This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should the Witch in SC be a different character from the White Witch?

Yes.
86%
No.
12%
Other, please state.
2%

Total votes : 84

Re: Poll: The Silver Chair - Emerald or White Witch?

Postby Josh » Oct 15, 2010 9:25 pm

And her reappearring again and again also makes her less frightening. For instance, we all got excited when we saw the WW appear in the PC trailer. It got us talking. It was a good scene, and it was kinda creepy.

But then when we see her AGAIN in the VotDT, we feel the filmakers are trying to reuse the same trick they pulled in PC and this time it doesnt work. In fact I think the WW returning is something that could only work in one movie. Having her reappear twice after dying makes her seem more of a nusiance then a threat.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Oct 16, 2010 12:10 am

^ agreed Josh she is so annoying and it would be so stupid to reuse her as LOGK. I don't mean to come off as mean here but like Rilian says: "I have seen there the most beautiful thing that was ever made." As if a 18 or 19 year old prince would go googly eyed over a middle aged woman like WW with dreadlocks and very plain.

Ew. The WW is most definitely not LOGK in this Narnian Universe.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Valiant » Oct 16, 2010 7:18 am

Yes, it wouldn't really make sense to have the WW. I always felt the lotGK was more girlsih and "seemingly' sweet. The WW is more cold and distant.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Brisa » Oct 16, 2010 11:27 am

Josh wrote:And her reappearring again and again also makes her less frightening. For instance, we all got excited when we saw the WW appear in the PC trailer. It got us talking. It was a good scene, and it was kinda creepy.

But then when we see her AGAIN in the VotDT, we feel the filmakers are trying to reuse the same trick they pulled in PC and this time it doesnt work. In fact I think the WW returning is something that could only work in one movie. Having her reappear twice after dying makes her seem more of a nusiance then a threat.

Exactly.
When I see the Witch in VotDT, I'm just like, *yawn* "her again?

She's probably just going to show up(in VotDT), say some creepy stuff and vanish again. If the evilness in the VotDT movie comes from the DI and not the WW, then why is she there at all?

So if they make the SC into a movie, I hope they cast someone else as the LotGK. Because whether the two witches are the same or not (and I don't think they are), I'm sick of the WW appearing everywhere, and if they cast Tilda Swinton as LotGK, everyone will assume they're the same.
Brisa
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 18, 2010 9:28 pm

I think the movieverse WW must be part cockroach. The only way you can explain her surviving having her head bitten off and a sword rammed through her torso.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Eustace » Oct 19, 2010 10:54 am

I definitely think that WW and the Lady of the Green Kirtle should be different people. I think it would confuse the audience plus, they are actually different people in the book.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Valiant » Oct 19, 2010 2:10 pm

I think it is just getting ridiculous putting her in every movie. She will be there in MN, she was there is LWW, PC and now, VDT. Thats 4 movies already. If they put her in SC, that is overkilling it. I mean, its already an overkill, but putting her in SC makes in even worse. I would not want LotGK played by Swinton if for no other reason than because she has appeared as a villian too many times in this series. I like Swinton as an actress, but it just doesn't work for the stories to have her play every villian.

Furthur more, wouldn't Eustace recognize her from VDT if she is portrayed as the LotGK? I just can't see how they would logically explain Eustace not realizing her as a villian if he already saw her...

I wouldn't mind them vaguley hinting that they might be related. MIGHT be related. I want it to be left ambiguous.

Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 19, 2010 2:16 pm

the WW appears to Edmund not Eustace, besides Eustace is a dragon in the DI.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Linden » Oct 21, 2010 11:30 am

I voted an emphatic yes. It was always clear to me that the Lady of the Green Kirtle is a different person from the White Witch. The WW died, and they have completely different personalities (they also look different, but that doesn't really matter, as I'm sure the WW could change her looks if she wanted to. She did turn herself into a rock or tree stump. I forget.) There are several male villains in CoN but they never get confused (no one ever thinks that Miraz or Rabadash is Tash).

I don't get why the film makers want the White Witch to keep coming back. I understand that the critics loved her as the WW in both films, but they will get tired of her very quickly. It would make better sense to have an unknown beauty play the LotGK than to have Tilda play her.

On another note, I'm a little scared about what they're going to do with the LotGK's character, considering what they did to the WW. The WW already comes uncomfortably close to trying to seduce Edmund (esp. in the trailer). Just imagine if the WW is the LotGK (in the movies). I have bad (day) dreams of Tilda as the LotGK, going into full seduction mode. :-s Even though most of us hate the idea, I think Tilda will probably play the LotGK, from the way things are going now.
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant » Oct 21, 2010 3:37 pm

aragorn2 wrote:the WW appears to Edmund not Eustace, besides Eustace is a dragon in the DI.

Well that depends on whether only Edmund sees her. Doesn't she appear over Caspian's bed or something in the trailer? I don't know if anyone else sees her though. But if she did, and even if Dragon Eustace saw her, wouldn't he recognize her?

Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 24, 2010 11:03 am

Bookwyrm wrote:I think the movieverse WW must be part cockroach. The only way you can explain her surviving having her head bitten off and a sword rammed through her torso.

=)) =)) =)) Bookwyrm, that's the best theory I've seen in a while.

They'd really had better not cast Tilda as LotGK. I won't boycot the series if they do, but I won't be watching SC 'til I can rent it, for free.

So out of curiosity, with the whole "of the same ilk" thing- does that mean LotGK is from Charn, or does it just mean that they're both evil and both best avoided at all costs? That whole thing always confused me.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Josh » Oct 24, 2010 5:29 pm

Okay I don't think WW and LotGK being the same would be something to boycott the series for. For one, many people really think they are the same. Yes it would be annoying, but it wouldnt kill the franchise.

For instance if the rest of the SC movie is perfect, I wouldnt let the return of Tilda kill the movie for me.

Besides, I didnt hear any boycotts when Barbra Kellermen played the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

I would boycott the series over something like having Aslan say "But there, I have other names" or if they humanised his character. Or if they had Susan appear in Aslan's country. Or if they added in battles in the Magician's Nephew and changed it so that Digory and Polly ended up creating Narnia instead of Aslan, through their magic rings, etc.

The one thing that may make me boycott a reappearance of Tilda is if she replaces Tash in the Last Battle. They have no argument for her replacing him.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 24, 2010 5:41 pm

I wouldn't boycott the movies either, That would be stupid and tiresome, but not boycott worthy.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Nov 01, 2010 2:08 am

Josh wrote:Besides, I didnt hear any boycotts when Barbra Kellermen played the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

You may not have been around at the time? LWW 1988, PC/VDT 1989, SC 1990.

Sui-Lun said
the filmmakers of Narnia brought back the white witch in the other movies because they don't want us to forget her, and it seems like she's always trying to get back from the dead, so that makes it more obvious that they are having Tilda Swinton as the green witch.

People who are dead are not "always trying to get back from the dead". They are dead. It is not obvious that the film-makers are having Tilda play her - have you not read the comments on here?

Please refer to my comment on page 2 of this thread.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Urnus » Nov 01, 2010 8:37 am

Here is my logic for how I thought they were the same.

1) Glimfeather said:
“Long, long ago, at the very beginning, a White Witch came out of the North and bound our land in snow and ice for a hundred years. And we think this is some of the same crew.”

Now, he doesn't say that they're the same, only of the same sort. Glumpuddle, I believe it was, said that Lewis meant that they are both witches, but I'm not so sure. They had already established previously in the conversation that she was a witch, so he must of meant something else.

2) At the end, one of the dwarfs says:
“And the lesson of it all is, your Highness, that those Northern Witches always mean the same thing, but in every age they have a different plan for getting it.”

This quote you could argue both ways. You can say that by the use of the plural “witches” a different witch is implied. You can also say that the second part of the sentence implies that it is the same witch with a different plan.

3) And last of all, what really convinced me was a quote by Aslan from Magician's Nephew:
“Alas, it will. Things always work according to their nature. She has won her heart's desire; she has unwearying strength and endless days like a goddess. But length of days with an evil heart is only length of misery and already she begins to know it. All get what they want; they do not always like it.”

So we know that the WW was/is immortal. The question is, does that mean she is unkillable, which can be implied from “unwearying strength” or only that she cannot die by natural causes and that Aslan could kill her.

On a related note, since when are Jadis and the White Witch the same? If it weren't for the quote in MN where Aslan says that most of the evil will fall on him, we would probably consider them to be different people, especially with the contradiction between the books as to her orgin.
Urnus
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Sui-Lun » Nov 01, 2010 6:41 pm

So do you or do you not think it should be the same "person"?
Sui-Lun
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext