This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Reepicheep Recast! Again!? Simon Pegg takes over?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Reepicheep Recast! Again!? Simon Pegg takes over?

Postby icarus » Jun 20, 2010 7:50 am

Tirian just posted the news story that Simon Pegg has replaced Bill Nighy who in turn replaced Eddie Izzard, as the voice of Reepicheep.... Its not April Fool's time again is it? Anyone have any idea what on earth is going on here?

http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/06/simon- ... Movie+News)

For the record, here is the previous topic - "Reepicheep Recast! Bill Nighy takes over!" - 100+ posts discussing the merits of Bill Nighy replacing Eddie Izzard... all for nothing evidently. Here we go again...

My thoughts are that i really don't now see how this is a step-up from Eddie Izzard. When Bill Nighy came in, regardless of how you felt about the change, you could at least take solace in the fact that they were bringing in a well respected actor of considerable talent. Essentially it represented that a step up from a Comedic Actor in Eddie Izzard to a Dramatic Actor in Bill Nighy. And given the nature of Reepicheep's character development in VDT, i think we can all agree it was a good thing to see them going for serious rather than comedic for his character

But now we have gone back to a Comedic Actor? And not only that, but a Comedic Actor who in my opinion isn't even as good as Eddie Izzard, either on a dramatic level or on a comedic level. Basically, i really don't see what we are gaining this time around with the change.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Reepicheep Recast! Again!? Simon Pegg takes over?

Postby PeaceAndLove » Jun 20, 2010 8:25 am

I have no idea.

But about the voice of Reepicheep, I am very confused, these days.

I thought the voice on the trailer sounds like Eddie's.
And I can read a name - Eddie Izzart ( not Izzard. just misspelling? ) in the cast list on the Fox Japan Website.
That cast list is very strange. I can't trust it.
A several month ago, it was Georgie Henley instead.
And there are ONLY 2 names beside - Ben Barnes and Skandar Keyens.
PeaceAndLove
NarniaWeb Regular

Simon Pegg Replaces Bill Nighy

Postby aravis_tarkina » Jun 20, 2010 9:20 am

So what are your thoughts on this? I have to admit that the first thing I thought was "Oh my gosh! They were in Shaun of the Dead together!"

But I honestly don't have much of a problem with it, I like the sound of Simon's voice and think Bill Nighy would have sounded a little too old. As long as it isn't inhibiting the proper representation of the character I'm fine.
"It's a cow folks. No rhyme or reason other than the fact that I like COWS." -violetfirekrazed
aravis_tarkina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 20, 2010 9:24 am

This is too confusing. I'm in shock and my brain hurts.
I smell a fish, and a very mischevious one at that.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Re: Simon Pegg Replaces Bill Nighy

Postby Ugly Pig » Jun 20, 2010 9:36 am

This repeated re-casting of Reepicheep is getting kind of ridiculous. But I guess Pegg's voice sounds a bit closer to Eddie Izzard's than Bill Nighy's does...
Ugly Pig
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bother Eustace » Jun 20, 2010 9:55 am

I'm more curious than anything... what's up with all this recasting? I'm not sure who's voice I would have liked or do like better. All I know is, I was happy with the voice in the trailer... whoever that was. I'm inclined to believe it was Pegg, sounded more like him.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ~DaughterOfEve~ » Jun 20, 2010 10:18 am

My initial reaction was "Why are they changing actors again?" It's kind of worrisome but at least the role isn't vacant right now. Like Brother Eustace said, I am happy with the voice in the trailer... whoever it was. It did sound a lot like Eddie Izzard, I had completely forgotten that he wasn't Reep anymore.
~DaughterOfEve~
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 20, 2010 10:31 am

I'm not really partial to who voices him, as long as they don't sound too noticeably different from Eddie Izzard. I also really liked the voice in the trailer - I couldn't even really tell a difference between the new voice & the old. I hope the voice in the trailer is the one that we'll be hearing in the movie.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 20, 2010 10:40 am

It is quite ashame to me considering Bill Nighy is one of my favorite actors and great voice overs. But I will not let this change ruin my love for this movie coming out. ;)
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby SplendorHyaline » Jun 20, 2010 11:01 am

I was really pleased with the voice in the trailer, too... whoever it was! It was really close to Eddie Izzard but there was a new maturity to it, I think. It fits Reep's story arc well.

I'm also inclined to think that it was Simon Pegg; I remember thinking: "Wow, Bill Nighy sounds... not like himself." Heh.
"And now... with the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile." - How to Train Your Dragon

SplendorHyaline
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby daughter of the King » Jun 20, 2010 11:33 am

When the trailer came out and Reepicheep delivered his one line, I didn't think he sounded any different. When I first looked at Narnia.com, it said Reepicheep was being played by Bill Nighy, but yesterday it said TBA. I was confused and couldn't figure out why it would say that. Now I know why, but I'm still confused. I just don't understand the change. I didn't like Eddie Izzard's voice to begin with, so I was happy to hear Bill Nighy had taken the role. But now Bill Nighy is being replaced??? I'm just confused.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby starkat » Jun 20, 2010 11:35 am

*combines this thread and the one started in the GMD*

Interesting... his voice sounds very similar to the voice we hear in the trailer. I wonder if he's the one who did the voice for the trailer.
starkat

Postby AJAiken » Jun 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Well, I really like Simon Pegg so I quite like this change. The "why" of it has me all confused though! I feel a little sad for Bill Nighy; in that interview he seemed to very much enjoy the character of Reepicheep.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby GlimGlum » Jun 20, 2010 1:42 pm

A surprise, indeed. :-o But I am willing to give the filmmakers the benefit of the doubt that they are trying to get the character of Reepicheep right in every way possible.

These things happen. And I don't believe they made a change hoping it would be for the worse. 8-| So I wish Simon Pegg the best in his efforts to portray one of the most beloved Narnian characters of them all. :ymapplause:

starkat wrote:I wonder if he's the one who did the voice for the trailer.

I also muse along with startkat about Reep's trailer voice. It didn't sound that different to me from Eddie Izzard's previous rendition.
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Benjamin » Jun 20, 2010 3:03 pm

AGAIN!? That is precisely what I thought! I am sure that the filmmakers know what they are doing... I hope! :-ss

Okay a bit of news you all might like if it has not already been told ;)) ... So in Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, it looks like he is the voice of Buck, the guide through Dinosaur land.
Avvie By Flambeau Sig by Ithilwen
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby pogginfan » Jun 20, 2010 6:52 pm

First, I have officially decided the film makers are trying to kill me.

Second, I much prefer his voice to Nighy's. I think it suits Reep much better. :D I honestly think people won't even notice the voice change. I mean, Reep didn't exactly have a lot of lines in PC, and Izzard's voice isn't dramatically different from Pegg's. And seeing how most of Reep's lines in PC were for the sake of comic relief, this might actually be a smart move by the filmmakers.
I find Pegg's voice more suitable for a substantial character that's not being funny all the time. In fact, I'm actually kinda happy about this change...just very shocked. :P

Avy by ValiantArcher, sig by hyaline12. Thank you!
pogginfan
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next