This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Silver Chair: Your Thoughts on the Possible Film

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: The Silver Chair: Your Thoughts on the Possible Film

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 20, 2010 6:36 pm

Okay, here's some things on my dream list. :)

Puddleglum: Bruce Spencer (I know he was Lord Rhoop, but he was hardly recognizable in that role, so there shouldn't be a problem with him being Puddleglum as well.)

Screenwriter - glumPuddle
Director - Icarus
Costume Designer - Lady Eowyn

Budget: 300 million

rottentomatoes score - 100%
Box office results - Good enough to let narnia fans to continue making the series
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 20, 2010 6:40 pm

Actually how old is Puddleglum suppossed to be anyway? cause I'd vote Leonard Nimoy if he's young enough.

As for director- Adamson!
Rating- either PC type PG or Hidalgo/ Day After Tomorrow type PG-13
Budget- $180-190 mil
release- Thanksgiving or Christmas 2012

Everything else: I've no idea.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby bkey » Dec 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Well, if SC does get made, and I very much hope it will, I have a few hopes.

The first of which is for Walden to hire new screenwriters. I haven't been impressed with any of the scripts that Markus and McFeely have worked on. I understand that adapting novels is one of the hardest forms of screenwriting, but I don't think that the pair have a firm grasp on the novels and have tried to hard to piggyback the lotr and Harry Potter series'. I know that the studio turned to other writers for VDT, but I think they need to go with completely new blood for the film.

Secondly, hire a new director. Adamson did a fine job on LWW and PC, and I think Apted is a very competent director, and the flaws with VDT lie moreso with the script than with the direction. However, I think with an ongoing series like this, it's a great idea to bring in new directors to give each film its own distinct personality.

My director wishlist:
- Alfonso Cuaron- Probably won't happen, but I can dream. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is one of the best of the HP series, and Children of Men is one of the best films of the decade.
- Mike Newell- Also a holdover from the Harry Potter series, Newell is no rookie to the fantasy genre, and could deliver a solid, if somewhat generic film.
- Matthew Vaughn- Most likely the least likely, as he is tied up with a slew of future of projects. However, he's a great up and coming director. Stardust and Kick-Ass were both excellent and surprising films in their own right, and his involvement in X-Men: First Class actually make me excited for an X-Men film again.

Other, essentially impossible choices would be Darren Aronofsky, Guillermo Del Toro, and Peter Jackson.

As far as casting, keeping Will Poulter as Eustace is a must. He made VDT, and is a very promising actor. I can't wait to see more of him.

For Jill, go the tried and true method of picking a relative unknown, someone who can make the role their own with no expectations. Keep Gary Sweet as Drinian, and bring back Peter Dinklage as Trumpkin. As for older Caspian and Liliandil, I have no preference.

Puddleglum, this is a hard one to cast. I am completely, 100% against casting Johnny Depp for several reasons. He's a good enough actor, but he's too recognizeable, and he's not Puddleglum. Also, the salary he would demand would probably be close to VDT's entire budget. I see someone like David Tennant, Doug Jones, or Paul Bettany in the role.

For the Lady of the Green Kirtle, i like (and I know they are all completely different) Julianne Moore, Cate Blanchett, Evangeline Lilly, or Lily Cole. For Rilian I still think Daniel Bruhl would be the perfect choice.

Keep a PG rating, although I wouldn't be against them pushing the boundaries of the rating. Also, no 3D, and lower the budget to around $120 million.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Josh » Dec 20, 2010 7:45 pm

bkey wrote:
Other, essentially impossible choices would be Darren Aronofsky, Guillermo Del Toro, and Peter Jackson.

Isnt Aronfsky the guy who directed Requiem for a Dream? If so he's a great director, but I'm not sure how he would handle Narnia. One thing I do think he would get right is the state of mind that Rillian is going through and the psychological issues regarding him.

And after reading the page, I now also agree that Johnny Depp would make a better Uncle Andrew then Puddleglum. Uncle Andrew is one of those characters that could be more open to interpretation.

Still, Johnny as Puddleglum would be fine for me. And he would also bring in more $ which is what the series needs to survive right now.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Josh wrote:Still, Johnny as Puddleglum would be fine for me. And he would also bring in more $ which is what the series needs to survive right now.

But would the money made by casting a big name actor outweigh the cost of hiring him? I don't know. Just look at The Tourist. It is doing pretty poorly at the box office right now, and it has two big names in it. (One of them is Depp, btw)

FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Dec 20, 2010 8:14 pm

Josh wrote:Isnt Aronfsky the guy who directed Requiem for a Dream? If so he's a great director, but I'm not sure how he would handle Narnia. One thing I do think he would get right is the state of mind that Rillian is going through and the psychological issues regarding him.

Yeah, I don't think Aronofsky would even agree to do Narnia, on principle. Or if he did, we wouldn't recognize it after. This is the director who was going to make Superman into an angst-y troubled teen. Not my cup of tea.

And after reading the page, I now also agree that Johnny Depp would make a better Uncle Andrew then Puddleglum. Uncle Andrew is one of those characters that could be more open to interpretation.

I apologize for being so insistent on this point, but it's just that all the bones in my body scream against Johnny Depp being in a Narnia movie. In the case of Uncle Andrew I can easily imagine something happening like Jim Carrey's "interpretation" of Uncle Olaf in A Series of Unfortunate Events. It was indeed unfortunate. Secondly, Johnny Depp looks nothing like Pauline Baynes' illustration. Even less than Puddleglum. Uncle Andrew is getting "up there" in age. Johnny Depp looks far too young.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby fireheart209 » Dec 20, 2010 8:18 pm

My vote for LotGK would be Emilie de Ravin. She's a lot older now than when she did "sweet young thing" on Lost and I thought she did the "beautiful girl turned evil" pretty well. She pulled off some pretty creepy looks.

Enchanting Rilian look:
http://my.opera.com/celebfan/albums/sho ... re=9663671

Evil Witch:
http://wallpapers.free-review.net/36__L ... _Ravin.htm
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 20, 2010 8:23 pm

FriendofNarnia2 wrote:Okay, here's some things on my dream list. :)

Puddleglum: Bruce Spencer (I know he was Lord Rhoop, but he was hardly recognizable in that role, so there shouldn't be a problem with him being Puddleglum as well.)

Screenwriter - glumPuddle
Director - Icarus
Costume Designer - Lady Eowyn

Budget: 300 million

rottentomatoes score - 100%
Box office results - Good enough to let Narnia fans to continue making the series

I like your dream list. :)

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm

A Narniaweb Silver Chair script....hmm.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby bkey » Dec 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Josh wrote: Isnt Aronfsky the guy who directed Requiem for a Dream? If so he's a great director, but I'm not sure how he would handle Narnia. One thing I do think he would get right is the state of mind that Rillian is going through and the psychological issues regarding him.

Aronofsky did director Requiem for a Dream. He also did Black Swan, The Wrestler, and The Fountain. His take on the series certainly would be interesting. He hasn't done any big budget films, or franchises, at this point in his career, but he will be making his first foray into the blockbuster realm fairly soon. His next film is going to be The Wolverine, the next film in the ongoing X-Men/Wolverine saga. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a big budget and a more "epic" story. I don't personally think he would ever be interested in doing a Narnia film, but I would love to see his take on the series regardless.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Josh » Dec 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I think if anything, Aronofsky would be best at directing The Last Battle. It fits his darker style and would probably be effective.

And he's directing Wolverine?!? Awesome!

Btw, I don't think Johnny Depp would make Uncle Andrew campy like Jim Carrey did to Count Olaf. If anything, I would think Depp would make the character slightly more serious.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Clive Staples Sibelius wrote:A Narniaweb Silver Chair script....hmm.

I'm convinced that if nothing else, we need to help them write their scripts.

FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 21, 2010 12:12 am

Was wondering, has anyone ever actually written any of the production team at Walden and gotten an answer back?

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepicheep775 » Dec 21, 2010 10:01 am

My dream production for The Silver Chair:

Director: Andrew Adamson/Zach Snyder/Christopher Nolan/Peter Jackson... all working together to make cinematic awesomeness. B-)
Screenwriter: NarniaWeb think tank.

I'm not sure about specific casting, but whoever can play their roles well and be preferably unknowns.

Rating: There is no reason whatsoever to go above or below.
Budget: 200m
Release Date: December 7, 2012
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Malfhok » Dec 21, 2010 11:05 am

(Quoting isn't working for me… This comes from FriendofNarnia2's post.)
Just look at The Tourist. It is doing pretty poorly at the box office right now, and it has two big names in it. (One of them is Depp, btw)

Johnny Depp movies that don't involve him in heavy makeup tend to flop.

Until I'd read some post here on NarniaWeb suggesting Depp as Puddleglum, I hadn't thought about it. I was against it, until I finally saw POTC two months ago. Then I reread The Silver Chair, kind of looking to see if it was there at all, and yeah, I can see it.

My dream production:

Director: Michael Apted. He did a great job with VDT, given what he had to work with. Some of his other films are fantastic, so I think he deserves another shot if he has better material. Which brings me to…

Screenwriter: NOT Markus and McFeely. Steven Knight would be good, if he can do an epic quest movie as well as he does political drama. And Douglas Gresham! ;) (I'm tempted to say Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, but they really are better are straight, improbable action, which is not what Narnia needs.)

Rating: PG
Budget: $120 million
Release: December 7, 2012
Malfhok
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Dec 21, 2010 11:33 am

:( .... X( .... 8-} ... :((

Johnny Depp plays silly people in movies. Puddleglum is not silly. Therefore, Johnny Depp should not play Puddleglum.

Puddleglum has a "long thin face with rather sunken cheeks" and "a sharp nose." Johnny Depp does not fit the description of Puddleglum given in the book. Therefore, Johnny Depp should not play Puddleglum.

Puddleglum acts and looks, in Baynes' illustrations, to be on the upper-end of age. Johnny Depp still looks young. Therefore, he should not play Puddleglum.

"Logic! Why don't they teach logic in these schools?" -Professor Kirk, LWW

I would also caution against casting Johnny Depp purely on artistic grounds: he seems to collect quirky roles. Puddleglum would become just another suit in Depp's costume closet, and not a really living Marsh-wiggle as he should be. It's good for Depp, but not for Puddleglum or Narnia.
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext