This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Pairings?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Pairings?

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

Lol Wild Rose you made me smile for a moment there too. It is pretty funny I guess. I got this mental image of girls dressed in "Team Lucirian" and "Team Jilrian" pulling Tirian on opposite sides of his arms. Of course we all know who won in my dream. Jilrian! :D

However Jill and Tirian hints and character development are throughout the entire book so it's easy for most people to see why they can work better if they're not already Jiltace fans *shivers*

If and when The last Battle is made the scriptwriters are not going to write Lucy's dialog long like it is in the book they are going to get to the point and get Lucy reunited with her older friends in Aslan's Country as possible. Therefore there would be no time to develop something between her and Tirian. I just don't see it happening or working. 8-}
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am

Really, that brings up an excellent point as to why adding non-canon pairings to adaptations is a bad idea--it's probably going to bring in a lot more angry fans than it will pleased ones. ;)) Fanon works in Fanfictions and the like because it's, well, fanon, and said fans can pick and choose what they like. In a film, they don't really have a choice.

(And I can't be held responsible for my actions if someone starts up a Team rivalry :P )
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Jul 27, 2012 11:08 am

haha, believe it or not, I see Lucy and Tirian being developed cause I support them, maybe it would be best if the movie is ever made, that there is no romance for Tirian at all, then we won't have anything to fight over :p (and that way, in a way, all fans will be happy, including the ones who dont want any romance at all) But of course, I suppose we will have to trust future directors judgment, if the movie is ever made. Though honestly, I'd even be fine with Jill and Tirian, if only they would make a good film of the Last Battle. :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 27, 2012 11:10 am

^ I agree with you Narnian_Badger.

Still hoping to get little hints from Jill and Tirian that is already in the book. I hope they have a scene where Jill shows Tirian her archery skills like in the book where they mentioned it happening. :D That would make me happy to see. :ymblushing:
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 27, 2012 11:24 am

wild rose wrote:But of course, I suppose we will have to trust future directors future judgment, if the movie is ever made. Though honestly, I'd even be fine with Jill and Tirian, if only they would make a good film of the Last Battle. :)

Except I don't trust the judgement of directors when it comes to Narnia. XD See, the way I see it, the secret to a good film is always in the characters (the success of The Avengers is a fine example of this). And, to have a romance with Tirian would be to thrust the two lovebirds out of their original character, which is baaaaad. Also, it would add a secondary character beat (and plot) that would take away from the story. Since it doesn't add anything to the main storyline, I think it would only serve to take away from it.

...Which would be baaaaaad. :P
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Jul 27, 2012 11:31 am

Personally, I don't see Narnia as a "romantic" place, meaning a place where there are a lot of romances between characters. Most of the characters are children after all. The romance when it happens is subtle and often behind the scenes. I think they should use as much dialog as possible from the books and film it the way it is written. Then the fans can read into it whatever they wish, if anything.

I really like how Aravis and Shasta's relationship develops in the book. I want it exactly like that in the movie. That being said, I wouldn't mind some hint at the very end toward a future romance / marriage. Perhaps someone could say say to them "You fight like a married couple."
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby wild rose » Jul 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Narnian_Badger wrote:Except I don't trust the judgement of directors when it comes to Narnia. XD See, the way I see it, the secret to a good film is always in the characters (the success of The Avengers is a fine example of this). And, to have a romance with Tirian would be to thrust the two lovebirds out of their original character, which is baaaaad. Also, it would add a secondary character beat (and plot) that would take away from the story. Since it doesn't add anything to the main storyline, I think it would only serve to take away from it.

...Which would be baaaaaad. :P

good point :)
I would trust a director's judgment if I knew the director was a good one and would stay true to the book (which would mean keeping out romances *sigh* :p but then, it (romance) really can't be everywhere :p )
I suppose it would be best to keep the romances in the imgination of the fans and not on big screen. :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 27, 2012 2:20 pm

wild rose wrote::) I have to admit, this whole thing with Lucy and Tirian and Jill and Tirian made me smile. Poor king Tirian, different fans pulling him in different directions :p But I suppose in reality, one is just as ridiculous as the other.

I, on the other hand, think that Lucy and Tirian is more ridiculous than Jill and Tirian. Tirian only meets Lucy in Aslan's Country - the Narnian equivalent of Heaven, and in Heaven there is no "taking or giving in marriage". So in my opinion there shouldn't be any pairings in Aslan's Country either.

Jill and Tirian meet in Narnia, though. But she's a bit too young for him. She may have a brief crush on him, that would be possible, but nothing very developed. And they don't meet in a situation where they could afford to pay much attention to such matters. So they would still be a ridiculous pairing, only slightly less ridiculous than the other combination.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 27, 2012 6:45 pm

Varnafinde wrote:
Jill and Tirian meet in Narnia, though. But she's a bit too young for him.

The Last Battle takes place 7 years after The Silver Chair. Jill Pole would already grew up by then.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I had forgotten that SC was that early. The age difference wouldn't make the pairing ridiculous then.

I still don't think it's very realistic that a romance would happen, because of the situation they meet each other in. Too much to worry about.

I also think that Eustace would have been more suitable for Jill, because they have been in a similar situation as Cor and Aravis - but it's not canonical.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 27, 2012 9:05 pm

Right; Jill and Eustace would've been about 17, if I'm remembering correctly (EDIT: Which I didn't; they're 16).
Varnafinde wrote:I still don't think it's very realistic that a romance would happen, because of the situation they meet each other in. Too much to worry about.

Quite so. The middle of a war zone is not conducive to romance. ;))

IF we had to pick a pairing, I'd go with Jill/Eustace, only because they've known each other for a decent enough time, are close in age, and have plenty in common. I'd still be a lot happier with no romance, though.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 27, 2012 9:10 pm

Jill and Eustace are friends and always that like CS Lewis said in Silver Chair. It would be worse then Suspian in my opinion.

Also I never said Jill and Tirian should be romantic and that it would be evident to put some moments and small hints with them since they already are in the book.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Jul 28, 2012 2:13 pm

wild rose wrote:haha, believe it or not, I see Lucy and Tirian being developed cause I support them, maybe it would be best if the movie is ever made, that there is no romance for Tirian at all, then we won't have anything to fight over :p (and that way, in a way, all fans will be happy, including the ones who dont want any romance at all) But of course, I suppose we will have to trust future directors judgment, if the movie is ever made. Though honestly, I'd even be fine with Jill and Tirian, if only they would make a good film of the Last Battle. :)

So you'd be fine having a film about the end of the world, involving people who have died and are in heaven, having a romantic involvement?
Oddly enough that doesn't appeal to many people.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Aslanisthebest » Jul 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Varna wrote:I, on the other hand, think that Lucy and Tirian is more ridiculous than Jill and Tirian. Tirian only meets Lucy in Aslan's Country - the Narnian equivalent of Heaven, and in Heaven there is no "taking or giving in marriage". So in my opinion there shouldn't be any pairings in Aslan's Country either.

coracle wrote:So you'd be fine having a film about the end of the world, involving people who have died and are in heaven, having a romantic involvement?
I completely agree with the opinions stated above. I can't imagine Aslan's Country having romantic involvement. Like some have stated, in TLB, isn't Jill about 15/16, while Tirian in his mid-to-late 20's? And Lucy and Tirian... Like many other things, if either of these were in the movie, I would not watch the movie. don't remember the exact paragraphs, but I always assumed that they were simply out of Tirian's chivalry and brotherliness to either Jill or Lucy.
RL Sibling: CSLewisNarnia
Aslanisthebest
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Aslanisthebest wrote:Like some have stated, in TLB, isn't Jill about 15/16, while Tirian in his mid-to-late 20's?

It's stated in LB that Eustace and Jill are the only ones still in school. That would make Jill 16, I believe, and Lucy 17 (as she is one year older--also, these ages are listed in the semi-canon timeline). Tirian is anywhere from 20-25. So, best case scenario is 17/20, which is... conceivable. However, that best case is also the most improbable case. Worst case, we have an age range of 9 years, which while isn't unheard of, is not exactly condoned for that particular age group.
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wild rose » Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am

coracle wrote:So you'd be fine having a film about the end of the world, involving people who have died and are in heaven, having a romantic involvement?

I am well aware of that :) which is why I have said that perhaps romance is better something left to the imagination of the fans and not something appearing on big screen. And I don't think it so odd, a romantic addtion probably would end up spoiling the film, which would end up ruining it for a good many fans. I suppose I have contradicted myself when I said that I wouldn't mind Jill/Tirian all that much as long as LB was made into a good movie, cause techinically in order to make a good movie, you have to stick to the book, which means no romance. So sorry about that, I do have a talent for condradicting myself, it comes from typing a post and only then thinking about what I have written :) (it also comes from writing posts closer to 2 am in the morning :) )
I suppose romantic me is always looking for romance, even where it is unneeded :)
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

PreviousNext