This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Jill Pole: Appearance, Personality, and Portrayal

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

What does Jill look like to you?

Brunette (brown or black, any shade)
21%
Redhead (red, orange, ginger- any shade
4%
Blond Hair (from white to golden, to "dirty"-any shade)
10%
Hair with Body (straight, curly, crimped a mix- any body)
19%
Straight Hair (self explanatory)
11%
Blue Eyes
6%
Green Eyes
8%
Brown Eyes
7%
Hazel Eyes
13%
Black or Gray Eyes
1%

Total votes : 230

Re: Jill Pole

Postby coracle » Apr 07, 2010 3:39 pm

DamselJillPole wrote: Because when you think of Tirian you think, oh this guy is strong and in his mid twenties so yeah he'll make sound and Eustace is an older teenager who Lewis does describe quite chubby...
Scrubb was probably indeed calling Jill skinny but said small.

Sorry to disagree with you but most people who think Eustace chubby and Jill tall and skinny have seen the BBC tv serials and are influenced by the casting for SC there.
Lewis specifically describes Eustace as puny - in England that means thin, weedy, not well built. VDT and SC take place in the middle of WW2 in England, all food is rationed, and the alternative-thinker Scrubb parents would not be giving him fattening food (even if they could get it).
Jill is described in LB as "small", which is an allover description, probably means she's not tall and not well built. According to the Lewis/Hooper timeline, it's 1949, 4 years after the war. There are still food shortages in England (sugar was rationed until the early 1950s!!) and so Eustace and Jill at 16 or so are not big at all although Eustace has probably grown taller.

@SamuraiSally, check out the resources on Narniaweb regarding ages.
1. Book ages http://www.narniaweb.com/resources-links/character-ages/
2. Timeline http://www.narniaweb.com/resources-links/narnia-timelines/

The movie ages : in LWW - Lucy 8-9, Ed 12, Susan nearly 14, Peter 15.
In PC Peter says it's one year on, but it is the start of autumn (school year beginning) which makes it 14-15 months later (LWW was summer, probably start of holidays). Edmund just had a birthday so he can be 14, and the others seem to be growing up fast too. Lucy is maybe 10.
In VDT another year has gone, Ed and Lu are 11/12 and 15, while Eustace is being played as 14.
SO by SC Eustace is 14 1/2 or 15. And Jill will be similar, or maybe 13/14.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Thank you for correcting me on that Coracle. I think I was mixed up that day between book and BBC series.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SamuraiSally » Apr 08, 2010 9:26 am

aheh. ...Well. I've officially put my foot in my mouth good and firmly. Thank you for the correction, Coracle... sorry!
Wait a second... if there's no "I" in "team", then how am I on the team, and if so, why are you lecturing me?
SamuraiSally
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby coracle » Apr 08, 2010 2:36 pm

No problem, I hated to come in all clever and correct but it seemed a good time to clarify it. EDIT: I'm not saying your ideas aren't worthwhile, just to let you know we have some info, some of which comes from the author. On the other hand, lots of people can't imagine kids of 9 or 10 speaking and acting as the kids do in VDT and SC.
I am so looking forward to VDT and SC!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby JillPoleWannabe123 » Apr 08, 2010 8:00 pm

Lu_valient, I am 13 years old, turning 14 in August of 2010. :D

SamuraiSally, I am very happy you have joined us on NarniaWeb as we argue about ages and hair colors of a person in a book. I also agree with your little age chart thingy. It was most informative. :)

I actually don't think there are any actresses that would be absolutely perfect for Jill right now. It would have to be someone new that no one has heard of before... But any suggestions? I could be wrong!!!

As for looks, I'm still sticking with my brown colored hair. I don't know why, but blonde just doesn't seem "Jilly" to me. Wow. That sounded conceited. Who am I to judge the beautiful blondes out there??? 8-}

Mhm... I like the idea of Jill getting tan when she is in Narnia. It makes sense if you think about it. If she's traveling on foot, she would be outside most of the time. And it would also show that Jill had changed when she left England and then came back later.

I think I talked a lot this time... I enjoyed blabbing though!! Well... I think that's it! :ymhug:
I Like: Your mischevious smile, your rather weird hair, your perverse mind, our occasional annoying conversations, the funny random noises you make, the burning touch of your fingetips on my skin, how you know most of the things on my mind...
JillPoleWannabe123
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: With Eustace, entering into the beautiful land of Narnia (United States)

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 08, 2010 8:36 pm

Look at the bottom of page 10. i posted up an actress who I think would be fit for Jill Pole in my opinion.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SamuraiSally » Apr 13, 2010 8:23 am

Wow, a lot of people seem to like the idea of a "tanning" Jill.

So, here I am to (ahem, TRY) to make amends with both the in-favor-of brunettes, and the in-favor-of blondes.

She starts off as a medium brown color, but as she journeys to narnia, her hair slowly turns a more "blonde" color, just as her skin color changes.

Everyone happy? Anyone happy? ...didn't think so. It was just an idea, after all. ;)
Wait a second... if there's no "I" in "team", then how am I on the team, and if so, why are you lecturing me?
SamuraiSally
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Apr 13, 2010 9:16 am

It would make sense for Jill to start out pale, since I understand England is pretty rainy and all :P I don't think she should have an obvious "tan" when her adventure in Narnia is over, but she would certainly have more color in her cheeks, if that makes any sense. :)
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm

JillPoleWannabe123 wrote:
As for looks, I'm still sticking with my brown colored hair. I don't know why, but blonde just doesn't seem "Jilly" to me. Wow. That sounded conceited. Who am I to judge the beautiful blondes out there??? 8-}

I actually agree. I never pictured Jill as a blonde. I always pictured her with light to any brown color.
The only blonde I ever pictured was Polly Plummer.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby NolanFilm » Apr 14, 2010 5:48 pm

On the casting side, how about Saoirse Ronan (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1519680/) as Jill? She definitely looks the part and she can totally act! She may look a little old, but she's one year younger than Will Poulter.
NolanFilm
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Apr 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Nolan, Saoirse would be my dream casting for Jill---the only problem is her age. Will looks young for his age, and Saoirse would probably seem too much older then him. It might even out by TLB but still...
The other problem is she's not very unknown. She has been in Atonement, City of Ember, and most recently The Lovely Bones. I know she can act, I would LOVELOVELOVE her to be Jill as I think that's exactly how Jill should look...it's just those two little problems :(
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby NolanFilm » Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Valiant_Lucy, I totally understand. They could probably make her seem quite a bit younger in the film, it would just be a challenge. But yeah, I think her popularity would be the biggest problem. I knew she was in the Lovely Bones, but I didn't realize she had big roles in those 2 other films. :-o Whoops! Unknowns for the win! :)
NolanFilm
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 15, 2010 7:32 pm

I think Dakota Blue Richards would be the perfect Jill Pole, and looks a little like the illustrations. Shes been in a few big productions but is still a little unknown to some people. I posted a picture of her at the end of page 10 if you want to see what she looks like.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Berra friend of Narnia » Apr 16, 2010 10:38 am

This is my idea of Jill:
-long blond/brown hair, slightly wavy; blue eyes, which pass into the green color; bit of a tan; petty relatively tall figure

Actress wich be play Jill should be similar even in character. If the filming will start in 2012, so Will will be 18. So she should be around the age of 16-18.
Berra friend of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 16, 2010 11:06 am

In 2012 Will Poulter will be 19 actually, Berra friend of Narnia.

BTW welcome to Narniaweb too!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby luv-a-labradoodle » Apr 16, 2010 11:58 am

I think Jill should have red wavy hair. Not red red, maybe a little blond and brown in it. I think its called strawberry blond. Does anyone agree?
luv-a-labradoodle
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext