This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Letter for the King, Netflix's new YA medieval series

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

The Letter for the King, Netflix's new YA medieval series

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 27, 2020 11:41 am

Yesterday I saw the trailer for Netflix's upcoming YA series The Letter for the King, and I definitely got some Walden-era Narnia vibes, especially if they had gotten around to adapting The Horse and His Boy. (Given that filming took place in Prague and New Zealand, this probably shouldn't be a surprise.)

The project was announced in July of 2018, with casting announced in December of that year. The original series is based off the classic Dutch novel De brief voor de koning. The series will be released on March 20th and will span six episodes.

A couple thoughts crossed my mind as a result of seeing the trailer:

1. I think the quality of the series looks good. I don't know what the budget was for it, but given that The Letter for the King has little name recognition outside of the Netherlands (at least, I had never heard of it before), I think it's safe to expect that Narnia will be substantially better.

2. Perhaps I'm overly optimistic, but I would be surprised if Netflix tried to turn Narnia into "Game of Thrones for kids" after seeing this. They will want Narnia to seem like something different than this property; if they play up the battles and grit and darkness, you'll just being seeing a lot of the same on their platform and they need variety to attract subscribers. So I continue to be cautiously hopeful that the whimsy and wonder will be central in their adaptation.

Any thoughts? How would you feel if this was a trailer for a Narnia adaptation, in terms of vibe/aesthetics?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: The Letter for the King, Netflix's new YA medieval series

Postby PuddleCheep » Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm

Wow! That looked pretty intriguing. I could definitely see some HHB vibes in it. It seemed to get dark without going too dark. The skull among the candles could be pretty chilling. The birds forming a face is the kind of special effect that I could see happening in Narnia. Similar to the leaves or flower petals forming the dryads from the Walden movies.

Going by pure aesthetic and not by script, if Netflix makes Narnia looks this good, I think this could be really great!
PuddleCheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Glenwit » Mar 25, 2020 12:35 pm

This does look intriguing! I've never heard of the books before I saw this...I might need to pick it up.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:
I think the quality of the series looks good. I don't know what the budget was for it, but given that The Letter for the King has little name recognition outside of the Netherlands (at least, I had never heard of it before), I think it's safe to expect that Narnia will be substantially better.

Agreed - the visuals are surprisingly impressive. Well, if the Narnia series has a higher budget than THIS, it will look absolutely stunning and I'm here for it.
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
Everything is beautiful now
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Everything is beautiful now
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Postby Impending Doom » Apr 07, 2020 11:39 am

I finally watched The Letter to The King this past week! Let's just say that the trailer was more enjoyable than the series itself. Most of its characters are unlikeable and the show either moves too fast or too slow. Locations, sets, and costumes are all quite good though.

But the one thing that concerns me about Netflix productions is regarding their CGI. The Letter to The King, even with its minimum special effects shots, looked very out-of-place.

I haven't seen Netflix shows do convincing computer-generated animals yet - at least nowhere near the level of Walden's adaptations. Even The Witcher's creatures lacked believability. Does anyone have an example of a Netflix original with really solid special effects?
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut