This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Eruption on 'Dragon Island' location

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Eruption on 'Dragon Island' location

Postby coracle » Dec 08, 2019 10:41 pm

This small island off the coast of New Zealand was the location for Dragon Island in the movie of Voyage of the Dawn Treader; I've lived in NZ most of my life, and this is the first time I've ever heard of death/injury there.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118058738/live-white-island-erupts

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118062136/why-were-people-on-white-island-volcano-when-it-erupted
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Re: Eruption on 'Dragon Island' location

Postby coracle » Dec 09, 2019 11:40 am

Sadly it's worse news to wake up to this morning in New Zealand.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118058 ... and-erupts
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Courtenay » Dec 09, 2019 12:20 pm

It's horrible, Coracle. My prayers are with all those affected, especially those who've lost loved ones.

Did they have any warning, by the way, that an eruption was imminent? I must admit I don't know much about active volcanoes, coming from a country that doesn't have any.
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby JFG II » Dec 10, 2019 2:32 pm

To think that this recent disaster - which took multiple lives - occurs in a spot that was a tourist destination, a spot that was once peacefully used as a major location in the 3rd Narnia film (released 9 years ago to the day), makes me sad. I’m glad many are praying for the people caught in this tragedy. My thoughts are with them.
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Cleander » Dec 10, 2019 3:36 pm

So it really was volcanic like they said in the movie? That's a horrible way to find out! Praying for the recovery of the injured and the comfort of the bereaved.
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » Dec 10, 2019 3:50 pm

The island is just offshore from a big area called the Volcanic Plateau, containing three large dormant volcanoes, hot springs/geysers, etc.

Eight people have not been recovered, but the rescuers have been praised for their courage in dangerous situation.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 11, 2019 3:02 am

There have been further developments since then, but there are still people to be found & the danger of another eruption increases. When looking at news footage I found myself wondering why the landscape looked so familiar, then looking at this thread, the penny dropped. I remember from the VDT film the beach where the Dawn Treader crew camped for the night, then the pathway leading away from the beach which Eustace took, then the whole layout of that island. A decade ago it was quite safe to film there.

Further news, those injured Australians who are able to be transferred are being flown back home to free up New Zealand resources. There are still 3 Australians missing.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby coracle » Dec 12, 2019 11:45 am

There are recovery efforts this morning to find and bring back the remaining 8 bodies. At the same time, there is a risk of further eruption.

Local Maori elders have imposed a "rahui", on the whole area until all the bodies are recovered.
It was a prohibition that protected the area from spiritual impediments and prohibits acts in the area such as fishing, gathering seafood, swimming and boating in the area.

The article that came from also tells the legend of the origin of the island.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/118161134/ensuring-rhui-is-honoured-a-huge-task-for-cultural-advisor

UPDATE: Six bodies have been airlifted off the island, and the other two have not been found.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Glenwit » Dec 14, 2019 11:52 am

This is a bit late, but I'm really sorry to hear about what has happened!

My thoughts/prayers will be with everyone affected as well as Australia/New Zealand as a whole.
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
Everything is beautiful now
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Everything is beautiful now
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Postby mm1991 » Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

Thoughts and prayers to all involved! So sad!
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Dec 14, 2019 8:28 pm

The number of deaths has gone up to 16. There were 47 people on the island, and many had serious burns.

coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Dec 15, 2019 5:58 pm

As per this morning's news there are still two people missing, but one was said to be in the water around the island. The New Zealand Army has gone to some trouble to rescue everyone & to find the last six bodies. One of the two missing people is said to be Australian. This morning the Ovation of the Seas, the cruise ship concerned, was docked at Circular Quay in Sydney Harbour, still very murky from the bushfires from the Mount Tomah area in the Candlewick Mountains. Yes, it is most regrettable that this terrible incident happened, & my deepest sympathies to the families of those killed, as well as those injured.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot