This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How should the Giants be portrayed?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

How should the Giants be portrayed?

Postby narnia fan 7 » Sep 10, 2016 12:33 pm

I've been thinking latey about how the Giants will be portrayed in the film, both technically and how they will look.

Since we are fairly certain that Silver Chair will have a smaller budget then any of the previous films, I would be inclined to think it likely that they will do them using real actors with forced perspective and scaled sets and not fully CGI giants, I know that's how they did Rumblebuffin and Wimblweather in the first two films though they had vary little screen time, but since in the Silver Chair you do have scenes with giants interacting with normal sized people perhaps some CG would be necessary.

As for there look, I think it might be a interesting idea for them to emphasize the difference between the giants of Ettinsmoor and the one at Harfang, not just in there intelligence and behavior but also there physical appearance. like perhaps the Ettinsmoor giants could be a little bigger more imposing and more wild looking and perhaps have subtlehy exaggerated features then the Harfang giants, the contrast between them might make the Harfang giants seem more trust worthy at first to the audience.
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: How should the Giants be portrayed?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Good idea for a discussion!

I agree with you on emphasizing the difference between the Ettinsmoor giants and the Harfang giants... Lewis describes the giants at the gorge as being almost grotesque, whereas Jill thinks that the king of the Harfang giants is good-looking as far as giants go, with a good nose and a fine beard. Even they, though, are not exactly human-looking, so I would imagine that at least some prosthetics might be in order to create the desired effect. The Ettinsmoor giants, on the other hand, might require CGI (especially since they're initially camouflaged in the scenery), but I don't think that would be the end of the world given that they don't figure into the story very much and should have little screen-time.

And then there's also Father Time, the greatest of all giants, who lies sleeping in Underland: his face is described as not like the giants but "noble and beautiful." (I've always imagined George MacDonald when I read this part.) I hope this part of the book isn't cut! Since Father Time essentially just looks like an enormous man, it wouldn't be very expensive to include, and it's rather important for The Last Battle.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 26, 2016 7:24 pm

I like the idea of using CGI sparingly with the giants. For one thing, CGI tends to age pretty quickly, even though it's come in leaps and bounds. For another, I think size doubles and set scaling and perspective can have very nice results (I'm mainly thinking of the LotR films, particularly Gandalf and Bilbo in Bag End ;)) ). Of course Hobbits and Giants have rather different scaling, but I think the concept would still work fairly well.

Also, good point, Rose, about Father Time. I do wonder how they will do that part, and I hope it isn't cut. I don't have my book handy to check the description, but do you think they might put him more on "display"? I could see the party entering more of a cavern in which Father Time is sleeping on an elevated table/slab in the middle of the room.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby fantasia » Sep 27, 2016 7:05 am

I guess I kind of assumed they would use the same technique that they did with Gandalf and the Hobbits and Dwarves in the "Lord of the Rings" movies. Two different shots with stand-ins so the actors know where to look and interact with the others that aren't really there. I assume building two different sets and props and whatnot is cheaper than CGI. ;))
I would think at this point CGI has become quite a lot cheaper than it used to be.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin