This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Should Jill or shouldn't Jill?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should Jill or shouldn't Jill?

Jill should have an English accent
75%
Jill should not have an English accent
5%
Either way is fine with me
20%

Total votes : 44

Re: Should Jill or shouldn't Jill?

Postby Eustace » Jan 14, 2011 8:52 am

I think in general it would make more since for her to have an English accent. So, I voted for an English accent. It would confuse less people and no back story will need to be added to have no English accent make sense.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Shastafan » Jan 14, 2011 9:34 am

I voted English accent or at least an accent that fits for were Jill lives. Whether or not kids have different accents, they're still bullied. And why would everyone else (like Eustace) not be bullied because their accent was normal (just an example)? As Susan wrote in VDT, they were having trouble getting back to England because of the Germans. Sure, Jill might've come before then, but as someone else pointed out, people there were trying to leave, not come and move there while the war was on. [-(

My reasons aren't the best, but Jill is pure English to me, and I can't have her talking in any other way. ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Turkish Delight » Jan 14, 2011 5:14 pm

I voted not English. I think it would make the movie a bit difrent from the movie. But it would also allow american girls to be in it. You guys are right though it would not make to much scense cause she is English in the book. But whatever.
Turkish Delight
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Jan 14, 2011 5:24 pm

The sort of people who are sending their children to Experiment House are middle class English people who are slightly different in their life style and beliefs but their accents would be nice respectable RP sort of voices.
The thought of her travelling many miles from Scotland to go to this boarding school is bearable, but the VDT film tab end has now established that she is near enough for the family to visit the Scrubbs' house in Cambridge.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Jan 15, 2011 10:42 am

So she might be Scottish or English but not American?

BTW, don't get me wrong in the American thing, if I was cast it'd be more fun for me to use my English accent. ;)

Lu :)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Jill » Jan 16, 2011 1:30 am

I am expecting her to be English but any British accent but be fine by me. If an American could do a British accent that would be fine I have nothing against Americans but I have always imagined her with a British accent and an American accent would probably force a subplot into the story which would take away from the screen time for the more interesting parts of the plot like the giants and more "under me" time.
Comfort child we are between the paws of the true Aslan.- King Tirian

If this is the real world the the play world a great deal better- Puddleglum
Jill
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Standing at the door to Aslans country from Experiment House

Postby lostin1800 » Jan 16, 2011 11:07 am

English all the way. There is no implication given to say she wasn't, and if it were to be part of the reason why she got bullied to badly it would have been referenced. Bullies seldom need a reason to bully and just do it to do it. Plus with the way she speaks it seems clear her accent is RP, and considering she obviously was good with horses ( implies horse riding classes) she's hardly going to be a cockney, of course not rich enough for the Queen's English either.

But if she has to have another accent it better be from England or at least Britain.
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant » Jan 16, 2011 12:52 pm

She should have an english accents. She is English after all...
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Rilians Queen » Jan 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Jill lives in England therefore she should have an english accent. Bullies bully for all kinds of reasons. They find the small things people obsess over and then they tease. It is what it is.
A Proud Supporter For A Jilrian Romance Between Tirian/Jill!
My Website: http://thedarknightsqueen.blogspot.com/
Audition For My Narnia Episodes!!
Rilians Queen
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby JillPoleFan565 » Jan 16, 2011 8:04 pm

english i would not like her to have an american one it would almost be laughable (if it was a texas, Tennessee or montana accent) the only one i wouldn't mind is the north dakota one because it is closer to the english (then the rest) and to me it would be very very silly for her to have a texas one nothing against those accents is it would just be too out of place
watch me on youtube doing narnia monologues
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnnabananagirl
JillPoleFan565
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 17, 2011 6:02 am

Unless someone happens to volunteer some long-lost letter from C. S. Lewis describing Jill as American or French or an Aussie, etc. I vote for English. And for the love of Aslan, please no teenage American girl faking an English accent. Even talented American actors struggle with maintaining a believable false accent, a teenager certainly won't be able to.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby LessThanGold » Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm

I think the only reason there is any debating about this going on at all is because so many American girls want to play Jill. There's hardly any other firm excuse for her being played by an American actress, which I am sorry to say to those who hope or think otherwise. And look, I'm a teenage, American girl, and I would love to be Jill Pole (that is, if I were a decent actress) but I am not willing to change such an important character. She is definitely English, for reasons others have already stated. That is that.
LessThanGold
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Bookwyrm » Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Oh, you should see the comments section on the Auditioning for Jill Pole story. The sheer amount of whinging and cries of "It isn't fair!" are downright nauseating. I have a bad feeling that we're going to have some sort of ridiculous fan backlash at whomever is cast in the part, similar to the hatred for Ramandu's Daughter espoused by the Susaspian shippers.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby JillPoleFan565 » Jan 19, 2011 3:48 pm

just as long as she has an english accent does not have hazel eyes and can act well anyone is fine with me
watch me on youtube doing narnia monologues
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnnabananagirl
JillPoleFan565
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm

There's no reason for her not to have an accent. Lewis was English and wrote The Chronicles of Narnia to sound English. It wouldn't really make sense for Jill to say the dialogue, slang, and expressions in anything but an English accent.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby CharlotteRose » Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

English is probably the one accesnt that will make most sense, but what about Irish? I can see that too. Maybe that is a teasing point bacause Irish is quite an obvious accent, and my Grandad (who is Irish) got teased for his accent because he said tree istead of three*, etc... It would be good to have an accent that suggest the UK though because as many people have said, not many people would want to be moving to Wartime england!

*...and also, teasing for an accent would be a good morral because it would teach that it shouldn't matter where you are from or anthing like that, and we see jill become more confidant throughout SC because she is excepted :)
Narnia is childhood...

Seriously, just give the kid the orange. He needs his vitamin C!
CharlotteRose
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext