This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Character Driven or Plot Driven?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Character Driven or Plot Driven?

Postby PhelanVelvel » Sep 17, 2015 12:38 am

I tend to write character-driven stories myself, and I think I've always been subconsciously drawn to character-driven stories. When a story sacrifices its characters left and right, it doesn't really matter to me how compelling or grandiose the plot is, I usually lose interest. I tend to latch onto characters and want to experience their growth.

You said it very well, Anfinwen. The Silver Chair has such rich atmosphere and emotion, I always find it so hard to believe that it's a mere 300 or so pages.

Narnian_Badger wrote:Their heart was made of a girl and a fawn, a prince and a dwarf, a boy and a mouse, a marshwiggle and a school girl, a Lion and his children.

Got chills at that one! It's so very true. I love a story where you can almost lose sight of the ultimate goal for the moment and get lost in the characters. After all, that's what real life is like. You have goals and dreams, but the here and now is what holds the bulk of your attention.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Character Driven or Plot Driven?

Postby jayce76 » Sep 21, 2015 2:07 pm

I think it just depends on the material. But usually the goal is to always have some sort of balance. Like the recent big screen, Indie-film, "Maggie" was almost completely a character-piece movie with very little time for anything else. Frankly, I thought it was a somewhat well-crafted, big-time snoozer with not much point. But I'm a smuck who likes scifi and action films, so what do I know.

-------------------------------------------------
I'm on Google! https://plus.google.com/111116349396920152635/posts
jayce76
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous