This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How do YOU think Netflix will order the Narnia stories?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: How do YOU think Netflix will order the Narnia stories?

Postby JFG II » Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

'The Chronicles of Narnia' (TV Series & Films 2020-2030)
How I hoped it would go - but does not have any chance of being so:

(2020) - Feature Film: 'The Magician's Nephew'
(2021) -- Netflix-Only: 'MN: The Extended Version'
(2022) ---- TV Series: 'NARNIA: Season 1 - The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'
(2023) - Feature Film: 'The Horse and His Boy'
(2024) ---- TV Series: 'NARNIA: Season 2 - Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia'
(2025) -- Netflix-Only: 'HHB: The Extended Version'
(2026) ---- TV Series: 'NARNIA: Season 3 - The Voyage of the Dawn Treader'
(2027) - Feature Film: 'The Silver Chair'
(2028) -- Netflix-Only: 'SC: The Extended Version'
(2029) - Feature Film: 'The Last Battle'
(2030) -- Netflix-Only: 'LB: The Extended Version'

This is my FORTH corny idea in 11 months, and I knlow this is NOT how Narnia will be adapted. I just thought that with 3 movies out already (LWW, PC & VDT, it would be cool to make movies out of the other 4 books (MN, HHB, SC & LB), with a 3-season limited-series arc for the LWW, PC & VDT Pevensie stories. Episodic stand-alone episodes that expand upon the books would be awsome as well, and those episodes could be seen as Narnia: The Expanded Series, or something corny like that. Hope you all are having a good new year so far.
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Jan 20, 2020 7:33 am

LWW (2005) is popular enough to where Netflix is setting themselves up to be compared to the Disney LWW if they decided to film LWW first. This is a bad idea. LWW Disney was a lavish $175+ million production, and unless Netflix plans to spend that much on LWW also (I seriously doubt it), it is a better idea to film MN first.

This also means that MN has to be a quality production, from which they can build on for LWW.

Netflix can continue the “fresh” approach by not including the Pevensies returning to England in the end of LWW, and just adding that scene to the end of HHB (which they could film as their third film).
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JFG II » Jan 21, 2020 2:42 pm

CorazonBandido55 wrote:Netflix can continue the “fresh” approach by not including the Pevensies returning to England in the end of LWW, and just adding that scene to the end of HHB (which they could film as their third film).

I think that’s a cool idea, especially if Narnia is adapted literally in a chronological manner. If only episodic season adaptations are made (and no movies), I could see a long-form series where each season represents an era in Narnia history.

Season 1: Early Age (Magician’s Nephew)
Season 2: Golden Age (Wardrobe & Horse)
Season 3: Bronze Age (Prince, Dawn & Silver)
Season 4: Final Age (Last Battle)

The first and forth would be much shorter than the second and third, which would be much longer. Another idea is less than a year. ;)
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby decarus » Jan 23, 2020 7:11 am

Impending Doom wrote:They wouldn't be leaving it behind though. Just not making it first. Netflix needs to be confident enough in the series to film MN first. BBC and Walden both failed to get the entire series made starting with LWW. Why repeat the same mistake over again?

MN has iconic moments. The destruction of Charn, visiting the Wood Between the Worlds, witnessing the creation of Narnia, and Fledge carrying the children to the Garden. I get chills thinking about the potential of a live-action version of MN.

I love MN, don't get me wrong, but i do think its greatness is in learning the beginning of Narnia and that is only great when you already love Narnia. No matter what they do, i am going to watch it. I just don't really think that MN has a solid plot arc. I think that doing MN first just feels like they are doing it out of fear that they won't get to do the whole series because they are just trying to do something new and not actually thinking about the big arc of the series. MN and LB just go together for me because it is reintroducing Digory for his place in LB and seeing the creation and then destruction of Narnia.

All of this is probably moot though with the talk of just using the characters to make up their own stories. Also, i don't get how they do some of the books as movies and some as series. Just so far, nothing they have said suggests that they care about keeping the stories true to the books, so they might do MN first. It just changes everything about LWW and changes the arc of the series, in my opinion.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 23, 2020 4:01 pm

decarus wrote:I love MN, don't get me wrong, but i do think its greatness is in learning the beginning of Narnia and that is only great when you already love Narnia. No matter what they do, i am going to watch it. I just don't really think that MN has a solid plot arc. I think that doing MN first just feels like they are doing it out of fear that they won't get to do the whole series because they are just trying to do something new and not actually thinking about the big arc of the series.

To many, Netflix starting with MN wouldn't be a new or unusual idea. It's just how it is. MN has been listed first in the series since 1994. Over 25 years ago. Millions of readers have encountered Narnia beginning with MN. I can understand why fans have a preference for publication order (I do as well) but LWW isn't spoiled or ruined as a second story.

Also; I see no big arc to the series. If anything, MN provides more of an arc. Narnia (our main character) from creation to its destruction. Could you expand on what you mean?

At the end of the day, I want 7 faithful adaptations of The Chronicles of Narnia. Starting with MN or LWW doesn't drastically change the series either way. I just think we have a better chance of actually getting all 7 if Netflix begins with MN.

decarus wrote:All of this is probably moot though with the talk of just using the characters to make up their own stories.

I'm going to need a source for this claim. LOL
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glenwit » Jan 23, 2020 5:22 pm

decarus wrote:
All of this is probably moot though with the talk of just using the characters to make up their own stories.

WHAT!?!?

They'd better not. I will sue.
Love can save a life, like music warms the night
Everything is beautiful now
So open up your eyes, fall into the light
Everything is beautiful now
Glenwit
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: In deep space - testing a shared universe portal hypothesis

Postby JFG II » Jan 23, 2020 5:36 pm

To be honest, the ONE TRUE REAL reason that I'm personally excited that 'The Chronicles of Narnia' might be adapted into chronological order (if that's how it goes) is because of the growing up of the child actors.

For example: in 'The Magician's Nephew', Digory & Polly are both around 12 years old. By establishing them as the first 2 main protagonists of this new take on Narnia, it makes the push to bring back those same 2 actors for 'The Last Battle' all the more thematically potent.

Especially if those 2 actors are around 20 by then - around the same age median as the Pevensie actors by that time (all 4 are between 15 and 25 yrs old in LB).

Same thing goes for Shasta/Aravis (both 13-15 yrs old in HHB; 20+ yrs old in LB).

It would also establish Jill & Eustace (12-17 yrs old in LB) as the 2 youngest cast members in the new Narnia series, something that I mightilly approve of! They need to be the young ones, while King Tirian (20-25 yrs old in LB) would be the oldest cast member by at least 1 year (One year older than the actors who play Digory, Peter, Shasta & and Caspian, that is). End of rant. ;)
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Impending Doom » Apr 07, 2020 11:14 am

Rogin wrote:The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Prince Caspian
The Voyage of The Dawn Treader

The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

The Horse and His Boy
Untitled Narnia Series

Not sure in what format they'll release them but I do think they'll have HHB last. It's a natural way to introduce more Narnia spinoffs with basically an official Narnia spinoff!

Phase 1
The Magician’s Nephew (series)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe (series)
The Horse and His Boy (film)

Phase 2
Prince Caspian (series)
Untitled Narnia Spinoff (film)
The Voyage of The Dawn Treader (series)

Phase 3
The Silver Chair (series)
Untitled Narnia Spinoff (film)
The Last Battle (series)

With this order, the spin-offs become more of an essential part to Netflix’s universe rather than being viewed as an attempt to prolong the series after the “real” stories have finished.

I envision that Netflix will break down its universe and group every 3 releases (which includes 2 series and a film) as a phase/age. I like the idea of adding a sense of progression to the series without needing to embed an overarching narrative. As we all know, keeping momentum has always been an issue with previous series.
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby TheLukeskywalker2 » May 22, 2020 1:20 pm

If this was suddenly thrust into my lap, this is the order they would be made in.

LWW
Start of the series and cornerstone of the rest of the series.

MN
Digory tells the story to the Pevensies after they leave the wardrobe the final time.

PC
Sequel to LWW, introduction to Caspain the Seafarer, King of Narnia for the next few series.

VDT
Follow up story to PC. Fate of Reepicheep the Mouse

SC
Jill and Eustace find the next Prince of Narnia as the aged king is about to die.

HHB
I put this here, since it is mentioned during the story of SC, and this way, the Pevensies are a bit older when this is recorded. (Still probably not old enough, but it will be closer than doing it immediately after).

LB
The series ends where it should end. The Last Battle and the death of Narnia.
TheLukeskywalker2
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby JFG II » May 23, 2020 10:00 am

TheLukeskywalker2 wrote:If this was suddenly thrust into my lap, this is the order they would be made in.

LWW
Start of the series and cornerstone of the rest of the series.

MN
Digory tells the story to the Pevensies after they leave the wardrobe the final time.

PC
Sequel to LWW, introduction to Caspain the Seafarer, King of Narnia for the next few series.

VDT
Follow up story to PC. Fate of Reepicheep the Mouse

SC
Jill and Eustace find the next Prince of Narnia as the aged king is about to die.

HHB
I put this here, since it is mentioned during the story of SC, and this way, the Pevensies are a bit older when this is recorded. (Still probably not old enough, but it will be closer than doing it immediately after).

LB
The series ends where it should end. The Last Battle and the death of Narnia.

I like this idea a lot. Putting Magician's Nephew after Wardrobe would keep it a prequel while leaving open where the series could go. Leaving Horse and His Boy second to last would, in theory, give the oppurtunity for the kid Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy to return 7-8 years older than in Wardrobe. Of course, that would change the Lewis-Narnia timeline so that instead of occuring at the end of the Golden Age, 14 years after Wardrobe, Horse would take place half-way through their reign as kings and queens. Cool!

Best-case release date...

'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' (2021): Peter (14), Susan (13), Edmund (11), Lucy (9)

'The Magician's Nephew' (2022): Digory & Polly (both 11)

'Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia' (2023): Caspian & Peter (both 16), Susan (15), Edmund (13), Lucy (11)

'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' (2025): Caspian (18), Edmund (15), Lucy (13), Eustace (11)

'The Silver Chair' (2026): Caspian (19), Eustace & Jill (both 12)

'The Horse and His Boy' (2028): Peter (21), Susan (20), Edmund (18), Lucy (16), Shasta & Aravis (both 13)

'The Last Battle' (2029): Tirian (23), Peter (22) Edmund (19), Lucy (17), Eustace & Jill (both 15)
JFG II
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 07, 2020 2:48 am

There are five different ways I could see them doing this more or less, depending on whether they are mostly films or mostly tv episodes.

1) Chronological - MN, LWW, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, LB

2) Publication - LWW, PC, VDT, SC, HHB, MN, LB

3) MN Flashback 1 - LWW, HHB, MN, PC, VDT, SC, LB

4) MN Flashback 2 - LWW, MN, HHB, PC, VDT, SC, LB

5) Simultaneous release of all seven stories without a specified order

With option 4 especially, but also potentially 1 and 3, the idea is that HHB and MN occur as episodes within the LWW story line, in an episodic tv serial. With HHB taking place in real time before the Pensevies leave Narnia (even starting simultaneously with the coronation if they show Cor being kidnapped), and MN being told as a flashback from the professor to the children or simply just remembering it either during the events of LWW (say after Peter and Susan come to him concerned about Lucy - this is 4) or after they return from Narnia at the end of LWW (this is 3). In option 1, if told entirely as a tv series, MN would stand on it's own instead of being a flashback within LWW and HHB would likely occur as it does chronologically, before the last chapter of LWW.

If they are in exclusively film format, or the majority of them are films, I think they are more likely to stick with either the original publication order (option 2) or the current listed order from Harper Collin's (option 1) ffor simplicity's sake. Option 5 is unlikely, I think, just due to the amount of time it would take to adapt all 7, but if it were to happen it would be most likely to happen in the scenario that each book was treated as a separate full length film (possibly merging a few books into a single film like PC/VDT).

Note I'm not saying 1 or 2 aren't possible if they do it as a fully episodic tv series, I'm just saying it opens more options. If they did.

Personally, I'm rooting for an entire TV series ordered mostly as option 3, with HHB told starting at the end of the Coronation scene in LWW (camera pans out over the sea from Cair Paravel to the ship chase or follows Aslan after leaving Cair Paravel to rescuing Shasta in the boat.) Then after the siblings return to Professor Kirke's House at the end of LWW he tell's them about his experiences with Narnia and this starts the MN storyline as a number of flashback episodes. I'd rather this way than Option 1/chronological order because it preserves the wonder and magic you experience reading LWW for the first time. It lets the audience wonder about why the lamppost is there for a bit before explaining it for instance, and we aren't tipped off on Jadis prematurely. At the same time I think it's easier to follow the storyline this way that if they were to do this as option 2/publication order because we aren't jumping back and forth as much in time or between characters. If they were to adapt them as full length films then I'd prefer options 2 or 5 equally, but I think it would work better as a series.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Previous