This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What does Jill look like to you?

Brunette (brown or black, any shade)
21%
Redhead (red, orange, ginger- any shade
4%
Blond Hair (from white to golden, to "dirty"-any shade)
10%
Hair with Body (straight, curly, crimped a mix- any body)
19%
Straight Hair (self explanatory)
11%
Blue Eyes
6%
Green Eyes
8%
Brown Eyes
7%
Hazel Eyes
13%
Black or Gray Eyes
1%

Total votes : 230

Re: Jill Pole

Postby [wrath] » Jan 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Hair: Any length, wavy, any colour but black, maybe bangs. Kinda messy.
Eyes: Any colour but blue, preferably hazel.
Skin: Pale with freckles, but not too many. Maybe a slight tan. :-\
Height: Not too tall... about the same height or a little shorter then Eustace.
Body Shape: Average. Not skinny or chubby.

Well, that's just my opinion, and how I imagined her. ;)
Day of Wrath, that day of burning,
Seer and Sibyl speak concerning,
All the world to ashes turning.
[wrath]
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 14, 2010 6:15 pm

Miss Jill Pole should be played by an unknown

16yrs-to I-dont-care, just as long as she can pull it off.

Hair color should definitely be a medium/light brown, sort of wavy, not short maybe two to five inches past shoulder. Eyes should be hazel, doesn't matter if she has a big or small nose (seriously what is up with that today??) :-s

Height should be exactly like Will Poulter's, not shorter, maybe one inch taller, but should be same height. :)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jan 17, 2010 1:19 pm

Tall? Jill can't be tall! In LB,
"By the Mane!" [Tirian] whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wonderous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better."
"She's so small, that's what helps," whispered Eustace.
~ LB, Chapter 6

She's supposed to be short, shorter than Eustace. And she can't look too old, either. No older than, say, 14. She's still in school after Lucy has graduated.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lilyannexo » Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Even though the book says she's small, I think it would be fine for the movie to make her a little taller. Not any more than an inch or two taller than Will Poulter though.
lilyannexo
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby [wrath] » Jan 17, 2010 7:01 pm

I say she should be 14-16 years old when they start filming, and around the same height as Eustace - not too tall, but a little shorter maybe!

@ DamselJillPole - I agree that her nose should be any size too!
[wrath]
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Jan 22, 2010 6:54 am

I agree that her height should be about Eustace's. I don't really care if she is a bit taller or shorter. brownish-blonde hair would be perfect and I love the hazel eyes! Even though she is supposed to be 13-15 I don't mind an older actress playing her as long as they can pull it off!!! Ben Barnes pulled a 17 yr old caspian off at 26, and in my opinion, did an excellent job of it.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jan 22, 2010 12:55 pm

I agree that she needs to look no older than Will does now. The start of SC has Eustace back at school only a few months after VDT, and so we'll have to hope he doesn't suddenly look a lot older! By Last Battle these two are meant to be still at school while the others have already finished - since Lucy 'now' is clearly younger than the age Eustace is being played at (14) this would be explained another way when they get to it - perhaps Jill and Eustace are both studying to go to university, so are still at school, while Lucy has gone on to train for a job (nursing?)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Dernhelm_of_Rohan » Jan 25, 2010 10:25 am

Or, coracle, perhaps Eustace looking older would be okay, since he is supposed to be different. But I don't mean years older; I mean more mature.

Back to Jill. @ A Narnian Ship: you may be right about someone older pulling off Jill being younger, but I meant she can't look or act any older than fourteen in SC, and maybe sixteen or seventeen in LB (it was more than a year in the books). If the actress is older, I'm fine with that, since they seem to do a good job of picking actors and actresses to match the parts. I'm not terribly worried. ( :(( !) jk, I'm fine.

Founding Keeper of the Secret Magic
Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Blue » Jan 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Well, anyway, do any of you feel like going into detail? ;)
What on her features? For example, would she have a pug nose? and such.
Life! Come back!
Blue
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby [wrath] » Jan 26, 2010 6:25 pm

With details... hmmm...

Face: small freckles that aren't too noticeable, but still there. Walnut shaped hazel eyes - very expressive (maybe even brown & blue instead of hazel). Average size nose, doesn't matter if its big or small! Full lips - not too big but not thin. ;)
Hair: Average length (just below shoulders). medium brown hair, maybe with blonde/light brown highlights. And bangs or a side fringe.
Skin: Slightly tanned skin, to show that she gets out in the sun even more then many other British kids/teens.
Posture: At the start of SC her posture can be slumped and lazy, then right near the end of SC and through LB her posture can be elegant, graceful, and confident! :p

If I can think of anything else, I'll add to it! :D
[wrath]
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Jan 28, 2010 8:47 am

Dernhelm_of_Rohan wrote:Tall? Jill can't be tall! In LB,
"By the Mane!" [Tirian] whispered to Eustace. "This girl is a wonderous wood-maid. If she had Dryad's blood in her she could scarce do it better."
"She's so small, that's what helps," whispered Eustace.
~ LB, Chapter 6

Yes but that "She's so small, that's what helps,"

Guys love to tease girls that are skinny, it could have been that she is so skinny that it makes her look limber as she's passing by without a sound. Because when you think of Tirian you think, oh this guy is strong and in his mid twenties so yeah he'll make sound and Eustace is an older teenager who Lewis does describe quite chubby.

Scrubb was probably indeed calling Jill skinny but said small.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Feb 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Here is the definition of small....
1. of limited size; of comparatively restricted dimensions; not big
2. slender, thin, or narrow
3. in low tones; softly
4. (of sound or the voice) gentle; with little volume

Here are some synonyms of the word small that might fit with what we're talking about:
tiny, little, slight,
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wind_Eagle » Feb 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Well, according to the book, if we take it literally, Jill would have to be small, but I wouldn't care too much about that. I believe Jill should NOT be taller than Eustace, and I think she should be skinny (not the ABSOLUTELY skinny no flesh type, but not chubby either). A while ago some of you mentioned how curls would make Jill look absolutely childish and waay too cute for her character. I absolutely disagree; and I'm not saying that she SHOULD have curls, I'm just saying it's a possibility. I disagree because I know a LOT of girls with curly hair (myself included), and the majority of them do NOT look cute. There's a wide variety from absolute tomboyish, to the cute type that is said to not go with Jill, to the passionate, to the unknown, so I do not agree with anyone saying that curls will make Jill look cute. If she looks 100% natural, there will be no reason for her to look way too much of something. #:-s

About the nose, (yes this is getting way too precise) I'll take anything so long as it doesn't make her look too much like the Pevensies.

I agree with the tan, since the book clearly states that Jill is a very good horse-rider, takes horse riding lessons, and, on consequence, should have some kind of tan. Plus, the idea of her going out in the sun a lot more than the other kids is really nice, kind of shows her different ways of being.

I wouldn't worry too much about the age, since they will have to match her according to Will's age, and he'll be around 16 pr 17 when SC starts filming. Also, you have to take into account that if they're making her small or tall, she'll have to be over with her developing time, so that she does not change to much throughout the course of filming the movie, or between SC and LB (although, if they make all the movies, there will probably be about a 4-5 year interval between both movies, and who does not change in 5 years, I wonder?). But I don't mind so long as the age difference between Jill and Eustace is not too noticeable, if there HAS to be any, since it just would NOT look good if Will is 17 and Jill 10, or if Jill is 30-something, and Jill 17. That would definitely NOT look well.

Now that we're talking ages, I thought I might mention my opinion about her body. I don't think her body being completely developed would look good, in fact, I don't think that would look good at all. You know, she doesn't have to be completely undeveloped, but a voluptuous girl just wouldn't do.

For her eyes, Hazel is absolutely fine, maybe green or really light-browned eyes.

I don't mind her hair being curly (as I already mentioned), and dirty-blonde or really light-brown would be fine. Any length, as long as its not too short, is fine by me.

I like the freckles idea, but not too noticeable.

And well, I know that as long as she can act, nothing of this really matters, but still, if they chose a Jill absolutely different from the book, I have to admit I'd be a bit annoyed (I mean, look at what they did to Annabeth Chase in Percy Jackson! I was furious!) but well, I would rather much that she acts well and doesn't look like our Jill than act horribly and look like the perfect Jill for us.

EDIT* Just realized how much space this took, sorry!! I hope it helps, anyways. (I guess being offline for so long got the best out of me :| )
(Will) "I am Prince Caspian..." (Ben) "No you aren't, get off."
Wind_Eagle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby NothinButNarnia » Feb 05, 2010 7:33 am

Yeah, Jill can't be tall, Lewis specifically says that she is small, so I don't think she should be any taller than Will, but she should look about the same age, and Will's like 16 or 17 (I think), but he looks a little younger.....
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wind_Eagle » Feb 06, 2010 7:26 am

I agree, I never imagined Jill as tall TALL, you know, not even average tall, just skinny small.
(Will) "I am Prince Caspian..." (Ben) "No you aren't, get off."
Wind_Eagle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DeW » Feb 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Jill is definitely meant to be smaller than Eustace. I can't remember the exact quote, but when they're crawling around in the underworld, and Jill doesn't want to go down the tunnels, CSLewis says she's the smallest.

I'd like her enough younger to not have any risk of "romance" between them even hinted at! I'd see her as being about 10-12.
DeW
NarniaWeb Newbie

PreviousNext