This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

What time period is PC set in?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

What time period is PC set in?

Postby MrsHolmes » Jun 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi there,

I guess the subject title speaks for itself. Is there any defined time period that Narnia during Prince Caspian is set in? By that I mean, would it have been Medieval, Pre-Raphaelite, etc.? I was thinking 1400s-1500s due to the clothing, but I'm not sure if I'm right or not. I hope this makes sense. If not I'll try my best to make my question a bit clearer. :p Thanks!

~Holmes

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Awesome-as sig by Ithilwen, sweet-as avi by DamselJillPole. Thanks you two! *hugs*
MrsHolmes
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: World of Sherlock Holmes, solving mysteries with E+J (Watson) and DamselJillPole (Adler)

Re: What time period is PC set in?

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 13, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm pretty positive that it was in the 2000's-2300's in Narnia during Prince Caspian.

EDIT: 2303 so I was right in a way. Here's the wiki time table for Narnia

http://narnia.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Periods_of_Narnia
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 13, 2013 8:55 pm

MrsHolmes wrote:Is there any defined time period that Narnia during Prince Caspian is set in? By that I mean, would it have been Medieval, Pre-Raphaelite, etc.? I was thinking 1400s-1500s due to the clothing, but I'm not sure if I'm right or not.

Since Narnia is an alternate world, rather than a place on earth, it isn't set in any particular time period from our history. Although, it does seem that Lewis was inspired by medieval fairy tales when he designed it.

As for our world, the Pevensies lived in 1940s England.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby King_Erlian » Jun 14, 2013 2:20 am

DamselJillPole wrote:Here's the wiki time table for Narnia

http://narnia.wikia.com/wiki/Time_Periods_of_Narnia

I'm a bit sceptical about all these "timelines" - what Narnian year x or y happened in, what Our-World year each adventure happened in, how old the children were etc. - unless they were created by C. S. Lewis himself, and even then I think he wasn't immune to making mistakes. Certainly I don't think they should be regarded as absolute and "you-must-believe-them-or-you'll-be-burned-at-the-stake". ;)
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MrsHolmes » Jun 14, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone! You made a good point, Ithilwen, about Narnia being its own world rather than some place on Earth. I've also looked at the wiki time table; while it was interesting, it didn't quite answer my question about the clothing.

Certainly I don't think they should be regarded as absolute and "you-must-believe-them-or-you'll-be-burned-at-the-stake". ;)

Okay, that made me laugh. :p

Awesome-as sig by Ithilwen, sweet-as avi by DamselJillPole. Thanks you two! *hugs*
MrsHolmes
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: World of Sherlock Holmes, solving mysteries with E+J (Watson) and DamselJillPole (Adler)

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 14, 2013 8:47 pm

MrsHolmes wrote:I've also looked at the wiki time table; while it was interesting, it didn't quite answer my question about the clothing.

Maybe some of the folks in the costume section would know. Or you could try listening to the audio commentary, or read interviews with the crew members who designed the costumes and sets. I personally don't remember what era they modeled it after, but if I remember right, the country they modeled it after was Spain.

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby DamselJillPole » Jun 15, 2013 1:29 am

I'm sorry MrsHolmes. I reread your post last night and saw that and since Ithilwen already answered that I wasn't going to say the same thing.

However i recently researched Spanish clothing and came to this link. The 1600's clothes seems to have a few similar looks to the Telmarines. Especially the blue dress since it reminds me a lot of Susan's farewell dress in PC.

http://pinterest.com/costumediva11/1600-s-costume-history/
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby AnimalOfNarnia » Sep 06, 2013 9:03 am

2303...a year none of us in our world are ever going to be alive to see, yet look at how far we've come in comparision ;)

It's funny...TMN, TLLW, and THHB are all set in years that are practically unaccounted in our world, and PC, VDT, SC and TLB are set in years none of us are ever going to be alive to see. :-\
AnimalOfNarnia
NarniaWeb Regular