This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fantasy Casting Thread

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Fantasy Casting Thread

Postby MountainFireflower » Apr 03, 2012 3:48 pm

Welcome to CCD's official Fantasy Casting Thread! This thread is similar to the other casting threads we have here, except for one difference: it's focused on the three Narnia films that have already been made.

While I think many NarniaWebbers like the existing Narnia casting choices, this is where you can discuss what you might have done differently. Whether it's finding four actors that could have done well portraying the Pevensies, or finding a potential Caspian, this is the place to discuss what might have been. (And who knows, this thread might come in handy if the films are rebooted in the future.)

General forum rules apply, especially the respect rule. If you had a problem with the way a certain actor portrayed a character, please remember to be respectful in your statements.

If you'd like to discuss casting for future Narnia movies, please check out this thread instead.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fantasy Casting Thread

Postby fantasia » Apr 04, 2012 9:00 am

Woohoo! I've been wanting this thread for a while. ;))

Skandar Keynes as Edmund has always been one of my favorite castings in the Walden series. But ironically, the way Skandar looks always been how I envisioned Peter when I read the books. ;)) Pauline Baynes artwork influenced that I think.

Ever since I saw Lily Collins in The Blind Side, she's been my personal vision of Susan. First of all, she's drop dead gorgeous, and second, she looks pretty much exactly like the way Susan is described in the book.

Georgie pretty much redefined how I picture Lucy. I mean she was perfect. ;)) But I remember back prior to her being cast, I wanted either Dakota or Elle Fanning to play Lucy.
ImageImage

So there are three people that kind of embody the way I pictured those characters in the book. I'll be back if I think of more. ;)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby King_Erlian » Apr 05, 2012 3:34 am

If they'd made the Telmarines in "Prince Caspian" "English" rather than "Spanish", then I'd have picked Brian Blessed to be Miraz, Stephen Fry as Glozelle (the Glozelle from the book, not the general the film turned him into) and Rowan Atkinson as Sopespian.

And if they ever did make "The Magician's Nephew", I'd volunteer myself as Uncle Andrew!
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Apr 05, 2012 6:12 am

King_Erlian wrote:If they'd made the Telmarines in "Prince Caspian" "English" rather than "Spanish", ....

Yeah, I don't have any specific casting choices in mind, but I always envisioned the Telmarines to be Norse Vikings instead of Mediterranean pirates.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby fantasia » Apr 06, 2012 7:34 am

Absolutely Leah. :) Go right ahead.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby MountainFireflower » Apr 06, 2012 2:27 pm

FK, I love all your suggestions, and I'm going to pretty much ditto everything you said. ;)) You're right, Lily Collins would make a GREAT Susan. I loved her performance in The Blind Side.

Like you, Georgie redefined how I picture Lucy, and I wouldn't want anyone else to portray Lucy. However, the Fanning girls are close to what I pictured in the book, and they would have done an amazing job. A quick Google Image search shows that they've grown up quite a bit, otherwise I would definitely pull for one of them to play Lucy if there does happen to be a reboot in the future.

That's funny that you picture Skandar as Peter! William Moseley was not what I was expecting (I always pictured Peter with dark hair), but it's been so long since LWW that he's pretty much ingrained in my head as Peter now.

Leah Betts, good suggestion! We have many Doctor Who fans on this site, so your suggestion of Patrick Troughton isn't far-fetched at all. :) Who would you want him to play, though?
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 07, 2012 1:03 am

Leah Betts wrote:Troughton would be good as Professor Kirke or as the voice of Aslan.

I love the idea of him as Digory Kirke! :) I think he would have played the part quite well.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby fantasia » Apr 09, 2012 7:06 am

Leah Betts wrote:Troughton would be good ... as the voice of Aslan.

Oooh, you just reminded me that I do have an idea for Aslan.
I was listening the most recent Star Trek movie in the background, and I suddenly heard a line spoken by Spock's father that made me think "that's Aslan!!!" It's where Ben Cross says "what is necessary is never unwise." It's deep, it's rumbly, it's calming, and yet there's a hardness to it that you wouldn't want to mess with. So Ben Cross is my choice for voicing Aslan someday. And about the only fantasy casting choice that has the possibility of happening. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby MountainFireflower » Jul 25, 2012 11:47 am

Leah Betts, John Pertwee would make a fantastic Uncle Andrew, I agree. He definitely fits what I pictured while reading the book.

However, as a reminder to everyone, this thread's focus is for recasting the existing Narnia films. If you'd like to talk about future casting options, please see this thread.

After seeing We Bought a Zoo recently, I'd have to agree with FK and say that Elle Fanning is my ideal choice for an alternate Lucy. She would also have aged well, and really grown with the part, I think. She really had the fun, adventurous part down very well in We Bought a Zoo, something that's really important to me when I think of Lucy. Unfortunately, if they were to reboot the films, she'd be too old to start from the very beginning, I think, which is sad. But she'd still be my ideal choice.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 01, 2013 9:24 pm

What would you have thought of Asa Butterfield as Edmund? :)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Asa may have been a bit young to play Edmund when the 2005 film came out, but I definitely trust his acting skills.

An alternate choice for Lucy I wanted a few years ago was Bailee Madison, since she is an amazing young actress. She may have been a little young, but even when she was younger, she did an excellent job in many different acting roles.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby parableproductions » Jul 22, 2013 5:05 pm

[quote="King_Erlian"] Rowan Atkinson as Sopespian.
quote]

I love Rowan Atkinson!

As far as, my fantasy casting goes - James Earl Jones as the voice if Aslan - well, maybe not because I would probably be thinking of Darth Vader through the whole movie, but someone with that powerful and deep of a voice. (Liam Neeson voice just wasn't earthy enough - I've seen him in a lot of films and he's a favorite, but I thought he was a wrong choice for Aslan.)
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 01, 2013 3:43 pm

I was really pushing for Asa Butterfield as Eustace, myself. Will Poulter did very well, but I'd always imagined Eustace and Edmund bearing a physical resemblance, and I saw that more in Asa/Skandar than Will/Skandar.

I was always a little 'off' on having Tilda Swinton as the White Witch. I'd always preferred someone who looked more like the book description, like Eva Green or something.

I've never had complaints about the Pevensies, personally.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru