This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How to market The Silver Chair...

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: How to market The Silver Chair...

Postby Lady Galadriel » Dec 22, 2013 9:36 pm

I think they need to appeal the unique story elements of S.C., not as much as tying it in to the other previous movies. They need to show the plot of the story, just why it is something that the viewer needs to spend their money on. They need to try to set the story apart from the typical fantasy blockbuster of today, and I think part of the way to do this is if they don't over-capitalize on SC's link to the previous 3 Narnia movies. (In my opinion, this would mean NO shots of the White Witch tempting anyone, and likely no shots of the Pevensies either.)

Interestingly, the marketing for VDT attempted to evoke all sorts of LWW imagery -- "return to magic" and the like -- and it didn't appear to do anything too drastic for the studio's financial earnings. The studio needs to be creative in their marketing of SC, and this means capitalizing on the plot elements (a balance of character development, plot development, and action) of the story. I think it's likely best at this point if they try to evoke their own new, original imagery, instead of trying to reuse old stuff.

I wonder, are we certain they could not use Will Poulter even now, as long as they cast an actress for Jill who is similar to Will's age? (Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility/probability of a romance between the two characters -- but that is divulging into a completely different topic of discussion...)
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Impending Doom » Dec 27, 2013 6:27 pm

I wonder, are we certain they could not use Will Poulter even now, as long as they cast an actress for Jill who is similar to Will's age?

I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I don't think the studio should make it a priority to bring Will back. Have him try out for the part and If he's still the strongest candidate for Eustace, then bring him back. But If Will Poulter does end up reprising his role and think its a safe bet we'd see a ton of him in trailers. He has 4 movies coming out in 2014 alone and he's a fantastic actor to boot!

(Unfortunately, this opens up the possibility/probability of a romance between the two characters -- but that is divulging into a completely different topic of discussion...)

No. :|
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby twinimage » Dec 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Was listening to the FOTF Radio production of Silver Chair this evening and was trying to visualize how it may look on film. A cool thing to include in the trailer is start off with a fade in with a close up of Jill's face, looking peaceful and her hair moving in the wind. She opens her eyes and camera pans out to her flying through the air on Aslan's breath. That should catch people's attention, right? Imagine how that would look in 3D too! There should be plenty of opportunities to get some great visuals from this story to showcase in advertising.
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anhun » Jan 01, 2014 1:56 am

twinimage wrote:A cool thing to include in the trailer is start off with a fade in with a close up of Jill's face, looking peaceful and her hair moving in the wind. She opens her eyes and camera pans out to her flying through the air on Aslan's breath.

This gave me an idea. What if we use this thread to post scripts for our ideal SC trailers?

This is my suggestion:

It's a grey, crisp autumn day on the grounds of Experiment house. Eustace, in his Experiment house uniform, is walking, lost in thought, when he hears crying and he notices Jill.

Jill, red-eyed and slightly bruised, says "Don't you wish you were anywhere but here?"

Eustace says "Are you good at believing things?"

Brief shot of the two of them standing at the door with the sunlight of Aslan's Country washing over them.

Shot of Jill flying over Narnia with voiceover of Alsan saying "You would not have called me unless I had been calling you."

Voiceover of Puddleglum saying (shot of Puddleglum guiding Eustace and Jill across the marshes) "Well a job like this" (shot of Eustace and Jill walking through the blizzard) "a journey up north just at winter's beginning" (back shot of Rillian riding through the forest) "looking for a prince who probably isn't there" (shot of Jill working her way, frightened, through the letter labyrinth) "by way of ruined city that no one has ever seen" (shot of Puddleglum) "is just the thing."

Text: Based on the beloved children's novel by the author of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

Stirring music plays over a series of action shots: Dancing at Cair Paravel, Flying boulders, Children riding owls, floods encroaching on Underland, snow dance, eerie silver tendrils tightening around Rillian's arms as he sits in the silver chair.

Text: C.S. Lewis' The Silver Chair

Jill (PLATONICALLY) embraces Eustace saying "I'm sorry!"
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 01, 2014 7:55 am

Here's a thought I had for a tv spot

Outside of Puddleglum's wigwam discussing their journey. Jill says "Can you help us to find the lost Prince Rilian?"

Puddleglum replies "Well, I don't know that you'll call it help. It stands to reason we're not likely to get very far on a journey to the North, with the winter coming. (Pace starts to quicken, and music picks up) But on the bright side, what with enemies,(shot of giant tossing a rock) and mountains (shot of the troupe walking over a mountain) and rivers to cross, ( shot of the kids looking down the gorge) and losing our way (Shot of them in a blizzard), we'll hardly even notice the weather."

Music stops,and there is complete silence. Shot of Jill and Eustace looking shocked. Puddleglum smiles and winks at the children saying "But we can sure try"

Text:The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby twinimage » Jan 01, 2014 10:57 am

Those are very fun ideas, having Puddleglum describe the journey in his marshwiggle way and showing shots of the different parts of the adventure. Gives it a lighter, family movie feeling.
They'll want to show a shot of the climax with the snake. There will most likely be a shot of the snake lunging towards the camera is if to bite someone. I just know they will...
Don't forget a shot of Aslan roaring at the end. lol Maybe not, that would seem sort of cliche, we've seen him roar in all the other movie trailers.
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Anhun » Jan 01, 2014 2:02 pm

To my way of thinking, there are two key selling points for SC: one is the LOTR-style saga-adventure; one is the character and relationship development. My proposed theatrical trailer was an attempt to feature both, but in a TV spot, you would need to focus on one or the other.

I'm in raptures over Doom's idea for a TV spot because it showcases the adventure aspect perfectly, and even gives a hint of the character dynamics. Although, I would phrase Jill's question as "Can you help us find the vanished prince?" because, to me it seems more economical and more exciting. I can see what twin is saying about the "necessity" of including the snake, but I think it would be more intriguing to show a back shot of the Green Lady morphing into a snake. Please, for the love of the Emperor-over-the-Sea, no roaring lions!

Does anybody have any "brain waves" for a TV spot that highlights the character development? It's worth bearing in mind that Jill is a victim of bullying, a hot topic right now. Also, Jill and Eustace are a couple of awkward kids who keep messing things up, rather than classically perfect heroes.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby twinimage » Jan 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I agree, no roaring lion. And please no phrases like "the hope for all Narnia relies on you!" Not every blockbuster film has to have the entire world in danger and ONLY the protagonist(s) can save it. Who wants to go see that, we know they'll save the day in the end.
Just give people a good taste of what Puddleglum is like and how entertaining the character interactions will be like. Focus on the journey aspect and show some of the more fantastical elements, it should be enough to spark people's interest. I think it's difficult to show whether there will be good character development in a movie via a trailer. I think what sells more is if the actors can bring their character to life, bring something unique to the table and has charisma (i.e. Jack Sparrow, Tony Stark/Iron Man, Heath Ledger Joker). So it will be reeeeally important they get a good Puddleglum and advertise it with him in the ads.

I can see her morphing into a snake also being a big selling shot, then it goes to black and THEN a quick shot of the snake snapping at the camera. lol It sounds so predictable but I bet that's what they'll do.
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Impending Doom » Jan 03, 2014 12:07 pm

I hope there are more product tie-ins and corporate partnerships than Dawn Treader had. People need to know this movie is coming. In the weeks leading up to the release of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," images of the green Grinch appeared on packages of Oreos, boxes of Froot Loops, Heinz ketchup bottles and even cans of Sprite. Even the United States Postal Service got into the act, stamping letters with special "Happy Who-lidays!" messages. Deals with restaurants to promote films are quite common. Hobbit/Denny's, Catching Fire/Subway, and LWW/McDonald's just to name a few as well. I think they should have The Silver Chair McDonald's Happy Meals toys. Over a million Happy Meals are sold everyday around the globe and it would be a great way to get younger kids excited about the movie. Plus I wouldn't mind a cheap Puddleglum toy for my shelf... ;)
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby SilverSea » Jan 03, 2014 4:37 pm

Impending Doom wrote: I think they should have The Silver Chair McDonald's Happy Meals toys. Over a million Happy Meals are sold everyday around the globe and it would be a great way to get younger kids excited about the movie. Plus I wouldn't mind a cheap Puddleglum toy for my shelf... ;)

I don't think they have the budget to do that unless The Mark Gordon Company finds a strong distributor.
SilverSea
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Apr 01, 2014 1:57 pm

Advertising on Yahoo.com would be good. Also by encouraging Narniaweb to support them.
Did this to clarify myself.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ryadian » Apr 01, 2014 9:34 pm

twinimage wrote:I agree, no roaring lion. And please no phrases like "the hope for all Narnia relies on you!" Not every blockbuster film has to have the entire world in danger and ONLY the protagonist(s) can save it. Who wants to go see that, we know they'll save the day in the end.

Damon Lindelof, who worked on the screen play for Star Trek: Into Darkness and World War Z, put it this way:

Damon Lindelof wrote:Once you spend more than $100 million on a movie, you have to save the world.

Unfortunately, that's just what Hollywood expects. It's one of the many reasons why I'm really hoping that The Silver Chair won't be treated as a block buster. While they do technically save Narnia in TSC, it isn't done in the high action kind of way they've tried to turn the other movies into, and I'm really hoping for, as has been discussed in this thread, a movie much more driven by the characters and just the pure fantasy of this world. :) That has always mattered far more to me than the action in the Narnia books.

But, enough of my soapbox on that issue. :P As for marketing... I think Impending Doom's description of a TV spot is perfect. As has been stated, not only does it introduce the characters very well (especially Puddleglum!), using something that he absolutely would say, but it also is a great opportunity to showcase the kinds of things they'll actually run into! I just wish it would work for more than just short trailers. :P
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby PhelanVelvel » Apr 15, 2014 1:17 am

Impending Doom wrote:Here's a thought I had for a tv spot

Outside of Puddleglum's wigwam discussing their journey. Jill says "Can you help us to find the lost Prince Rilian?"

Puddleglum replies "Well, I don't know that you'll call it help. It stands to reason we're not likely to get very far on a journey to the North, with the winter coming. (Pace starts to quicken, and music picks up) But on the bright side, what with enemies,(shot of giant tossing a rock) and mountains (shot of the troupe walking over a mountain) and rivers to cross, ( shot of the kids looking down the gorge) and losing our way (Shot of them in a blizzard), we'll hardly even notice the weather."

Music stops,and there is complete silence. Shot of Jill and Eustace looking shocked. Puddleglum smiles and winks at the children saying "But we can sure try"

Text:The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair

I quite like this idea. It strikes me as both adventurous and comical at the same time. Not necessarily in a way to undermine the dangers ahead of them, but a way of introducing the Puddleglum character and building up some anticipation. It definitely made me smile!
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 29, 2014 12:43 am

Lets see a few things that I can think about them doing the marketing is while they are filming they should release a behind the scenes footage like they did when they were still filming PC and have it play before the trailers and movies on theater screens. When the trailer comes out don't add any cliches and childish stuff, show the trailer with a story just like the LWW trailer. Basically do all of the marketing like LWW and people will see it.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Rilian » Jun 03, 2014 10:50 pm

I agree that they need to pull pages out of the LWW's marketing book. The world wasn't expecting a Narnia film, so they flooded the market with advertising. No one is expecting a fourth, and they need to do the same thing.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

http://twitter.com/prince_rilian
Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Sep 24, 2014 2:21 pm

I am at a bit of a loss to decide where to put this admittedly very minor snippet of news. So far, Silver Chair has been in the scripting stage, with a competition recently staged to give LOTGK a name rather than the acronym she is usually identified as. I have been keeping a weather eye from time to time on the IMDb database and now find there has been movement of a centimetre there at long last.

As from 15th September, that is to say, ten days ago, the IMDb Silver Chair board has been updated for a 2016 opening, and also to allow for future updating, as film production gets underway. Also, the [url]IMDb Magician's Nephew[/url] has been similarly updated, to remove any particular date for its release. Both boards are also linked with each other. Meanwhile, is it time yet for someone to include a synopsis of what the story is about? Or should we wait a bit longer?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

PreviousNext