This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

When do you start believing?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: When do you start believing?

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 07, 2009 11:59 pm

when Lucy walks out from the wardrobe and into wintered Narnia and then she sees Mr Tumnus. everything about that scene was just so magical and perfect and everything that i felt when i first read LWW.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby AslanIsKing » Sep 08, 2009 11:11 pm

JadistarkilleR wrote:when Lucy walks out from the wardrobe and into wintered Narnia and then she sees Mr Tumnus. everything about that scene was just so magical and perfect and everything that i felt when i first read LWW.
I AGREE WITH JADISTARKILER, FLAWLESS SCENCE BUT, as an ardent movie goer and amature film critic, I have a lot to say about when the LWW won me over. Of course I was already familiar with the story, but all truly flawless films, and great memroable films start out with a great opening. In this case, the blitz. Were not in the country or in Narnia yet, but were in a time in WWII were over 43,000 civilians died due to the Luftwaffe (Nazi Air Force) campaign to topple British morale, and cause unfathomable destruction. We see an evil grinned Nazi pilot, knowing he enjoys his work, fly over Britan to serve the Nazi cause. It is here where we meet and are taken over immediately by the childern. We see poor adorable Lucy, snuggled in her mothers arms, in great fear. We see Edmund recklessly risk his life and that of his brother, for the deep love of his father, We see and immediately are taken over by the family, just within the few moments of opening. We Know that they are in serious peril, and here the movie kicks off. Letting us know with such a violent dark opening, that this is a serious world, and they MUST have a greater understanding of life than previously imagined, to be brave, to lead, and to defeat their fears. And we know this just with that scene just set in England, from then on I knew that this was NOT going to be a childishly acted movie, as we see with even the first Harry Potter movies. Where the kids are just acting like kids. Here the children genuinley inhibit something RARELY portrayed in film, if at all done well, and again what the Potter series lacks. What is it? INTAMACY! Even though its a grand adventure, its not like LOTR, where everything is on such a grand scale, which is not at all bad, but here the TRUE heart of the film, lies with the childrens hearts and their advancemets to better understand and develop their virtues for the rest of their lives!

David Edelstein from NPR and Slate Magazine said it best: "surprisingly intimate movie—an epic saga of fauns and talking (Cockney) beavers and evil sorceresses and triumphal resurrections and massive, sweeping battles that nonetheless feels … small I don't mean that slightingly. The Lion, the Witch, etc. begins and ends in the imagination of children experiencing a profound loss—in this case, a rain of German bombs on London, after which the four Pevensie children are exiled (for their own protection) to the country manse of a distant relative. In the absence of a mother and a father (or of any supportive parental figure), in a universe turned upside down, the Pevensies enter a world in which—with the aid of a gravely resplendent lion, Aslan -they overcome their earthly fears and desires and fight to vanquish an evil (and vaguely Aryan-Fascist) witch (Tilda Swinton). There's plenty of busy, Lord of the Rings-like sprawl, but it's the fleeting images that matter most. When little Lucy (Georgie Henley is the most endearing and expressive child actor of the millennium) enters the formidable wardrobe and emerges on the other side of some fur coats into a snow-covered forest, it's less the setting that captures your imagination. (This isn't one of those fancy, Tim Burton-like Expressionist dazzlers.) It's the snowflake on the little girl's eyelash. It's Lucy's wonder at this place and at the faun (James McAvoy) who befriends her, betrays her, and then—his conscience getting the best of him—helps her to escape."
I Worked at the International Debut of the Narnia Exhibit: BEST JOB EVER!!!!! :)
AslanIsKing
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SecondRose » Sep 09, 2009 7:03 pm

I think I start believing at when the children board the train. Opening it in WWII was very real for me, and it seemed to flow.

Now if we talk about PC it is not so good. :-s I start believing when the children enter Narnia, but it stops around the time they get to Caspian and I'm sort of jerked in and out the rest of the film! :-o
I tell no one any story but his own - Aslan
SecondRose
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 11, 2009 5:59 pm

My first point was when they all (okay, sorry Ed, not all) arrive at Aslan's camp. I love how the Dryad waves at Lucy! But the strongest point for me was the beginning of the battle, where they close-up into the map...
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby cuppycakesrach » Sep 11, 2009 8:01 pm

mm1991 wrote:Um, after the previews? ;)
I try to "take off my critical hat" from beginning to end for a first viewing, but obviously, there are just some things that will stick out as horrendous or just not right.
As for believing it, I wouldn't say there's a defining moment for me, it's more of a slow progression.

Same here. lol seriouslly I rememeber watching the trailor for LWW for the first time ... I got all tingly and got chillbumps ... and when we went and watched it in the theatres ... I cried... when aslan died, alot ... and then as soon as the movie was over we went straight to the CD store and bought the sountrack ... I remember listening to the first song .. the one on the air raid.... and I cried.( I'm a sap, can you tell?) lol

I remember watching the movie and being sooo amazed ... remembering when my mom read the story to us and it was exactly as I had imgained ... so for me the magic/ belief started when i was standing in line buying my popcorn. =))
" We have nothing if not belief"
cuppycakesrach
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aslan's Follower » Sep 13, 2009 3:09 am

I started believing when Lucy started believing. ;)

This is a very interesting subject. I don't actually think there was an exact point when I started believing. It was more like, as the movie went along I gradually believed more and more till by the time Lucy was in Tumnus' house I was totally believing. :)

@cuppycakesrach, I have been known to cry when the children are saying goodbye to their mother in the train station. :)
I'm a Rebelutionary!
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Aslan's Follower
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous