This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian - Ben Barnes

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Caspian - Ben Barnes

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 29, 2010 12:13 am

I can't wait to see Ben's performance. It'll be such a different role to play. Before he played a sort of boy and only a prince. Now he'll be playing a man and a king -- a king who must lead his people into some very dark territory.

Can't wait to see how well he does! :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby amarlie24 » Nov 29, 2010 2:00 am

^^ I love how he did portray Caspian in the movie and also in this upcoming movie. Also I love his face. Maybe people made a good selection to play as Caspian in Prince Caspian..:D
amarlie24
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aslanscountry » Nov 29, 2010 9:17 pm

amarlie24 wrote:^^ I love how he did portray Caspian in the movie and also in this upcoming movie.
have you seen the screening then?
You'll come back when they call you
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 01, 2010 12:09 am

I envy those who have watched him already in VotDT. I know for sure he has changed a lot from the way he looks and speaks.

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 01, 2010 12:40 am

I always feel a bit sorry for Ben because he always gets either mixed or negative reviews in all his works (save for Birdsong). While I feel he hasn't quite reached the level of, say, Johnny Depp, I think he shows a lot of promise. I hope he shines in VoDT as King Caspian and silences the naysayers.
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Dec 01, 2010 6:45 am

From what I've seen in VDT he seems much stronger than he was in PC. :)
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Dec 04, 2010 11:47 am

aslanscountry wrote:I always feel a bit sorry for Ben because he always gets either mixed or negative reviews in all his works (save for Birdsong). While I feel he hasn't quite reached the level of, say, Johnny Depp, I think he shows a lot of promise. I hope he shines in VoDT as King Caspian and silences the naysayers.

I think there will always be naysayers no matter how talented a person is. You simply can't please everyone. (btw there are mixed reviews on Birdsong as well) From what I gather Ben just tries not to listen to all the talk and just do his best. I hear he doesn't google himself on the web or things like that because he knows people will either make him out to be better than he is or tear him down. I think that's a wise thing.

I think Ben's a great actor. (and I don't like Johnny Depp) Which actor you like is more a matter of preference rather than quality of acting I think. I think Ben is extremely talented and very versatile and I think his career could go very far.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 04, 2010 7:38 pm

You're right in that reviews are very subjective and people are always divided over a movie or certain actors' acting. However, there're also actors like Will Poulter who seems to get unanimous praises from all reviewers despite what they think of the movie. What I find very interesting is that people who don't like Ben's performance usually have the same complaint about him: that he's bland, or lacking charisma. Which confuses me because from what I've seen in Dorian Gray, he's far from bland (he does have trouble conveying deep/complex emotion with subtlety sometimes, but there are a lot of moments where I found him positively creepy). A VoDT review even goes as far as to say that he's back as "eye candy" :( . I wonder if it's his matinee idol looks that prevent those reviewers from appreciating his performance.

(I hope this doesn't come across as complaints or anything...I'm not too worried about the other cast as they don't seem to get the amount of criticisms Ben gets).
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby smartypants » Dec 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Ben Barnes as King Caspian is fantastic. As I have said with all the other characters he portrays him perfectly. I really liked the idea of him always worried about not living up to his father's expectations, but Aslan comes in and reassures him that he has been great. Ben Barnes is a great actor and I believe he truly shined in VDT. :ymapplause:
smartypants
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant » Dec 12, 2010 7:25 am

I think dropping the accent REALLY helped. Ben Barnes improved a lot as well. Although his acting wasn't amazing or anything, he did a very good job and I was very happy!

If SC does get made, I hope Ben Barnes and Will Poulter come back because they are both perfect for their respective roles. :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 14, 2010 1:45 am

About to see VDT tomorrow! Hope Ben does great in the film. He deserves it. I think they wouldn't have chosen him if he weren't great right? More power to Ben!

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Timo » Dec 15, 2010 5:47 am

Yea, he was way better in VDT than in PC. He was believable... :)
Timo
NarniaWeb Regular

Got questions for Ben Barnes

Postby is2010 » Dec 16, 2010 12:35 pm

Ben will be chatting with Uinterview.com soon, so submit your questions for the Narnia star at http://uinterview.com!
is2010
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby aslanscountry » Dec 16, 2010 6:23 pm

I've asked whether he has any other projects next year beside Killing Bono :D Maybe you guys can ask whether he's interested to play old Caspian in SC if it's being greenlit? ;)
No need to say goodbye
aslanscountry
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby outlier » Dec 16, 2010 7:04 pm

The other day I was on the msn page, and it had a link of Ben talking about his twilight audition and other past, present, and future stuff.... nothing is new narnia-wise, but maybe someone will enjoy it :)

http://www.examiner.com/celebrity-q-a-i ... eading-man
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Dec 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Ben absolutely did his best in the latest Narnia movie. Hope he achieves more. ;;)

sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext