This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Accents in the Films

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Accents in the Films

Postby ramagut » Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm

waggawerewolf27 wrote:The real point is, whether or not changing the accents from a vaguely foreign Mediterranean accent to a more realistic and more bearable (for the actors) RP actually did VDT no favours? Were you, in USA, turned off by characters who sounded like they would be at home with the likes of Prince Harry?

Or would you think that having a leader who sounded 'posh' at least made him sound more like how you would imagine a king to sound?

I don't think we would pick up on the accents as much as you all would. Unless it is a striking difference, such as cockney versus RP, we wouldn't even notice it. Honestly, I don't even know what Prince Harry sounds like. :-o

As far as Caspian, the lack of the Inigo Montoya accent was just a pleasant change. ;))
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Re: Accents in the Films

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Thank you muchly for your response, coracle. When it comes to English accents I fear that the subject is of such worldwide repercussions that I couldn't really deal with it on my own. :-$ I've also felt a bit annoyed that Alan Jay Lerner who wrote the song "Why can't the English learn... " could manage to include the USA in Professor Higgins' diatribe, but not any of the Commonwealth Countries who all have their own ways of speaking. For example I have found that the Scottish accent is diametrically opposed to the Australian accent, which makes day-to-day communication a little interesting, you might say. =))

coracle wrote:I can't speak for the development of the Australian accent, but in NZ for many years there was no local accent, as most white settlers were from England and other parts of Britain.

Actually you could. Because from 1788, theoretically speaking, until 1 July 1841, New Zealand was, administratively speaking, part of New South Wales, after which it became the British colony of New Zealand, becoming self-governing in 1856. The Australian accent was heavily influenced by convicts, many of them from London, in particular, though my Tasmanian convict ancestress came from Scotland. It would seem, few convicts had anything to do with New Zealand, which as you say, got a lot of immigrants, especially Scottish, down in the South Island, around Christchurch, and, in particular, around Dunedin. My own family history, which includes one such Scottish family, suggests otherwise about how much interaction there might have been. =;

Prince Harry, like all his family, who can expect to do a lot of public speaking, speaks very 'proper'. He has recently served among the UK military troops sent to Afghanistan, where he seems to have performed creditably and effectively. I did note in those reports that the people serving with him did take note of his 'posh' sort of voice. And recently, his great-grandfather, George VI was depicted in the film, 'The King's speech', as having a problem with a stammer.

Since leaders such as Presidents and Kings have to do a lot of public speaking, as part of the position, it stands to reason that if George VI could manage to overcome this handicap, so might Caspian X also overcome a Telmarine accent in 3 years. But isn't this the sort of nitpicking detail the casual theatregoer would miss?

Although I suspect that in the end it is not really the concern of this apolitical site, I am still bemused as to why characters 'sounding like English Toffs', according to that particular reviewer, would be a reason why people should have avoided going to see VDT.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Previous