This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Lamp post

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

The Lamp post

Postby fantasia » Feb 13, 2019 7:29 pm

Before the Walden movies came out, someone (not me) made the genius suggestion of having the lamppost show roots... and then they did! :D (I always wondered if whoever designed the lamp saw the idea on our forums ;)) )

I'd like to see something new and unique for the new Netflix series. My idea was to have some kind of hanging lamp from the lamppost. Almost like the way fruit hangs from a tree. This isn't the best example (ignore the base entirely) as it's awfully simple, but you can get the idea.

https://www.target.com/p/pure-garden-so ... A-51761456

What do you all think?
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Re: The Lamp post

Postby Col Klink » Feb 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Wow, that's a really cool idea, Fantasia. It's different from how the lamppost has been previously depicted but it makes sense. I could definitely get behind it.
For better or worse-for who knows what may unfold from a chrysalis?-hope was left behind.
-The God Beneath the Sea by Leon Garfield & Edward Blishen
Col Klink
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Ooh, it hadn't occurred to me that Netflix might do something different with the lamp-post! I like your idea, fantasia, although I do hope that whatever they end up with only has subtle tree-like details and still looks like something that came from of Victorian London.

The lamps on each end of this image also might offer inspiration, or maybe the second one from the left if you remove the lower lamp.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Reepicheep775 » Feb 14, 2019 10:25 am

I think I would prefer it if the lamp-post design sticks close to the Pauline Bayne's illustration because of how iconic it is. I liked the roots in the Walden LWW because they were subtle. If there are innovations in the lamp-post design, I'd rather it doesn't change the basic shape.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Cleander » Feb 14, 2019 10:39 am

Oh, I like that first one, Rose. It's a nice combination of the classic look with the fruit idea.
The Walden Lamppost was actually made using a cast of an original London Victorian Lamppost. I've always favored this look, considering the origins of the lamppost.
One good design that I've seen is the lampposts lining the Battery in Charleston, SC. They look like something made for a fantasy, with spikey little crowns at the top and eight-sided lamps. Here's a picture:
http://hueandeyephotography.tumblr.com/ ... on-sc-doug
For some reason a brass color and finish just wouldn't look right to me. I thought the BBC lamppost wasn't all that great for this reason. Not sure why it bothers me... maybe the brightness of the metal distracts the eye from the light at the top?
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Cleander wrote:The Walden Lamppost was actually made using a cast of an original London Victorian Lamppost. I've always favored this look, considering the origins of the lamppost.

I don't think I knew that bit of trivia! One thing I do really want is for the look to be based on a real lamp-post from Victorian England. A (mostly) ordinary lamp-post from our world standing mysteriously in a wood full of talking beasts and fauns and nymphs is one of those anachronisms that makes Narnia, well, Narnia. I wouldn't want it to look like a fantasy art piece; the magic is in the whole picture, not the lamp alone.

Cleander wrote:One good design that I've seen is the lampposts lining the Battery in Charleston, SC. They look like something made for a fantasy, with spikey little crowns at the top and eight-sided lamps. Here's a picture:
http://hueandeyephotography.tumblr.com/ ... on-sc-doug

What about a seven-sided lamp, for the seven Chronicles?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Cleander » Feb 15, 2019 3:12 pm

What about a seven-sided lamp, for the seven Chronicles?

Oh, that could work!
I was just thinking- how would it be if Narnians of old had made carvings on the Lamppost? A lion motif comes readily to mind...
Another (probably bad) idea- what if they had replaced the old glass with panes of stained-glass? (With pictures of Lions on them? :D )
PM me to join the Search for the Seven Swords!
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Find it on the Talk About Narnia Forum!
signature by aileth
Cleander
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Narnian78 » Mar 28, 2019 5:43 am

The artwork of the movie of The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe just shows the lamppost standing in the snow. I guess it should have roots since it came from an iron bar in the creation scene of The Magician's Nephew. I guess almost everything in Narnia was created by Aslan from something else. But probably the artists/illustrators didn't think about that. It still looks like a manmade object. :)
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SirVincentofNarnia » Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

From my understanding, the original lamppost that ended up in Narnia was a Victorian one, if I'm not mistaken. The lamppost is a very iconic representation of Narnia. Now the Walden movie lamppost did look a bit out of place, but considering the movie was made in 2005, I think I will give it a pass :)
Let us go on and take the adventure that shall fall to us
-Queen Susan
The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

People are quick to judge but slow to correct themselves
-Ezio Auditore, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
SirVincentofNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby fledge1 » Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm

I hope they do have the roots as well showing that it is growing, and I hope throughout the series or new movies they they show the age of it as it goes on. I really like the idea of making it look like it does come directly out of London as well. I need to incorporate the lamp post into my tattoo, and now have no idea what type to use. Need to figure that out so I can finally finish this thing.
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnian78 » Apr 17, 2020 4:05 am

There used to be a lamppost at the house where I grew up. As a child I thought it was something like a Narnian lamppost, although it was somewhat ordinary with an electric light. It’s strange how certain things from your childhood can often seem almost magical when you are an adult. :)
Narnian78
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Apr 17, 2020 11:08 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote: I don't think I knew that bit of trivia! One thing I do really want is for the look to be based on a real lamp-post from Victorian England. A (mostly) ordinary lamp-post from our world standing mysteriously in a wood full of talking beasts and fauns and nymphs is one of those anachronisms that makes Narnia, well, Narnia. I wouldn't want it to look like a fantasy art piece; the magic is in the whole picture, not the lamp alone.

Very much my view. I want to see the late Victorian street-lamps (that were still around in the Edwardian era) reproduced faithfully. It's an iconic thing from the book.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie