This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Survey; Susan in LWW or PC?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Survey; Susan in LWW or PC?

Postby GeorgieXOXOsmile » Mar 25, 2010 12:58 pm

I know you have probably seen my threads on Lucy and Edmund...http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=610http://www.narniaweb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1061
But as we go one step up in age order, we move on to Susan! :)

I think I like Susan best in PC because she believes in Narnia even more and she meets Caspian. :)

Now it's time for you to tell me: Do you like Susan in LWW or PC?
Also please point out different reasons for each movie/book!
Thanks for reading! :)

P.S. I have another question for you: Do you like these surveys I am doing? Peter is next!
GeorgieXOXOsmile
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Survey; Susan in LWW or PC?

Postby QueenSusanJ316 » Mar 25, 2010 2:36 pm

I like Susan best in LWW, because they stayed more with the book's discussion of her, although that is not Anna Popplewell's fault. I did not like how they had Caspian flirting with her, but I thought it was cool that she met someone in Narnia near her age(okay maybe with 1,000 years difference :) )
PM me if you would like be part of a Lion Party in the state of New York!
QueenSusanJ316
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Mar 25, 2010 9:09 pm

I like Susan in PC more, I find her character more interesting. The whole torn between two worlds thing, trying to be grown up but finding herself in Narnia again...fasinating. :)
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Narniafan#1 » Mar 27, 2010 11:21 am

I think I liked Susan more in LWW. She was a little more true to the book in that one. And in PC I kinda felt like she was a completely new person. ;) But I didn't hate her in PC, I just liked her better in LWW.
Image<-made by nz_narnia_nut,avvie by Djeq
http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/narnianheart-You can get cool prizes when you sign up for Swagbucks (like Starbucks gift cards)!
Narniafan#1
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby HM Swanwhite » Apr 04, 2010 8:40 pm

What a hard decision! I quite like her in both, but I probably like her better in PC because I can relate to her better. That pressure to fit in adds a new element to her character. She is finding it hard to go back into her old life after her experience in Narnia. [b]Valiant_Lucy's[b] thoughts on that are really cool I think. I don't like, however, how they made her flirt with Caspian. NOT cool! At least not as far as being true to the book goes because some part of me kind of like's those scenes. :p But I do also like her fighting bits (despite also not being true to the book) because apart from my fear I'd probably be there right alongside her as I'm a sporty kind of girl. ;) And I like girl's that aren't all wussy.

But I also agree with the LWW argument. More true to the book and all that. I also like Susan's gentleness (total opposite to what I was just saying I know :p ), it's something we all can learn from. :)
Go Marina Erakovic!
I've met Michael Apted!!!
Av & Sig by Me. NWeb sis: ForeverFan
HM Swanwhite
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 05, 2010 9:46 am

Oh golly, how can I decide, I guess I'll go with LWW (because I don't like the whole romance thing) but I think she was very good in both.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 05, 2010 1:23 pm

I liked Susan more in LWW.
In PC she just was not in character and was a completely different person to where I wanted to go to Narnia and look for the real canon Susan because this Susan was not her at all. I'm sorry but I honestly felt that way.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Apr 08, 2010 5:53 pm

I really don't think there is a difference between LWW Susan and PC Susan.

Her personality/character was really the same. True in PC she got to fight more and she kissed Caspian, but thats more because the situation in PC gave her the opprotunity to do so, not because it would go against her LWW character.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 5:20 pm

Josh, shes Susan the Gentle not Susan the killer/seducer/warrior

She was more into Caspian's safety rather then her families. At the Night Raid she could of looked above herself and saw that Edmund was fighting off a lot of Telmarines on the roof. And she saw that Peter was getting into some trouble as well. She's just in the middle of the courtyard, "Caspian where are you, caspian show your pwetty face. Let me know you are alive." then the centaur comes to her rescue to get her out. She turns to Peter. "Caspian?!" and peter's like fighting for his life and shes not even worried except for a guy she had no character development with and couldnt have possibly fallen in love with him in six hours.

Another thing that bothered me is that the movie called 'Prince Caspian' when it should have been called "Confessions of Queen Susan" because it was all about her. Really she was annoying in PC. She was smiling at times when she shouldn't have. She had that I'm a selfish cocky perfect Queen smirk and look on her face. I didn't like it. She was not Susan.

And the reason why I might feel that way is because maybe this is the start where Susan becomes the person she in LB.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lover of narnia » May 01, 2010 5:04 pm

DamselJillPole, I don't see why you have to be so negative. Susan was Susan and going into Narnia and strangling her is completely wrong. You may not agree, or like what they did, but even kidding about doing that isn't nice. Yes, Susan was concerned over Caspian's safety. Tell me, if you loved some one...wouldn't you be? Though there is a VERY good example of how she cared for her siblings as well. Actually, two of them. She risked her life to keep the Telmarines from getting Lucy. And she hugged Peter after he was going to return to the duel. You are titled to your own opinions, but being mean and rude won't help express those any better than saying them politely.

I liked Susan better in PC then LWW. Though there really isn't any reason. She was Susan to me in both, though in PC she had changed some and grown up, obviously. :p I like the whole flirting and romance between her and Caspian, and I think it just added more depth to her character and a much more enjoyable movie. :D I like her fighting in PC as well, though in LWW it fit that she couldn't and wouldn't. In PC she had to. She was Queen of Narnia, and just watching as her brothers (and love) went out to risk their lives in battle wouldn't have been fun! Plus, I think it again added depth to her. She could fight and defend her land, even though she was gentle. I liked her to in LWW, very much in fact, but because PC is my all time favorite movie I tend to be bias, and like the characters more in it. Susan was Susan. And I like her that way. I've gotten to expound more on what I think of her character in my own fan fictions and it's hard to describe. So in answer to this survey, I like Susan in PC more then LWW. ;)

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby DamselJillPole » May 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Lover of Narnia: This was clearly my opinion. Susan was in character in LWW. I thought she wasn't in PC. And yeah you are the one to talk about love 8-| She only knew him for a few hours without any interaction in the whole movie with Caspian. You cant fall in love with someone that quick, it was merely lustful infatuation that didn't belong in the movie in the first place. That was the whole point of her being rude to a not so handsome boy in the beginning of the movie and used Caspian's infatuation to make herself feel better. Caspian is a naive prince who in book/movie knows he is a looker and will get the big attention with anyone, (um Susan, high Queen, and um RD a star), why do you think he turned down a girl who squints and has freckles?... yep it's because he knows he can do better, counting his attraction for Susan. I wouldn't really call that love. Besides Caspian's true love is RD. A first love is fine and dandy, it doesn't mean it's their love for all eternity 8-| . Which is what I think you raging at me is about in the first place. You can not and will not change my mind! Don't think I'm talking rudely about a character when you obviously feel the same way about wanting to be rude about RD's character. ;) (If you want to discuss this matter then feel free to PM me. I can go all out on this)

In fact I did explain certain areas where I liked Susan in PC, just I feel her character was better over all in LWW.

FYI, to answer your question Lover Of Narnia, I would be more concerned over my families safety I've know my whole life instead of some hot guy I've just met. [-(

It takes months to years to fall in love with the right person. Dont talk mush until you experience it yourself ;)

Caspian and Susan are not love.
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wisewoman » May 03, 2010 5:23 am

I'm not a fan of Movie Susan in PC either, and Susaspian™ drives me up a wall ;)). But — and this is a big but — while that opinion is perfectly valid, I still need to express it in a respectful way. There are always polite ways to disagree! "Susan frustrated me in PC" is much different from "I want to strangle Susan."

Always assume that the cast members can read what you write here — because, of course, they can! Saying that you dislike the way Susan's character was handled in PC is one thing. Talking about personal violence toward the character/actress is completely different, and crosses a line. Let's just not go there, okay? Thanks guys :)
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » May 03, 2010 7:34 am

DamselJillPole wrote:Josh, shes Susan the Gentle not Susan the killer/seducer/warrior

She was more into Caspian's safety rather then her families. At the Night Raid she could of looked above herself and saw that Edmund was fighting off a lot of Telmarines on the roof. And she saw that Peter was getting into some trouble as well. She's just in the middle of the courtyard, "Caspian where are you, caspian show your pwetty face. Let me know you are alive." then the centaur comes to her rescue to get her out. She turns to Peter. "Caspian?!" and peter's like fighting for his life and shes not even worried except for a guy she had no character development with and couldnt have possibly fallen in love with him in six hours.

Another thing that bothered me is that the movie called 'Prince Caspian' when it should have been called "Confessions of Queen Susan" because it was all about her. Really she was annoying in PC. She was smiling at times when she shouldn't have. She had that I'm a selfish cocky perfect Queen smirk and look on her face. I didn't like it. She was not Susan.

And the reason why I might feel that way is because maybe this is the start where Susan becomes the person she in LB.

This is not the gang up on Damsel club and I sure hope you don't feel that way, you just mentioned a few things I thought were interesting.

1. She was more concerned with Caspian's safety than the safety of her family. That makes sense to me apart from him being a love interest. As you also pointed out, the movie is called Prince Caspian. If Caspian had died the movie would've ended there and the Pevensies would've failed their mission. The whole reason they were called to Narnia was to get Caspian safely to the throne. Had he been killed Narnia would've been subjected to more of the tyrannical Telmarine rule, thus protecting Caspian = protecting Narnia.

I would also like to remind you that Susan and her siblings were all technically older than Caspian, having grown up in Narnia once already and in doing so had most likely aquired more fighting experience then he. I mean, I hate to say it but of the four of them, the three Pevensies present at that time and Caspian, he was probably the weakest link.

Granted, she was supposed to be Queen Susan the Gentle, but it isn't like they had a huge army to fight against Miraz, they needed all the help they could get. They could've shown a scene where she was reluctant to fight but after years of being queen surely she knew there were times where that was necessary. If she couldn't suck it up and fight, when needed, then they should change her title from Queen Susan the Gentle to Queen Susan the Wuss

2 Maybe this is pointing toward who she is in LB. I think you could be onto something. She does seem like a more shallow Susan than the one in LWW and in that case maybe that was some foreshadowing, which may actually make the Suspian thing a bit more sensible. It doesn't really reflect poorly on Caspian's character and shouldn't interfere with Caspian/ RD too much.

I think Susan has good points and bad points in both so I think I pretty much like her equally in both LWW and PC though if she just had to flirt with Caspian she could've been a lot less cheesy =))
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » May 03, 2010 10:03 am

AslanIsOnTheMove wrote:This is not the gang up on Damsel club and I sure hope you don't feel that way, you just mentioned a few things I thought were interesting.

And that is one reason why we (moderators) are here: to make sure that things like that don't happen.

I also don't like the tone of some of these recent posts.
NarniaWeb Forum rules wrote:1.) Speak respectfully of other NarniaWebbers, public figures, and corporations. You should be fair in your statements about people and companies. Always assume that the person you are discussing can read every word you type — because, of course, he or she can and many people involved with the Narnia productions do. Do not flame other members, and do avoid hateful and inflammatory language. Extreme statements like these are not welcome here:

It would also be wise to heed wiswoman's post above. And it doesn't matter that a character is unreal, the language used in reference to that character had better not cross the line into violent acts or swift and direct action will be taken including: having you edit your post or removing the post from the thread or deleting it if necessary. :|

I'm confident things will improve.
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby DamselJillPole » May 03, 2010 10:07 am

AslanIsOnTheMove wrote:1. She was more concerned with Caspian's safety than the safety of her family. That makes sense to me apart from him being a love interest. As you also pointed out, the movie is called Prince Caspian. If Caspian had died the movie would've ended there and the Pevensies would've failed their mission. The whole reason they were called to Narnia was to get Caspian safely to the throne. Had he been killed Narnia would've been subjected to more of the tyrannical Telmarine rule, thus protecting Caspian = protecting Narnia.

Yes I know that, but Andrew could have gotten Edmund to be more concerned at that point and time. With getting Susan, she was staring blankly off as if she would die without Caspian as if she had fallen deeply in love with him over five hours of non comunication. oh boo hoo :(( :p

I was just explaining that that scene over all was cheesy and that I would be concerned yes, but more over all my families.

AslanIsOnTheMove wrote:Granted, she was supposed to be Queen Susan the Gentle, but it isn't like they had a huge army to fight against Miraz, they needed all the help they could get. They could've shown a scene where she was reluctant to fight but after years of being queen surely she knew there were times where that was necessary. If she couldn't suck it up and fight, when needed, then they should change her title from Queen Susan the Gentle to Queen Susan the Wuss

I understand this as well, but she didn't have to be the killing machine like the Terminator. That should have been Edmund's job. The movie seemed to have focused more on Susan then anybody else making her appear as some Mary Sue of Narnia. And I know why. Adamson felt as though this was the last movie Susan could appear important and this was the movie he was going to make Susan a bigger character. Just some of her plots were unnecessary.

AslanIsOnTheMove wrote:2 Maybe this is pointing toward who she is in LB. I think you could be onto something. She does seem like a more shallow Susan than the one in LWW and in that case maybe that was some foreshadowing, which may actually make the Suspian thing a bit more sensible. It doesn't really reflect poorly on Caspian's character and shouldn't interfere with Caspian/ RD too much.

Yeah I know. That is what I thought about too. But a kiss doesn't have to indicate that. It came out more hollywoodish then for the actual foreshadowing of Susan's character. If it was not done in the book to CS Lewis's liking, why start now in a silly made movie? :-\ :-\ :-\
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lover of narnia » May 03, 2010 11:43 am

DamselJillPole, I did not speak out of any rage toward you. I simple said, just like they other mods have stated nicely, that saying what you said about Susan wasn't nice. I wasn't being mean, nor did I intend or want to. Neither was I angry at you. Everyone knows we have extremely different opinions concerning romance in the Narnia books/movies. I have though, never insulted Rd's daughter or openly been mean to her. That's against forum rules and it would not gain me, or anyone else good. Would it change your opinion? No. Anyone elses? No. [-( I dislike her, but that's another matter. We believe and like different things, lets leave it like that. :) Me PMing you would only be a mistake. We would argue, say nasty things and it would never end. Lot's up people believe how you believe, there are some that side with me. There is nothing helpful in arguing. I was once involved in ones of this discussions...I was hurt, and people, HIGH people, had to step in.

And please don't insult Susan. She was beautiful and Caspian was handsome...they were attracted to each other, and I happen to believe in love at first sight. :D You may be upset at me, but saying things about them won't change my opinion. Ever. ;) And I believe they are love. Have you ever been involved in love? Would you know? I'm too young to fall in love, but that doesn't matter. I still can see love, and like reading, watching and writing about it. By the way, PC actually spanned longer than hours. They were in Narnia for days. About a week I think from what Edmund said. They can start falling in love in that time. I think. ;) Now, since I'm sure they mods would like this subject dropped, I will drop it. But I'm still saying, Susan had reasons for doing things she did in the movie. She was concerned for Caspian, AND her family. There was an equal balance pro-trade. I think she did what she had to, and what her heart told her to do in the time she was there.

I liked her in PC better. Though she had strengths and weaknesses in both.

Also, I'm not trying to gang up on DamselJillPole. I am, responding and expressing my opinion. I wasn't trying to be rude.

GlimGlum, Did I say something wrong? :( I'm REALLY sorry if I am...I know I can get heated and a little straight forward with my beliefs. I'm sorry if I was some of the cause for the posts you didn't like. If you want me to edit or delete this current one, all you have to do is PM me. ;)

AslanIsOnTheMove, You do have some good points there yourself. I do agree with you in some spots but not in others. ;) You do have a very good point with Susan fighting. Her name is Susan the Wuss. She pretty much HAD to fight.

With this said....I think I'm done. Mods, if I have said things wrong...please PM me.

~ Lover

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Next