This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lady of the Green Kirtle (Cast suggestions)

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Lady of the Green Kirtle (Cast suggestions)

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I like how tall Sutherland is, Anfinwen, and that's a good point about her eyes, Glim. While resemblance to Tilda Swinton isn't a dealbreaker (all I care about is that the LotGK is not Swinton, or meant to be Swinton ;))), I do think that her features might be a little too fierce for the character. She looks awfully warrior princess-y to me, although I do like that ageless quality you mention.

Another possibility I ran across the other day is British actress Rebecca Hall. Looking at her IMDb page, she has plenty of film experience, but she is also a stage actress: her father was the founder of the Royal Shakespeare Company and one of her early roles was Rosalind in As You Like It. With dark hair and eyes, though, she doesn't quite jive with Pauline Baynes' illustrations... but on the bright side, she doesn't look much like Tilda Swinton. ;))
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of when I suggested Kylie Minogue. She is younger and fluffier in the link, but in a more recent music clip she looked just perfect for LOTGK. She was in a long, white trailing dress with a cohort of formally dressed men surrounding her for a particular music item. The Silent Knight would definitely have been listening to her musical voice in that clip.

Not necessarily Kylie Minogue, now, as she is of the 1960's generatlon, but someone who looks a bit like her. Almost kittenish, fluffy, cuddly, even for a bullied young girl, alluring and "harmless". Until she really loses her temper and turns into a snake of course. ;;)

Some actresses, like Alyssa Sutherland, look almost headmistress-like. Or warrior-princess, like, otherwise.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jul 02, 2017 7:02 pm

I think Alyssa Sutherland could pull it off. She still isn't my ideal but I think is the closest I've seen. From the pictures it seems that she can do a variety of emotions.

I'm not sure if my ideal exists. I want someone who can look sweet and innocent enough that the children and Rilian can trust her and yet at the same time feel wrong enough that Drinian and Puddleglum (and maybe the audience).
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby fantasia » Jul 03, 2017 6:04 am

I see the LotGK as eye-candy, and also a very strong, but friendly personality of someone who will draw you in quite easily. Almost sickening sweet perhaps? As Twigs mentioned, Puddleglum is turned off by her.

Someone I've been eyeing (though she's a bit more on the young side) is Cara Delevingne.

Do you think the filmmakers will make her Scottish/Irish like she is in the book with those rolling 'r's? ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I wouldn't cast her even if I had a time machine because I don't think she was a great enough actress, but the closest person to my mental image of the LotGK is probably Loretta Young. She's always reminded me of the Pauline Baynes drawing of the LotGK with the mandolin, especially in films where she had long hair.

I see the LotGK as someone who comes across as very genial and inviting and draws people nearer as though she is a warm hearth... and most people don't realize that the beautiful fire is all smoke and mirrors until it's too late. I really hope the filmmakers don't try to make her seem more like a seductive, wily character... she is someone who is trying to impersonate goodness, the opposite of her true form.

When I think about the LotGK being portrayed in film, especially when wondering if the filmmakers try to conceal her evil nature initially, I sometimes feel like I am thinking about two different people... a younger, innocent woodland nymph that distracts Rilian from his grief, and then later in the story, an older, wiser, more maternal, seemingly caring but ultimately psychologically dangerous woman. It's hard to synthesize those two ideas into one actress. ;)) Ageless is perhaps one of the most important qualities she can have!

It's funny, fk, because Lewis says she trills her Rs from the outset and then my internal reading voice completely disregards this for the rest of the book. ;)) I can imagine a soft Scottish or Irish accent working well, though.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Eustace » Aug 20, 2017 7:42 am

Although, I would personally prefer a redhead, Katie Mcgrath did come to mind as an option because she can pull off being evil and beautiful.

https://goo.gl/images/HdpLFn
She is very pretty and is even wearing a green dress that looks perfect for the part.

I think when considering the casting for LOTGK, her character or the audience's reaction to her character should be mentioned. If Katie Mcgrath was cast, I think no one in the audience would be surprised that she is evil, if on the other hand they want her to seem nice to the audience and then come as a surprise later, they might want to cast someone who is not well known playing an evil sorceress.

Edit: I thought of another actress for LOTGK. Amy-Joyce Hastings is less well known, but I found a picture of her in a green cape that presented my ideal image of LOTGK. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0368557/mediaviewer/rm163684864
I am not sure if she is a natural red head or not but here she is a blonde:
https://www.facebook.com/AmyJoyceHastings.Actress/photos/photo-by-film-venture/1712395868789005/

Here she is in the green cape:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1890559/mediaviewer/rm4113174528
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:It's funny, fk, because Lewis says she trills her Rs from the outset and then my internal reading voice completely disregards this for the rest of the book. ;)) I can imagine a soft Scottish or Irish accent working well, though.

That is so important about those trilling "R" sounds. A soft Scottish or Irish accent would be just the thing for whoever plays LOTGK. As would similar American or Canadian accents. You may not notice it in North America very much but south of the Equator trying to speak in English day to day trilling those "r" sounds to a Scottish prescription is very hard, unless one breaks up words into syllables. It is easy to say Mur-rumbidgee, but it is very difficult for me to say for example, "It's a braw bricht moonlicht nicht tonicht".
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous