How NOT to do Jill meeting Aslan

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: daughter of the King, The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: How NOT to do Jill meeting Aslan

Postby Lilygloves » May 18, 2018 12:17 pm

I think they'll probably change Jill's reason for meeting Aslan. She has to talk to Aslan because she's dying of thirst and it doesn't occur to her to not believe the lion. A lot of her need to drink from this one stream comes from the narration and it might be awkward to translate on screen. I think if the movie expected the audience to believe a girl would walk past a lion just for a drink of water it wouldn't go well.
I can't think of another way to set up her meeting with Aslan but I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it. If they don't, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Anfinwen » Jun 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Lilygloves wrote:I think they'll probably change Jill's reason for meeting Aslan. She has to talk to Aslan because she's dying of thirst and it doesn't occur to her to not believe the lion. A lot of her need to drink from this one stream comes from the narration and it might be awkward to translate on screen

That actually makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of imagery and symbolism in water so I like it in the books, but I can see how it could be cumbersome and weird in the movie. I could easily see them just having Jill run back through the woods trying to get back to England and out of this nightmare. (Also good imagery, running from mistakes, responsibility etc. just the way she ran from bullies) I'd rather them change this than spend too much time on it and cut other things short.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia fan 7 » Jun 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Lilygloves wrote: I think if the movie expected the audience to believe a girl would walk past a lion just for a drink of water it wouldn't go well.

I don't really see how that would be pushing audience's suspension of disbelief. Jill is understandably terrified of Aslan and doesn't want to go near him, but is put in a position were she has no choice but to trust him. If they make her initial fear of Aslan believable I don't think audiences would really question it.
“I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia.”
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Previous