This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ramandu - ?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Ramandu - ?

Postby MountainFireflower » Jun 16, 2010 7:06 pm

^ Yeah, Ramandu was very fascinating and one of my favorites. I would probably really miss him a lot if they didn't put him in. :(
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Ramandu being cut from VDT?

Postby Trufflehunter » Aug 23, 2010 6:01 pm

In my opinion, it appears to me that Ramandu is going to be completely cut from the movie. We never got a casting announcement for him, and he was not seen in the trailer (though those are not phenomenal reasons to be worried). The only thing we have seen that seems to point in the other direction (Ramandu being included) is that even on Narnia.com with the possible island order and such, the island is still called Ramandu's Island. Could you have Ramandu's Island without a Ramandu?!?
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Ramandu being cut from VDT?

Postby Valiant » Aug 23, 2010 6:34 pm

I can see them cutting out Ramandu or at least combining his character with his daughter. After all, "Lililandill" will probably be more interesting to Hollywood since she marries Caspian. :|

No Ramandu!! :(
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Trufflehunter » Aug 23, 2010 7:17 pm

That's true! Plus, the fact that they gave her her own name might suggest something. Why would she be referred to as 'Ramandu's Daughter' if Ramandu is not present at all in the movie!
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Aug 23, 2010 8:58 pm

A concept art gave us the name of the island "Ramandu's Island". And we still have yet to hear about the casting for Aunt Alberta and Uncle Harold.

Though to be honest, I would rather the character Ramandu be cut instead of having him be this huge distraction of Caspian and Lilliandil's character development. I do hope Lilliandil talks about him and such, but this is something I find completely necessary if Ramandu is not in the film.

*Ducks from flying tomatoes* :p
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Aug 23, 2010 9:29 pm

All Lilliandil needs to say is "I am Lilliandil, daughter of the star Ramandu, etc"

The guy was never that important to me. Lilliandil is more important to the plot so just give his expository dialouge to her.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 20, 2010 5:35 pm

Alright I think there will be a Ramandu,
did anyone notice the treasure clue an narnia.com today? Plus it still says Ramandu's island on the map. I'll edit in the quote.
Don't ask me why they won't tell us who's playing him though... :-\

Edit:
‎"The voyagers met an old man at rest,
An encounter that proved a great pleasure.
The highest point on this island retirement
Points north to the chest filled with treasure."
~Today's Narnian treasure clue from CC
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby AslanIsOnTheMove » Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm

But all those treasure clues are from Cameron Cloud. To my understanding, he doesn't really have anything to do with the actual film or anything. He's just a regular fan, like you and I, with a facebook account. He would always comment in the treasure discussion on VDT's fanpage. He was usually the one to find the treasure first and he gave really good clues within the discussion, so Naria decided to use his clues as the official clues. He has no more inside knowledge than we do. He's just really good at giving hints once he's found the treasure.
AslanIsOnTheMove
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MountainFireflower » Sep 20, 2010 8:56 pm

This doesn't make any sense. Why would it still be called Ramandu's Island if there is no Ramandu? (Unless they have some tragic backstory where they kill him off... I hope not! :-o )

It could be that it's some big secret and we'll all be shocked by who is playing him. Maybe it's Christopher Lee. ;)) :p
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby DamselJillPole » Sep 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Just because the island name would be "Ramandu Island" doesn't mean that Ramandu himself should or will be present. If he is present then I hope that he's not present like he was in the book. That would be very annoying. it seriously annoyed me first reading the book because I wanted Caspian and RD to talk more or have this Sleeping Beauty like romance. Hopefully they'll do this in the movie. Being a huge Narnia fan like I am I don't really care too much for Ramandu himself. I always thought he was huge distraction and I wanted him gone. X( I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is not present. ;)

-Ducks head from flying fruit-
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Agghhh! Twice I messed up and accidentally navigated away from this post in mid sentence. X(

Anyway, what I've been trying to say:

AslanIsOnTheMove wrote:But all those treasure clues are from Cameron Cloud. To my understanding, he doesn't really have anything to do with the actual film or anything. He's just a regular fan, like you and I, with a facebook account. He would always comment in the treasure discussion on VDT's fanpage. He was usually the one to find the treasure first and he gave really good clues within the discussion, so Naria decided to use his clues as the official clues. He has no more inside knowledge than we do. He's just really good at giving hints once he's found the treasure.

Good Point I forgot about that :ymblushing: I wonder though doesn't it have to go through the crew first, so would they really allow it if he wasn't in it? -but that's probably just another case of mr being hopeful. ;))

MountainFireflower wrote: (Unless they have some tragic backstory where they kill him off... I hope not! :-o )

Ahh! Now I have to worry about them potentially killing off three characters?!- Oh No :-s

DamselJillPole, I can see where you come from, I think, but I respectfully dissagree with you- Ramandu is one of my favorite characters and to me he's an important part of the book. I never thought he got in the way of Caspian and RD's relationship, at least not in anyway more than any of the other characters. I can relate with what you're saying though. When I first read Fell, by, David Clement-Davies, I thought that it focused to much on the character of Alina and not enough on Fell himself. But upon rereading it, I found Alina to be just as important as Fell and just as major a character. It's interesting how we can become attached to one or two characters, and then we rush through the parts about the rest of the characters, because we're impatient to read about our favorites.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 21, 2010 7:00 pm

I really love the relationship between Ramandu and his daughter. While I won't be bitterly disappointed if he doesn't end up in the movie, I would love it if they included that relationship. Lewis rarely gives parents much of a role in the series(e.g. the Pevensie parents, Eustace's parents, Aravis's parents, even Aslan's father) with the exception of Shasta and his father in the HHB and Tirian and his father in LB. The fact that he includes this lovely father/daughter relationship is quite special then. Again, I won't hate it if he's not in the movie, but they will have missed a chance to put in a refreshing bit of parental love that is so often missing from blockbuster movies these days
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby GlimGlum » Oct 01, 2010 11:00 am

Queen of Narnia wrote:I am seriously wondering if there's even going to be a Ramandu himself in the movie.

In light of more recent news:
Recent News Story highlight wrote:Lilliandil introduces herself as the daughter of Ramandu.

I wrote in the rumors section.
GlimGlum wrote:Well, I just had an interesting thought about Ramandu's presence in the movie. He could actually still be in the movie, but only as a star. If Lilliandil appears as a star and in human form, why not her father just as a star?

I think it the best chance of Ramandu's appearing in VDT! All his daughter has to do is point to the Narnian night sky and say, "There's my dad, twinkling brightly right over there." :D B-) :-o

(Will Ramandu glow blue too?) :D

We'll find out December 10th. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Ramandu?

Postby 7chronicles » Oct 30, 2010 3:45 pm

On Narnia.com they opened Ramandu’s island, and if you scroll your mouse over to the cave to the right of Edmund it reads:
“Near the edge of the world, old Ramandu watches. How long has he been observing the events of this world, and exactly how far does his gaze extend?”
Does this confirm that Ramandu is for sure in the film? :-\ :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Ramandu?

Postby Raticus » Oct 30, 2010 3:58 pm

Highly doubtful.

He may be referenced to in the film by Lilliandil, but I'm pretty sure we would have seen him by now if he was going to be in the movie. I would love to be proven wrong though.
Raticus
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Ramandu?

Postby Josh » Oct 30, 2010 4:41 pm

My guess is they will show him briefly as a CGI star/human with only a voice actor (which is the only way I could see them containing his role secret for so long).

If he does appear in human form it would have to be for a very brief, but significant scene that has been kept under wraps from the fans of the film.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext