This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

"We Consolidated 7 Islands Into 5"

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: "We Consolidated 7 Islands Into 5"

Postby Glumpuddle » Feb 23, 2010 7:41 am

^ Haha. I got a funny picture in my head I've gotten several times since LWW was released: The director, producers, and a few marketing people sitting in a smoke-filled room saying things like "how about releasing this picture? With no context, fans will go crazy. Buhuhahahahaha!"

"Oh...here's one. How about saying we've tuned 7 movies into 5 movies... and then years later, when it comes time to make Dawn Treader, will repeat the 7-to-5 idea. That'll really freak them out! Buhuhahahahahahahahahaahha!!"

"Oh...here's one that'll really create chaos. Lets make them think something absurdly seemingly-impossible and ridiculous happens at the end of the PC movie. Like... lets start a rumor that Caspian Susan kiss!" *laughter all around table*
Andrew Adamson: "Hahaha... Hmmmm.... Actually.... Maybe that could actually work for the ending."
*silence*
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 23, 2010 9:12 am

^^bahaha. That would be really mean, though I'm sure they enjoy it...if that's what they do :p
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Feb 23, 2010 9:15 am

glumPuddle, I have similar pictures. It's a plot to get us worked up. The conversation in my mind goes something like this.
Okay, if we really scare the fans by hinting at possible big changes maybe they won't notice some of the smaller changes like reworking lines or at least not mind them.

Great idea! Let's write a ridiculous script and leak it. Then they will have to admit that anything is better than that! :ymdevil:

Good idea. After that we can allow people to watch the filming and make sure that most of what they see is clearly not in the book.

Boy, I can hardly wait to watch them panic. It is nice to get a good laugh.

Yeah, who knows they might come up with some ideas we can use.

(I'm beginning to scare myself. :-s )
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 23, 2010 3:06 pm

glumPuddle wrote:^ Haha. I got a funny picture in my head I've gotten several times since LWW was released: The director, producers, and a few marketing people sitting in a smoke-filled room saying things like "how about releasing this picture? With no context, fans will go crazy. Buhuhahahahaha!"

"Oh...here's one. How about saying we've tuned 7 movies into 5 movies... and then years later, when it comes time to make Dawn Treader, will repeat the 7-to-5 idea. That'll really freak them out! Buhuhahahahahahahahahaahha!!"

"Oh...here's one that'll really create chaos. Lets make them think something absurdly seemingly-impossible and ridiculous happens at the end of the PC movie. Like... lets start a rumor that Caspian Susan kiss!" *laughter all around table*
Andrew Adamson: "Hahaha... Hmmmm.... Actually.... Maybe that could actually work for the ending."
*silence*

^^ it would be funny if they told us stuff just to freak us out.....like the islands being 5 instead of 7! that would be hilarious!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Adeona » Feb 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Good one, glumPuddle!

I'm starting to really worry about the fate of the Dark Island.
I do think the production counts it as one of the original seven islands. If insead they were counting another of the lone islands, why would they not count all three and make it a total of eight?
Tirian saw concept art for each of the five movie islands. He then calls Goldwater (Deathwater) an island. [Edit: No he doesn't! Well, that does ease my worry... Maybe I should have double-checked my facts, hmm?] I think that effectively rules out the idea of it's being combined with Dragon Island. I'm sure Tirian knows what he's talking about! So there are now five of five movie islands accounted for by reasonable evidence.
That leaves only the Dark Island as the possible second cut/combined island. It has not been confirmed in any way as it's own island (or as being in the movie at all - aside from the casting of Lord Rhoop, of course), and I think that unlike Deathwater, this island would be pretty hard to combine in a believable way.

After PC failed in part because of the much-hyped "Darkness" of the film, I wonder if the production is staying away from dark themes as much as possible at this point?

I want Dark Island in the movie!!!!! :((
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Adeona wrote:Good one, glumPuddle!

I'm starting to really worry about the fate of the Dark Island.

"Sailing uncharted seas, the old friends must survive a terrible storm, encounters with sea serpents, dragons, and invisible enemies to reach lands where magicians weave mysterious spells and nightmares come true."

This was a quote from an early synopsis of the film. It is possible that the island may not be in the film, but I'm pretty sure the concept of a place where nightmares come true will still be in there somewhere.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Bookwyrm » Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm going to be really annoyed if the Dark Island is cut. Maybe not boycott-the-movie annoyed, but still really upset.
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Feb 23, 2010 7:42 pm

My personal theory is that the concept of Dark Island has been combined with another island. The idea of a place where nightmares come true will almost certainly be in the film, but it may not be its own island. Personally I think it will somehow be combined with Deathwater Island. This island always seemed like a short adventure to me. Attaching the events of Dark Island to it may help the pacing of that part of the film.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 23, 2010 8:29 pm

^^that seems like a logical idea. If they do for sure have Deathwater as its own island, it would make sense to add the nightmare part of the book to that island, for more adventure and such.

Adeona: I hope your last point isn't true! It would be horrible that just b/c PC was "dark" they decided to remove the Dark island :((
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

The problem with PC wasnt that is was dark. The problem was that it was advertized to be dark (alienating some younger children) and that the actual movie wasnt dark (alienating fans of a more mature fantasy).

It had lots of action, but there was way too much cheesy kid humor to be "dark". The only moments in the film that come close to "dark" are the end of the Night Raid and the Sorcery and Sudden Vengence scene.

The final battle was more "Wow thats cool" rather then depressing violent or scary.

I think if VotDT advertizes itself as a good film (not a kid film, not a teen film, not and adult film: just a movie for the general audience to watch), then it will do well.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 24, 2010 8:41 pm

^^I completely agree. That's why I put "dark" in quotes. It's annoying how PC before it was released in theatres was advertised as a dark, action flick and then you watch the DVD trailers and hardly any of them actually have any scenes from the battles or night raid. Just Lucy running in to Aslan and watching dryads, and them meeting Prince Caspian and such. All the "happy" stuff in the movie. That's part of what I think made the movie pretty much bomb- it was advertised horribly. I hope they advertise VotDT better, like you said, to a general audience.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Smooshy » Feb 25, 2010 8:14 am

I'm OK if they cut or combine islands. I'm OK with it because I just know they aren't going to stick to the books so I'm cutting my losses and am just crossing my fingers for an enjoyable flick (notice I didn't say "good"). VoDT the book sparks my imagination so perhaps it's best the movie not mirror that too much as it could never measure up to that in the first place.

I really hope the Dark Island stays in some form or another. I love the part with the albatross. It's such an atmospheric moment that I can't see a filmmaker passing it up though I do think it will look much different than the book. But they can skip the guy crying about the giant scissors. =))
The cat came back
Smooshy
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Eustace » Apr 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Now Eustace's nightmare about large scissors I wouldn't mind seeing. =))
Dark Island is a really cool island and in no way do I want that completely cut from the movie.
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 03, 2010 11:51 am

^^ Eusatce dreaming of large scissors! =)) wow, we are all in desprate need of seeing VotDT! December 10, 2010, come quick!!!!!!!!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Previous