This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Aslan between the movies

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Aslan between the movies

Postby decarus » Jul 10, 2010 7:10 am

I agree that it looks a little bit better. We haven't seen enough for me to make a final judgment.

I meant his face was too long in PC.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Aug 04, 2010 1:04 pm

My favorite Aslan was in LWW. He looked so tangible, so real. When he first came out of the tent I almost felt it was a real lion.
In PC he just didn't look right. It looked like he wasn't finished. His face was to long, and he lacked emotion.
In the fist picture that wolfloversk put up of the VDT Aslan, to me he looked like a stuffed animal. No emotion, no nothing. In the second one he looked a little more real, but in the third one to me he looked like a cartoon character. You could see it was obviously 3D.
I'm sorry if I offended someone with what I said,(because I noticed that a lot of people think the VDT Aslan is the best so far) but I think that the LWW Aslan was THE best.
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby wild rose » Aug 05, 2010 6:20 am

I didn't like the PC Aslan very much and from what I've seen of VotDT I didn't like him much either (the second VDT picture of him was great but the other two didn't look real enough) Reminded me abit of a stuffed animal.
The LWW Aslan is my favorite, I especially love his eyes, they seem to convay so much emotion. I think the LWW Aslan is the best
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Gilby's Angel » Aug 05, 2010 9:24 am

I'm another fan of LWW Aslan. De De, I agree, when he walked out of the tent, OH MY, that made the movie for me!! All I could think was "How did they get a real lion to do that!!" Yeah, I know, pretty naive :ymblushing: . PC Aslan was very disappointing. Even though I really liked the movie, Aslan was a big let down. I hope VDT returns to a more LWW-type Aslan. So far, I'm not impressed with him in the trailers but I'm hopeful when the movie is released, he'll be bigger and better than ever!! :ymhug:
Nothing anyone does gives me the right to be unkind.
Gilby's Angel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lion's Emblem » Aug 06, 2010 9:38 pm

The LWW has got to be my favorite version of Aslan. Everytime I watch the film, even though I know Aslan is something from the computer, I can fully believe that Aslan is a real walking and talking lion. I just want to reach out and touch his mane (the movement in the hairs is amazing, whether Aslan is moving or his mane is just blowing in the breeze). I really feel like those at Rhythm and Hues fully understood Aslan and the prospect of making him fully believable (a little fun fact for the day: there were three models used for Aslan in LWW, each for key parts of the film).

I could believe in only portions of the PC Aslan. His overall movements and interactions between "real" characters had improved, but the facial expressions and close-ups were a disappointment. I cringe everytime I see the shot of Lucy and Aslan at Beruna Bridge. The most believable shots of Aslan in PC for me were: Lucy seeing Aslan in her dream and hugging him (the interaction is believable), Aslan knocking the Telmarine soldier off his horse (again, a believable interaction), and Aslan's talk with Peter and Susan at the end of the film (probably my favorite shot of Aslan in PC. I wanted to be standing next to him there too).

As of now, it's hard to say much about the VDT Aslan becuase it isn't complete yet. In the trailer though, he feels like the BBC version of Aslan. His mane looks rough and I'm not sure on his coloration (there's a big change between that on the beach and the shot with Lucy on board the DT). I still think the LWW version of Aslan will be my favorite in the end, but I'll just have to see VDT to really decide.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Aug 10, 2010 2:18 pm

I am hoping that Aslan looks the best in VotDT. I don't really know why, but maybe it's because VotDT is my favorite book! and he already, IMO, looks best in VotDT from the few pictures we have seen of him!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Daughter_of_Ramandu » Aug 10, 2010 2:31 pm

My favorite Aslan was in LWW. Perhaps he was shown more, he wasn't rushed into animation like in PC. He was very realistic and meaningful.
Co-Founder of Jilrian Club, Jill/Tirian. PM DamselJillPole or me to join.
A proud Supporter of the Caspian/Lilliandil Romance!
I support Laura Brent!
Daughter_of_Ramandu
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby edmundrox12 » Aug 19, 2010 11:26 am

Aslan in lww looked absolutely amazing, but in pc :( :( :( :( he didn't look very good, cuz they didn't spend too much time on him because he wasn't in it that much, but still he was kinda a dissapointment in pc. i think he'll look great in votd
edmundrox12
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage in Obi-Wan's spaceship along with Liberty Hoffman

Postby De_De » Aug 20, 2010 4:58 am

I agree, Aslan looked so real in LWW! I have high hopes for Aslan in VDT!

(Glad to have you along edmundrox12 :ymhug: )
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Valiant » Aug 22, 2010 10:32 am

Does anyone have any pictures of real lions to compare Aslan with?

I liked LWW the best, PC is ok, bt I'm not happy with VDT. His fur is too fluffy, his colour is weird and he does look like a stuffed animal.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby edmundrox12 » Aug 24, 2010 4:08 pm

is it just me or did aslan in pc look kinda greenish
edmundrox12
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage in Obi-Wan's spaceship along with Liberty Hoffman

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Aug 24, 2010 6:18 pm

My favorite so far is LWW Aslan. I don't think the CGI has progressed. If anything, it seems to have gone downward! I haven't seen very much of VDT Aslan, though, so I'll have to wait to decide.
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby Trufflehunter » Aug 25, 2010 9:11 am

I was one of those people that preferred the PC Aslan to the LWW Aslan. But personally, I have to say that I like the VDT Aslan from the trailers the best so far! Aslan really has to do more things in this movie compared to others. Not only does he have to walk around and talk, but if the film makers are going to follow the book (and we have heard that they are) than Aslan has to literally tear Eustace's dragon skin off. I was not able to read anything of the leaked script while it was available, and I hardly know anything about it. I did hear, however that as opposed to Aslan turning into an albatross and leading the crew out of the Dark Island, the Dawn Treader will follow Ramandu's Daughter, while she is in her star form. I always thought it would be an absolutely amazing CG scene to see Aslan transform into both the albatross and the lamb. I think it would be so cool to see the golden mane burst out over the lamb's wool, for the lamb to begin to grow in size, until he is completely transformed into his usual form!
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby edmundrox12 » Aug 25, 2010 1:22 pm

seeing aslan transform would be amazing, but i think that they are spending so much time making normal aslan that they won't have the time to a scene like that
edmundrox12
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 02, 2010 10:29 am

Here's an African lion Valiant. Take note that the color of the mane varies between brown and black (and white in white lions ;) ) Contrary to the Lion King and various other depictions a darker mane usually signifies a stronger animal, and females prefer lions with darker manes. (There's also a maneless variety but we know Aslan isn't one of those. :P )
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Trufflehunter » Sep 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Aslan's mane never gets as dark as the lion's in the picture, does it?
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext