This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Silver Chair Being Made By Mark Gordon Company

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Silver Chair Being Made By Mark Gordon Company

Postby King Tirian » Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm

I will admit that I am feeling apprehensive about this but at the same time glad about another anticipation for a new Narnia movie. The last film just really made me want to drop liking the series all together however I really couldn't after all since my best friend always brings up the subject of Narnia over and over again and told me about this yesterday.
King Tirian
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: Having a nice archery practice with DamselJillPole!

Postby Rilian » Oct 04, 2013 1:24 am

Skilletdude wrote:I'm curious if this film is still legally bound to a 2018 release. If so, why would they announce it as early as 2013? Seems premature from a media standpoint. No casual fans are going to have any anticipation for the film with such a long wait. Walden's restructuring must have something to do with this. I'm thinking a late 2016 release would make more sense given the announcement, but that's just guesswork.

Well, the 2018 date is a guess on when the moratorium would expire. In theory, the film could start pre-production, film and conclude post all legally and could then release the film after the expiration date. I don't think they'd have to wait for all that before they start work on it.

thephfactor1 wrote:All that to say: I don't really mind having characters and such a bit different from the book. Honestly, I'll be able to relate much better to an older character, so I have a selfish reason for wanting an older Jill and Eustace. ( And if you don't think people older than 15 get bullied, I don't even know what ) I would be fine, I guess, with a 12 year old Jill and Eustace, as long as they didn't try to make the plot, story, and themes of the book more "kid-friendly" as a result. ( i.e., dumb a la VDT ) But I think the reality is that they're going to make a decision on who the primary audience is, and hopefully they choose adults, because that's in my opinion the best chance for a proper The Silver Chair movie.

I actually believe with good actors and good writing, we should be able to relate to children as well as adults, if not more so. Looking back on the first two films, or even considering other fantasy featuring children, my ability to relate and identify with them did not depend on their ages but rather the quality of storytelling. I hope they keep them around the ages in the book.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

http://twitter.com/prince_rilian
Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Eustace » Oct 04, 2013 2:07 pm

I am excited about news, but, I am unsure of what to think really. This could be really awesome. But, it could be even worse than Dawn Treader. I love the fact that it will have a smaller budget because maybe they won't feel any need to put in epic battles that could cause them to use up their budget. If they can instead focus their budget on the main story and making sure they get across the main points and themes, I would be very happy. I don't need a huge budget to be happy, I just want a good adaptation of this book. :) :D
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby AJAiken » Oct 05, 2013 8:01 am

A couple of weeks ago my parents contacted me after they'd shown the Narnia films to a young friend of ours. He loved the movies, and was desperate to know if there were going to be any more. I tried to explain the situation, saying it was likely there wouldn't be any more films for a long time.

When I read this yesterday ... wow. I thought I was jaded after VDT, but it turns out I'm still pretty fangirly. Maybe I just needed the break!

Rilian wrote:
Skilletdude wrote:I'm curious if this film is still legally bound to a 2018 release. If so, why would they announce it as early as 2013? Seems premature from a media standpoint. No casual fans are going to have any anticipation for the film with such a long wait. Walden's restructuring must have something to do with this. I'm thinking a late 2016 release would make more sense given the announcement, but that's just guesswork.

Well, the 2018 date is a guess on when the moratorium would expire. In theory, the film could start pre-production, film and conclude post all legally and could then release the film after the expiration date. I don't think they'd have to wait for all that before they start work on it.

I was wondering about this as well. Could a film really be made without legal contracts to protect the two parties in order to get around the moratorium? I wonder what the actual situation is; it would be interesting to know.
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 05, 2013 9:51 am

I don't know what the moratorium includes, but my guess is just that they can't release a movie before the time is up. They can sign contracts and make movies as much as they want. They just can't release them. That's my guess. Any lawyers on the forum?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 05, 2013 10:45 am

WOW, This came out of nowhere...
My gut is telling me that we will be seeing The Silver Chair before 2018. There is just something off with announcing it this early. Anyways this will be my first time anticipating a Narnia movie so I'm really excited for what the future of the franchise will hold! :)
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Rilian The Disenchanted » Oct 05, 2013 10:59 am

Maybe they made a deal with Walden Media. So they can release it sooner and Walden media gets a piece of the profit. Anyway i think more announcements are not far away.
Rilian The Disenchanted
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby twinimage » Oct 05, 2013 7:42 pm

Really looking forward to seeing how this all turns out. A lot of potential to go wrong, and a lot of potential to go very right. :)

I hope they recreate the classic images of Puddleglum from the book illustrations when they first introduce him. The one of him in the dark with the lantern could be when the children are being carried to him, they could make that image kind of blurry and then that next morning you see the back of him, sitting and fishing. Then you finally see his face and body up close as the big reveal. Would be a perfect introduction to a marshwiggle.

I ponder on how they plan to make this story more cinematic. I can see them having some fun at the giants' place, and if they did it in 3D... They could have Eustace and Jill and Puddleglum climbing and interacting with really large objects, like in the kitchen/cookbook scene.

Not sure how they're going to handle the green witch turning into a snake. I can see them possibly deviating from that a bit, or at least making the room and size of the snake larger so all the main characters will be in danger. I wonder if they will have Prince Rilian released from the Silver Chair before the witch is defeated? Sounds like something Hollywood would easily switch around and mess up. I wonder how they'll handle the escape from Underland too.

There's also the scene with father time sleeping with the dragons and what not. Wonder if they'll include that.

Here's to the next how ever many years of speculation!

- Twinimage
twinimage
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Linden » Oct 05, 2013 8:16 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:But a Narnia film is a Narnia film. I will go see it. And I can't deny that I am feeling like a twelve-year-old girl again, dreaming of Narnia. :ymblushing:

Am I the only one thinking of directors and cast and costumes and sets already? It's going to be like old times again... *jumping up and down*

My reaction exactly! I thought I would be pretty unimpressed when the next movie was announced, but I absolutely lost it the other night when I found out. It was like being 12 again, when my whole life revolved around waiting for LWW. I nearly cried. So of course I had to head back to my old hangout. I've missed NarniaWeb. :)

The excitement and news and discussion and everything that goes with a new Narnia movie....it's going to be fun. :D
Linden
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby PhelanVelvel » Oct 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:Anyone worrying about children fighting in battles translating to screen needn't be concerned about SC, as there are no battles except the fight with the LotGK at the end. This is assuming they stick with the book.

Well, it's not about that for me, like thephfactor1 said, I just relate better to older characters. I don't care if kids fight in battles, it's fiction. I just like the idea of them being teens better.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm

Impending Doom wrote:WOW, This came out of nowhere...
My gut is telling me that we will be seeing The Silver Chair before 2018. There is just something off with announcing it this early. Anyways this will be my first time anticipating a Narnia movie so I'm really excited for what the future of the franchise will hold! :)

Before this announcement, we knew there was a seven-year moratorium between movie releases - in other words, there has to be seven years since the previous one was released. This would take it to December 2017. The choosing of the production company, discussion of all aspects of the film, consideration of writers, locations, and many more things, will take a while. Then they will be into real pre-production, casting, and finally, filming itself.
I could imagine their using 2014 and 2015 to prepare, filming in 2016, post production through 2017.
What do you think?
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby icarus » Oct 06, 2013 3:58 am

I have to echo the sentiments of glumpuddle, rilian and a few others here, in that the thing that has got me the most excited is not the movie that will come out at the end of it... but everything else that comes before it.

As much as I disliked the VDT movie, the two or so years before that were just so much fun. Hunting the internet for spy reports, dissecting all the latest casting news, analysing every new set photo that came out, eagerly awaiting the new trailer releases, studying the concept art and devising ever more elaborate theories about how everything would all fit together. It was a journey in itself.

Ditto for the build up to Prince Caspian (though the pay-off for the final movie was much more satisfying there). You could almost say the actual movie is an irrelevance to me. Sure i'd like it to be good, but i'm not holding my breath. Rather i'm just hoping for the same rollercoaster ride of fun in the two years before it.

glumpuddle made the analogy with Batman at the start of The Dark Knight Rises - retired, lonely and depressed, secretly hoping for everything to kick off again so he can don the cape and cowl and go back to doing what he does best - well I have definitely dusted off the cobwebs from this old account and am eager to get back in the game. Like the old boxer stepping back into the ring for one final round - here we go again.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Eustace » Oct 11, 2013 9:39 am

icarus wrote:I have to echo the sentiments of glumpuddle, rilian and a few others here, in that the thing that has got me the most excited is not the movie that will come out at the end of it... but everything else that comes before it.

As much as I disliked the VDT movie, the two or so years before that were just so much fun. Hunting the internet for spy reports, dissecting all the latest casting news, analysing every new set photo that came out, eagerly awaiting the new trailer releases, studying the concept art and devising ever more elaborate theories about how everything would all fit together. It was a journey in itself.

I totally agree. I love Narniaweb best when all I am spending my time doing is speculating before the movie is released. Making up stuff and discussing it with others is always fun. I think really yeah, we may sometimes wish that we did not have to wait so long, but, when it really comes down to it, waiting is half the fun. :D
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 12, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm really excited about this! I'm a little worried but honestly I don't think they could do much worse than VDT both adaptation wise and cinematically. And I'm really looking forward to 2-plus years of feverish speculation :)
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Impending Doom » Oct 12, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm hoping Devin Brown will continue his Inside Narnia series! I remember reading an interview on NarniaFans.com I think it was, saying he would continue when the Silver Chair got greenlit so he better start writing! :)
Impending Doom
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby jewel » Oct 15, 2013 2:06 pm

I think it's going to be really good, especially with Douglass Gresham in charge of some of it.
jewel
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext