This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Emperor-Over-The-Sea

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: The Emperor-Over-The-Sea

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 13, 2019 9:14 am

Even more so than The Last Battle, I think the lack of references is most noticeable in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I know that if I were sailing east in that world, thoughts of the Emperor-Beyond-the-Sea would occur pretty often. "Will we meet him? Are we going to the Empire-Beyond-the-Sea?" So I would definitely expect more references to the Emperor in any adaptation of VDT that seeks to flesh out the story.

Did the Walden Trilogy ever refer to the Emperor? I can't recall any mention of him.

coracle wrote:That last point is interesting; in the Bible God forbids his people to make images of him, but artists post-Renaissance chose to depict him. This is a whole new subject, and I am not qualified to talk about Art History. But if God (who is not physical) was made man only in Jesus Christ, would it not be wrong to present the Emperor as a human, a lion, or any other creature?
The creator is always distinct from Creation, in both the Old and New Testaments. To this day practising Jewish people don't like images of creatures as decorations.

That's a really good point. Even aside from the theological tensions, I think there's definitely an argument to be made that any visual depiction could detract from the mystery. That said, you could still indirectly reference the Emperor in art, or obscure the form of the Emperor in some way. When doing a little googling on the subject, I found that the Hand of God appears in Jewish art as early as the third century; I can imagine a depiction of a hand (or golden paw) holding the scepter that Jadis references in LWW.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Col Klink » Mar 13, 2019 10:34 am

I think the idea of including visual representations of the emperor in the background is an interesting idea. But I really don't want them to go overboard expanding on this character. It seems like a lot of Narniawebbers want the new series to give Narnia a big complicated mythology. Fantasy franchises like that give me headaches eventually. :))
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Mar 13, 2019 2:13 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I can imagine a depiction of a hand (or golden paw) holding the scepter that Jadis references in LWW.

I like the idea of a mysterious hand-paw holding a sceptre. :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Previous