feel.

How about comfortable sandals?

The first pair you suggested in your next post look awesome; definitely something I can imagine Susan or Lucy wearing.
Good job not paying full price. That's the only way to go, what with some of the prices you see these days!

I've never made any type of clothes before, just a [very bizarre] quilted cloak for one of my stuffed animals when I was about ten. I've been wanting to make myself a green linen cape for quite a while now; I've even purchased a pattern and a fastener for the throat. But I am too nervous to actually purchase the cloth and start cutting!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Peepiceeka » Nov 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Djaq wrote
Okay, gals, what do you think; should I do a Narnian dress (like an actual costume from the movies), or try to be more creative and make something that's slightly modern (top and a pants/skirt ensemble)?

Probably the classic dress get-up. It doesn't necessarily have to be a particular design from the movies, but would make it look very Narnian, unless you were perhaps going to dress up as Aravis in which case pants are a good option. :)

Adeona wrote
I've never made any type of clothes before, just a [very bizarre] quilted cloak for one of my stuffed animals when I was about ten. I've been wanting to make myself a green linen cape for quite a while now; I've even purchased a pattern and a fastener for the throat. But I am too nervous to actually purchase the cloth and start cutting!

Go for it! But the best thing to do would be to start small with projects like pillows, blankets, and such. If you have a friend or relative who knows how to sew, ask them if they could teach you a few things! Because eventually you will be able to create a dress. It's not really that hard if you know all the basics. :)
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Next