This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Tirian

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Tirian

Postby MountainFireflower » May 24, 2010 9:03 pm

I've been reading the Last Battle lately, and it's one of my favorite books in the series, if not my favorite. I never really realized how much of a key role Tirian has, but he is the Last King of Narnia, and the majority of the book is narrarated from his perspective. He's now one of my favorite characters.

Anyway, I wanted to see what others thought of his character, and didn't see a thread open for him (mods? if I missed something you can close this). So, what do you all think? What should he look like? What should his personality be like? How do you think he should be portrayed? I'd love to hear your thoughts! :D

(Note: I wasn't really thinking that here is the place to discuss any possible romances with Tirian & Lucy, Tirian & Jill, etc., just so you know.)
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Tirian - ?

Postby ChristProclamer » May 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Hint taken there on the romances. ;)

I always loved him, too. I love how Aslan affirms him for standing strong in the last and worst days of the world. I read his character for the first time and really admired him.

Though I think he ran a risk by going against the word of 'Aslan' and following his conscience instead, I love him for standing strong. I like to think though he'd never met Aslan, he knew him well enough not to fall for the false Aslan. Maybe knew Him better than he ever thought.

And I love that he had the courage and faith to call on the Heroes of Old.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » May 24, 2010 11:11 pm

King Tirian is my number 1 favorite male in the Narnia stories. I think it's because he notices his flaws and he knows he is not perfect but when I read about him he has to be the most noblest King of Narnia. He is a perfect gentleman willing to put his comrades and others before him. I love the quote: "Do you think I carry him in my wallet fools." He has an awesome sarcastic sense of humor :D

He's the last king of Narnia too and he takes it up so well with great bravery.
;)

I wish there were real guys like him :ymblushing:

Casting/look like: I know Tirian is supposed to be blonde but I really would love to see him have sandy or light brown hair with I hope medium blue eyes not bright blue eyes but the color of the sea. Ben Barnes's height and fit not too muscular, and a mixed look of both Ben and whoever is going to be casted as Rilian.

Here's a British Disney channel star who is now 18 or 19 but in the future as he matures can play off as a good Tirian:

Gregg Sulkin
I know he's done random shows but come on he's adorable :D and in years time a 20 something year man. Plus he sticks to family things and seems mature and sweet.

Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: Tirian

Postby fantasia » May 25, 2010 7:31 am

Tirian is one of those characters who always threw me because the way he acted in the book always struck me as older than the age Lewis gives him... which is 20-25. Seeing the pace at which they're currently making these movies, the age of current potential actors would be somewhere between 8-13. :))

But having said that, I think that this character, more than any of the other Narnian kings, definitely has some flexibility with age. It's not like Rilian who really needs to be 30ish or so. So you could make Tirian 30 years old and it wouldn't change the plot at all. *cough*Caspian*cough*

As far as who should play Tirian, I prefer a relative unknown. It's one of my favorite things about the Narnia movies is that they're steering away from big named actors and actresses.

I think I'd prefer that they keep to the Telmarine look with dark hair and dark eyes.... someone who looks like a decedent of Caspian. Obviously after several generations, it's certainly not required, but I think that would be nice nod to the earlier movies. :)
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby DamselJillPole » May 25, 2010 9:00 am

fantasia_kitty wrote: Seeing the pace at which they're currently making these movies, the age of current potential actors would be somewhere between 8-13. :))

Years? Will poulter is 9 years older then 8 and 4 years older then 13. No way I want Tirian older. Some one who was born between the years 1985-1991
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » May 25, 2010 6:21 pm

ChristProclamer wrote: Though I think he ran a risk by going against the word of 'Aslan' and following his conscience instead, I love him for standing strong. I like to think though he'd never met Aslan, he knew him well enough not to fall for the false Aslan. Maybe knew Him better than he ever thought.

Yes, I agree... that's one of my favorite parts about him, is how he seemed to know Aslan even though he'd never seen Him before. It's really just...beautiful.

DamselJillPole wrote:I love the quote: "Do you think I carry him in my wallet fools." He has an awesome sarcastic sense of humor.

Haha! That's great! I don't think I even noticed that when I was reading...but it is just great. LOL. =))

fantasia_kitty wrote:As far as who should play Tirian, I prefer a relative unknown. It's one of my favorite things about the Narnia movies is that they're steering away from big named actors and actresses.

Yes... although I think that the actor DamselJillPole suggested could be a potential Tirian, I really do think it adds a unique flavor to have virtually unknowns playing the characters. *shrugs* Either way, though, I'm not terribly particular.

I always pictured Tirian with blonde hair, like the book said...but now that you mention it, Telmarines do have darker hair/eyes, etc. So...it'll be interesting to see how he ends up looking. :ymsmug:

I really love how noble Tirian is... it's not every day your world ends and you're forced to deal with the results. :p He handles it so well! His courage, bravery, and strong sense of truth really stand out to me. He's overall...awesome. :D

Great thoughts, everyone!
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 25, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes, I too love his enthusiasm when he mentions about Aslan in the beginning of the book too and how it shatters his idea of him when he finds out Aslan (false Aslan) is allowing the Calormenes to turn the Narnian's into slaves. Last Battle is going to be and awesome story. I can't wait nor can I wait to see who is playing Tirian! :D :D :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » May 26, 2010 7:27 pm

What amazes me is that he still didn't seem to totally doubt Aslan, even after that. He stood strong, till the end, and was rewarded for it.

I think it must have been a beautiful thing for him to finally come face to face with the true Lion.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 26, 2010 7:45 pm

Yeah but there was that space in between when he started to doubt a little. I will admit he was very very strong but I think he got very convinced and stronger when Jill went into the stable and took Puzzel, the fake Aslan.

I so love this tread and King Tirian ;) :D :D
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » May 26, 2010 7:54 pm

I really don't blame him for doubting. But even in his doubt, he didn't give up hope, and that's what I admire.

I wonder what drove him to keep going?
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 26, 2010 8:08 pm

I know :D

Me and you both love Tirian for the same reasons MountainFireFlower!

I know I awlays wondered what kept him going too. My mom would tease me when I read LB the first few times while whispering "You are amazing" back and forth to myself. I still do it sometimes too. His hope is very high and positive. He almost reminds me of a Reep in way. Death does not bring him down.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby MountainFireflower » May 26, 2010 8:18 pm

As ChristProclamer said earlier in the discussion, I think that Tirian knew Aslan better than he ever thought. Death shouldn't bring him down, because he has hope deeper than death's sting. His heart is pure and follows after the truth (aka Aslan).

*wonders where the sudden burst of poetic words came from :p *
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » May 26, 2010 10:35 pm

lol it came from your heart MountainFireflower :D

Seriously Tirian is the best King Of Narnia ever!! ;)
I really hope Walden makes this movie so I can see him and his briliantness! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Adeona » Jun 06, 2010 7:17 pm

MountainFireflower wrote:I wonder what drove him to keep going?

I think the reason Tirian kept going against terrible odds, even to death, was for the love of Narnia as it had been, during the peaceful years of his reign. And for the sake of his subjects, who in part were relying on their king. He would never shirk his duties as a King of Narnia and break faith with his subjects and fore-bearers. For honor and conscious, he would not give up.
Another important reason for keeping on was the fact that, once Jill had "Captured" Puzzle, they knew the evil "Aslan" was a fake and that the real one might yet come. So they had to keep fighting for the good, waiting and hoping for the real Aslan to come and set all to rights again. What if Aslan had come and they had already surrendered? He would undoubtedly have still been able to heal Narnia, but they have failed him by giving up.

That said, I must admit to having no ideas regarding who should act Tirian. Though Fantasia_Kitty has hit it on the dot when saying we need to look for someone currently in his early teens! I personally think Tirian ought to be in his twenties, a rather tall young man with a tanned complexion. But other then that I haven't formed an opinion as to his looks.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby IloveFauns » Jun 07, 2010 6:08 am

DamselJillPole wrote:
fantasia_kitty wrote: Seeing the pace at which they're currently making these movies, the age of current potential actors would be somewhere between 8-13. :))

Years? Will poulter is 9 years older then 8 and 4 years older then 13. No way I want Tirian older. Some one who was born between the years 1985-1991

I think f-k meant that in this year(2010) the actor should be around the age of 8-13. Because they are making the movies so slow, when it comes to the time when the last battle is made the guy will be 20-25. lol it was kind of a joke.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 07, 2010 12:38 pm

IloveFauns wrote:
DamselJillPole wrote:

I think f-k meant that in this year(2010) the actor should be around the age of 8-13. Because they are making the movies so slow, when it comes to the time when the last battle is made the guy will be 20-25. lol it was kind of a joke.

Oh. lol! =)) I was about to say since Will Poulter was born in 1993, the production would have to cast some one for Tirian about 3 years older then him or at least looks it.

I have a feeling that these movie will move along quicker now that TCON are with a different production company now so hopefully 20th Century Fox will cooperate more professionally with Walden Media then Disney did. That way if VTD does great at box office these movies will start coming out one by one each year or two but filming would start every year back to back. i hope this happens that way they wouldn't have to cast someone too much older. I still have a feeling though that they'll get someone born between the years 1986-1991.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next