This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

3 – The Sailing of the King

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Re: 3 – The Sailing of the King

Postby Col Klink » Mar 21, 2020 5:25 pm

When I was a little kid and I'd read in a book that the characters heard a story or read a book, I'd want to know what that story or that book was about. (This was before I understood how hard it is to come up with just one story, let alone a story within a story.) So I really like that Lewis tells us what the story Jill and Eustace heard was. ;))
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: 3 – The Sailing of the King

Postby aileth » Mar 21, 2020 8:46 pm

7.Why does it never occur to Jill to simply write down the signs?

Don't know why--but I can think of one reason why she maybe shouldn't have written them down. What if she had, and they had fallen into the wrong hands? Enter the villain! I think she would have had to lose them one way or the other. After all, there wouldn't be much story if they had followed the signs exactly (or at least a very different story).

Too, if she had done it perfectly, and consequently had no remorse and no striving to do better, she might not have learned the real lesson she needed, which was to trust Aslan, no matter what happened. Or imagine if they had got the first three signs right, became complacent, and muffed the fourth.

Col Klink wrote:When I was a little kid and I'd read in a book that the characters heard a story or read a book, I'd want to know what that story or that book was about. (This was before I understood how hard it is to come up with just one story, let alone a story within a story.) So I really like that Lewis tells us what the story Jill and Eustace heard was. ;))

Yes, and often he did leave us hanging, without explaining details, so it's nice that he was kind to us. But if all the other hinted-at stories were as good as HHB, I wish he had written them all :((
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Previous