This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What does Jill look like to you?

Brunette (brown or black, any shade)
21%
Redhead (red, orange, ginger- any shade
4%
Blond Hair (from white to golden, to "dirty"-any shade)
10%
Hair with Body (straight, curly, crimped a mix- any body)
19%
Straight Hair (self explanatory)
11%
Blue Eyes
6%
Green Eyes
8%
Brown Eyes
7%
Hazel Eyes
13%
Black or Gray Eyes
1%

Total votes : 230

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 04, 2009 8:17 am

Hey guys, just trying to recreate our discussion from the old forum about Jill Pole!

Okay, so if I remember correctly, we were talking about her height, hair color, and eye color. (please correct me if I am mistaken).

So, I think her hair should be straight, maybe a little wavy, and brown or dirty dirty blond. And I think she should be a little shorter than Will P, but since no one knows how tall he is yet, it will be hard to judge Jill's height.....
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Jill Pole

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 04, 2009 11:49 am

Will's a little taller than Georgie(who I think we established is 5'3'') So Jill needs to be 5'3'',4'', or 5'' being the max in my opinion.
I like straight hair for Jill but wavy would be ok too.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lostin1800 » Sep 04, 2009 1:43 pm

New forum!!! And now back on topic.....
On the old forum people where hateing the idea of a curly Jill. Now I prefer wavy too but why the strong dislike of Jill with curls? Besides, the book mentions them, and clothes and body language shows more about a characters personality then the hair, espiecally in the fourties when everyone's styles where very similer to eachother, victory rolls, finger waves or bobbed hair mainly.....

Or am I missing something :-\ ? And I really would like her to have a normal, London accent.
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ellz_bellz » Sep 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Ok, Jill is a very complex character. But I am going to stary away from what she LOOKS like, more what she ACTS like.

I always thought Jill to be a compassionate, funny girl, but has a rotten temper, and is very feisty. Jill isn't afraid to cry, and does what she wants, when she wants. She is also VERY brave, but isn't aware of it, and develops a strongs sense of right or wrong. So overall, I think that Jill needs to have SPUNK.

What do you think?
Proud that VDT is Australian :)
siggy by lover of narnia, avie by jillhope
ellz_bellz
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 05, 2009 6:54 am

Just a couple things to add, ellz_bellz. She is STUBBORN! She is also polite, and a bit proud and selfish. But all in all, she is a determined, caring, fun, and yes I agree, spunky person ;)
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lostin1800 » Sep 05, 2009 8:31 am

Yep, very stubborn :) She isn't girly and she is a very strong character but I hope they won't turn her into a tomboy and just let her be feminine like in the book and leave the tomboy to Aravis.

How do you think they'll make her mature from SC to LB? Actually, how old would she be in LB, will she be a Lady? Because I think that they'll all be grown ups-will they bump up her(and the other's) ages or get new actors? I hope they don't but she's meant to be 16 right?
*We three kings of Orient are; bearing gifts we traverse afar, field and fountain, moor and mountain, following yonder star...*
~Merry Christmas From Lostin1800~
lostin1800
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 05, 2009 8:48 am

well in the book LB, Jill is 16, but I assume she will be MUCH MUCH older by the time the movie rolls around.
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Sep 05, 2009 11:12 am

lostin1800 said
Yep, very stubborn She isn't girly and she is a very strong character but I hope they won't turn her into a tomboy and just let her be feminine like in the book and leave the tomboy to Aravis.

I agree with you entirely! Jill's only supposed to be twelve or thirteen in SC, I think, and while she's not a sissy girl, she can be insecure. However, she likes to cover that up by being snappish.
(I'm thinking of when Puddleglum asks her, as they are crossing the Ruinous City to get to Harfang, what the next sign is. The narrator says that
She still really knew them, if she troubled to think: but she was no longer so "pat" in her lesson as to be sure of reeling them off in the right order without thinking. Puddleglum's question annoyed her because, deep down inside her, she was already annoyed with herself for not knowing the Lion's lesson quite so well as she felt she ought to have known it.

Let Jill just be a young girl, with all her endearing faults and virtues, and I'll love the movie as much as I love the book.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JillPoleWannabe123 » Sep 05, 2009 11:32 am

I think that Jill Pole should have a normal accent too. In the Silver Chair, she is teased a lot at her school. That's why she is crying behind the gym in the beginning in the book. What should Jill be teased about? I mean, her looks? What? By the way, I don't understand what is wrong with curls. I think Jill would look great with curls. Not super duper curly, just loose curls, or a slight wave.
I Like: Your mischevious smile, your rather weird hair, your perverse mind, our occasional annoying conversations, the funny random noises you make, the burning touch of your fingetips on my skin, how you know most of the things on my mind...
JillPoleWannabe123
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: With Eustace, entering into the beautiful land of Narnia (United States)

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 05, 2009 11:41 am

no, i just dont think curls match her personality. For some reason, i think curls add some sort of innocence and childlike fashion to a person that I don't think Jill should have......
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 05, 2009 12:30 pm

JillPoleWannabe123 wrote:I think that Jill Pole should have a normal accent too. In the Silver Chair, she is teased a lot at her school. That's why she is crying behind the gym in the beginning in the book. What should Jill be teased about? I mean, her looks? What?

Bully's really don't have to have a very good reason to tease someone. It could be that she either did really poorly(or really well) on a test or had an akward moment or was nice to the dunce...it could be any number of things. I didn't like the BBC version of them teasing her because of her name and height(Jill POLE, for being tall)
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 05, 2009 12:49 pm

yeah, A_Narnian_Ship is right, bullies just bully to the fun of it, they don't need a special reason.
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 05, 2009 5:59 pm

Bullies can bully someone for ANYTHING, even being shy or quite or outspoken. NothinButNarnia said it best. They bully for fun.
dirtydirty blond hair is good for me. Curls don't match her personality. I'd like Jill's hair too be slightly (just a little) wavy. And hazel/brown eyes. When I first read of Jill, I thought of myself since I saw a lot of myself in her. I think she's a little shy, but just a very very little. She has a strong sence of pride which causes her to be stubborn at times and at her best is a passonate, nice, and fun loving girl. But she can very easily get moody or discouraged. She is snappy to cover up her shyness.
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 06, 2009 9:18 am

yeah, maybe slightly wavy, but nothing more than Susan's in the farewell scene in PC
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wind_Eagle » Sep 06, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah. In fact, I think Susan's hair in PC's farewell is a bit too much, and you can kind of tell it's not natural, because it's so uniformly organized. I do have to point out that C.S. Lewis mentioned Jill DID have curls, at least I think he did, when they still don't know they are to be eaten by the 'friendly giants', and they act kind of foolishly, Lewis mentions that Jill moves her hair this way and that, shaking her curls, in a very stupid and childish way (and then the giantesses all start crying and saying that it's a shame....). I can't be completely sure, since I don't have my copy anywhere near, but could someone please check for me? thanx. I also think her hair shouldn't go past her shoulders in SC, but maybe her hair should be already by her midback in LB.
(Will) "I am Prince Caspian..." (Ben) "No you aren't, get off."
Wind_Eagle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JillPoleWannabe123 » Sep 07, 2009 9:00 pm

I think that Jill could have curly hair, but I realize that some of you are opposed to that. Plus, it's possible you could straighten the hair enough so that it would be less curly. I think the personality and the ability of the actress matters most.
I Like: Your mischevious smile, your rather weird hair, your perverse mind, our occasional annoying conversations, the funny random noises you make, the burning touch of your fingetips on my skin, how you know most of the things on my mind...
JillPoleWannabe123
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: With Eustace, entering into the beautiful land of Narnia (United States)

Next