This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eustace - Will Poulter

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Re: Eustace - Will Poulter

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Nov 13, 2010 6:54 pm

^^^Sounds exactly like something Reep would say! I hadn't noticed that! That's going to be one of my favourite parts; Reep comforting DragonEustace.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PeterCharn » Nov 15, 2010 1:48 pm

I think that Will Poulter was a good casting choice for Eustace in VDT.....but I have been thinking about the SIlver Chair a lot lately and I am starting to doubt whether or not he will be able to carry a movie as a lead role.

In LWW Lucy and edmund were the strong actors and the standouts of the four penvensies (in my opinion) and it worked well that they are in 3 Narnia movies.

In VDT Eustace will only be a supporting Character because there are many main Characters (Lucy, Edmund, Reep, Caspian) and he spends "the heart of the movie" as a dragon. I think that this stresses the need for a strong lead role for Jill and Puddleglum because all three of them will have a TONNES of screen time in SC because a lot of the movie is the threee of them travelling.
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Shastafan » Nov 15, 2010 5:09 pm

^Remember, Hollywood LOVES to add, cut, and change to books that they make into movies(ugh :-s ), so it might not feel that way when they make SC. But I've been wrong before... :-??

I agree that Eustace isn't overly important in some of VDT, but he's still usually there. One change I had in mind for Edmund in VDT was that they gave him more purpose and an arch of somekind, and to my relief, they did(although I didn't expect there'd be scary green mist and the WW involved #-o). My big thing for Eustace in SC is that they give him more importance as well, as long as it's not including pride, something that doesn't fit, or something that we've seen too many times and don't like. Jill and Puddleglum are very much still important characters to me, and their character archs are important. But since it's nearly a two hour movie they'll hopefully be making, and since Will is marvelous, I'm positive they'll be able to give Eustace more reason to be there, and that Will will be able to keep the character still eye-catching and heart-winning as he has in VDT. ;)
Shastafan
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 15, 2010 5:50 pm

PeterCharn wrote:I think that Will Poulter was a good casting choice for Eustace in VDT.....but I have been thinking about the SIlver Chair a lot lately and I am starting to doubt whether or not he will be able to carry a movie as a lead role.

After meeting him in person Friday at the Beverly Center, I think he will be able to do that. He has obviously grown physically and is very mature for his age. But I also saw in him the kind of "presence" about him that should come across on the big screen. The kind if presence that would enable him to carry a movie in a leading role.

Shastafan wrote:But since it's nearly a two hour movie they'll hopefully be making, and since Will is marvelous, I'm positive they'll be able to give Eustace more reason to be there, and that Will will be able to keep the character still eye-catching and heart-winning as he has in VDT.

Well, it's encouraging to know that Will "relishes" the prospect of playing Eustace again in my interview with him.
http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/11/the-ice-palace-opening-ceremony-our-exclusive-report/#comments
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Josh » Nov 15, 2010 8:52 pm

I find it interesting that some think his role in VotDT needs more importance. I always felt he was the stand out character in VotDT and that he was given less to do in the Silver Chair.

I always felt that Jill was the main character in the Silver Chair since we always follow what she is doing and she is the one that keeps seeing Aslan. She also is the character who is introduced first in the book. She's the one who hears about the signs (while Eustace is elsewhere), she's the one whom we follow around in Harfang (we get to see her meet Aslan at the window in Harfang and see the "Under ME" inscription, where we never get to see what goes on with Eustace and Puddleglum). And she went through a character arc in the book, unlike Eustace who was pretty much the same as he was by the end of VotDT. Eustace's only real purpose in the SC was to introduce Jill to Narnia, provide a farmiliar face, and provide a gender balance.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 15, 2010 10:10 pm

Josh, I think you are right about Jill from the book's perspective. But as we know with the movies, changes can and will happen.

And one of those changes might just be an expansion of Eustace's character. We'll have to wait and see. :)
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby eustacegirl » Nov 16, 2010 9:21 am

I really would like an expansion of Eustace's character in SC. I wanna see how he's changed and see him growing as a better person.
eustacegirl
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby PeterCharn » Nov 18, 2010 9:33 am

GlimGlum wrote:
After meeting him in person Friday at the Beverly Center, I think he will be able to do that. He has obviously grown physically and is very mature for his age. But I also saw in him the kind of "presence" about him that should come across on the big screen. The kind if presence that would enable him to carry a movie in a leading role.

Well this is great news. I think a first hand meeting someone says a lot more than my random speculations! :)

I am glad that you have confidence in him and his abilities to lead the (potentially) next movie.

Someone else mention that Jill was more of a main character in SC, I think that this is true, but not quite to the extent that it was stated. Eustance provides a balance between for her inexperience and struggles. She is the newer character and has more to learn in her journey to Narnai than he does. I need to reread the book before I can give any further examples, despite it being my second favourite of the series, I haven't read it in about three or four years.

On a separate note, I think that there is a cool contrast between the Pevensies returning to Narnia in PC and VDT and Eustace's returning to Nanria in the SC. The Pevensies were hailed as former Kings and Queens while Eustace returns and he is just a regular person and he has to go on a grueling mission accross cold and harsh conditions (making his last visit seem like a holiday).
PeterCharn
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby LessThanGold » Nov 19, 2010 11:03 am

To myself, in the beginning of SC, Eustace did seem much nicer than in VDT and considerably more patient and kind. On the other hand, he also seemed pompous at times. Towards the end of the book he apologized to Jill for his rudeness.

So I would not say Eustace is just a regular character there for balance. He learns some new lessons in SC.
LessThanGold
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stateofgreen » Nov 24, 2010 9:02 pm

GlimGlum wrote:
PeterCharn wrote:I think that Will Poulter was a good casting choice for Eustace in VDT.....but I have been thinking about the SIlver Chair a lot lately and I am starting to doubt whether or not he will be able to carry a movie as a lead role.

Shastafan wrote:But since it's nearly a two hour movie they'll hopefully be making, and since Will is marvelous, I'm positive they'll be able to give Eustace more reason to be there, and that Will will be able to keep the character still eye-catching and heart-winning as he has in VDT.

Well, it's encouraging to know that Will "relishes" the prospect of playing Eustace again in my interview with him.
http://www.narniaweb.com/2010/11/the-ice-palace-opening-ceremony-our-exclusive-report/#comments

Agree with all of these comments, when watching the video of the interviews I think he really has screen presence too, he made a good impression upon me. :) I'm looking forward to VDT and SC. Hope they can cast a good enough Jill for SC.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Nov 28, 2010 11:54 pm

In the beginning I was afraid Eustace wouldn't get enough attention in the film. Now it's starting to look like Eustace and Will will be the highest point of the film! I'm so glad! He's one of my favorite characters, and also a great actor! :)

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby stateofgreen » Nov 30, 2010 11:23 pm

Was relooking at some of Will's pics from today's premiere and he looked slightly nervous (completely understandable with such a huge crowd and the Queen).

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 06, 2010 2:59 pm

I love how they are paving the way for SC and Eustace's change in life!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Valiant » Dec 06, 2010 3:13 pm

I would actually prefer that they don't try to expand on Eustace in SC. While I too would like to see him grow and mature, previous attempts to flesh out characters, I feel, have not been executed well. My main example would be Peter whose "character development" (in my opinion) was a hinderance.

If they could chose a good arc for Eustace, write it well, and make sure it does not affect any other charcter arcs and main themes, then I would be very happy. But to be honest, I am not confident enough in them to do this. I'd rather they not take the risk. :-s

Whatever they do, I am confident that the acting on the part of Will Poulter will be fabulous! :)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I agree Valiant. He's expanded fairly well in SC. There is really no need to add anything to the SC Eustace. If they could only be faithful to the source material and get more of the original dialogue and crucial book scenes in as they did with the BBC production I'd be happy.

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy of Narnia » Dec 07, 2010 3:37 pm

One question: In the trailer where he says "Where am I?" then faints, it seemed kind of corny...is that the only part? (I hope)
Avy by me, siggy by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
You suck a lollipop, and you sing a song. Get it right, Jo!
Lucy of Narnia
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext