This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Remade again?

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Do you think The Chronicles will be remade again?

Yes! There will probably be many versions of Narnia films
61%
No, these movies will be the only ones.
39%

Total votes : 23

Remade again?

Postby The Scribbler » Sep 05, 2009 9:23 am

I've been thinking about this for while, especially since we are uncertain if anything further than SC will be made into a film. I personally think that these will not be the last time that Narnia is made into films. I think its one of those movie subjects that have a lot of different ways that it could be interpreted on screen, and that one or two versions will not be enough. There are lots of movies that get remade over and over again. One of them that comes to mind is Jane Austens Pride and Predjudice. There are many different versions, and each have a different vantage point on the book. Then the viewers can pick there favorite instead of having one movie set in stone. I would not be surprised if the movies get remade and I think it would be nice to have other versions that pull different aspects from the books. What do you all think? Will they be remade and how would you feel about having different versions?
MyCurrentKicks-Switchfoot, PureNRG
TAN Member Im a Northie-Footer & Pilgrim!
"Once we find him we will... SQUIRREL!... -Up
The Scribbler
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Remade again?

Postby ForeverFan » Sep 05, 2009 9:51 am

If they are remade, it most likely won't be for a very long time. I think the difference between Narnia and Jane Austen adaptations is (while it's true, there are many of the latter) that with Narnia, it's 7 books, a series, and people might be hesitant to re-make just one of the stories. Which one would they chose? Personally, I liked LWW enough to accept it as a definitive version of the story, despite the minor changes, and I think it was successful enough from the $$$ aspect that it won't be remade. With Jane Austen, each of her works are stand alone books, much less to commit too from the producers/directors etc. viewpoint. Meaning- if they ever remake a Pride & Prejudice and it flops, okay, they can move on, without feeling like they've got to make the sequel(s) into adaptations...simply because there aren't any. I think it's much trickier to re-make book series into films then stand alones, simply because of the aforementioned reasons.
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby NothinButNarnia » Sep 05, 2009 9:57 am

I think they will, hopefully MN, HHB, and LB will be made by someone! Those are some of the best books and it is a shame BBC didn't make them into movies :(
av / sig by me, PM if you want one
saw the movie opening weekend and cried at the end!
Jesus DIED for ME and YOU!
NothinButNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Bother Eustace » Sep 05, 2009 2:43 pm

The Scribbler wrote:There are lots of movies that get remade over and over again. One of them that comes to mind is Jane Austens Pride and Predjudice.

Yes, there are tons of those. But I think it's a bit different; movies like Pride and Prejudice are easier to make than epic (dare I use that word?) fantasy films. Most of the movies which have several remakes are ones that can get away with smaller budgets.
That being said, I don't think it's impossible for Narnia to be made again; who knows? Also as you mentioned there's always the possibility of movies coming out later that aren't necessarily the same exact story as Narnia, but that are based very heavily on it (I myself wouldn't like that idea, but still, it could happen). As long as C.S. Lewis's works continue to be appreciated, which is hopefully forever, I believe these stories will be reinvented for new generations.
"Of course we've got to find him (if we can). That's the nuisance of it. It means a search party and endless trouble. Bother Eustace." ~ Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Sig: lover of narnia
Bother Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Sep 05, 2009 3:56 pm

These films will surely be remade. Although how long it will be before they are remade depends upon the popularity of this version. LWW not only was a huge sucess at the box office, but was nominated for several academy awards as well. Thus this version of the story is destined to be quite memorable. However, I do think the Chronicals will be remade. Perhaps not in our lifetime, but sometime.

Movies, both popular and unpopular are constantly being remade. The Hulk was a flop, so they remade it, only a few years later. On the other hand, good movies have been remade as well. Bachelor Mother was released a decade later as Bundle of Joy. My Favorite Wife was remade as Move Over Darling. The Shop Around the Corner was rereleased as In the Good Old Summertime and then as You've Got Mail. Disney has released 3 different versions of Treasure Island. And even Alice in Wonderland is being remade.

As further evidence, just consider that LWW has already been released as 4 different films since the book was written in the 1950's.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Sparky » Sep 05, 2009 8:06 pm

Give it enough time and every movie ever made that was even remotely close to successful will be remade(and likely a few that weren't even close to sucessful). That includes Narnia, though that won't be for at least a decade or two. I'm currently much more interested in the current Narnia films however. ;)
Mark my words, someday I will think of something brilliant to put in my sig.
Sparky
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 05, 2009 8:22 pm

It is very possible that they will be remade, but it will not compare how they are doing them today. With so much technology I think they will ruin the essence of the books. LWW was very good, PC was okay, VDT remains to be seen. I would rather stick to the ones they are doing now at the moment and focus on the future later.
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby adamie » Sep 06, 2009 1:43 am

I did not vote, because I feel there is missing an option. I think they will be remade if these movies are really successful. Otherwise, there won't be a remake.
click the image.
adamie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby JadistarkilleR » Sep 06, 2009 2:09 am

well it depends on who has the movie rights and if they're willing to have the franchise re-done. but given how well these films have been made and received its unlikely that we will get another remake anytime soon.

... unless of course the format is in animation then its anyone's guess.

if there is any "new Narnia" movie that will be done its probably for the books that most likely wont get made in line with the continuity of the current franchise, namely The Horse and His Boy. The Magician's Nephew is still technically part of this continuity since it documents the birth of Narnia and how Jadis-- who becomes the White Witch-- came about in the LWW.

You have a chance to become the most noble contradiction in history
...the Telmarine who saved Narnia.
JadistarkilleR
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 06, 2009 6:13 am

Yes they will but i will probably be in my 50's by the time. =))
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Peepiceeka » Sep 08, 2009 6:08 pm

:-\ It's too early to really know, but I voted No. Once they get all of the Chronicles made into movies this time, we'll have to see how well they did. But if they're really successful, I can't see why anybody would want to remake them AGAIN, because one can only recreate a book so many times. Speaking of that, does anybody know if there's ever been a book that has been remade more than two times?
Peepiceeka
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Wow, I don't know. Maybe in a 100 years? Even then I don't know.
I guess I'd like to say no, that these movies will just become THE narnia movies that people will watch in years to come.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian1 » Sep 09, 2009 8:47 pm

TheGeneral wrote:I guess I'd like to say no, that these movies will just become THE narnia movies that people will watch in years to come.

that's the same way I voted and I used the same reasoning.
The BBC movies were good for the time so they definitely needed updating and finishing, as not all books were made into movies then.

Today's movies have enough good technology in them without taking out the feel of the book. In the future there will be even more advances so I'd expect the movies would rely all the movie and updated CGI and all the rest, and that might ruin it entirely, (it might make it better too of course. But I'll also just worry about now and if that ever comes I'll see if it's worth).
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Mr Anderson » Sep 10, 2009 6:20 am

I don't think they'll ever be remade anytime within the next 50 years or so. Maybe by then the technology will be so much more advanced that these movies will look really old and cheaply done, and they'll make new "better" versions. But other than that, I dont' see any reason why they might remake them. ^_^
(Formerly Reep&cheep)
Mr Anderson
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Gymfan15 » Sep 10, 2009 7:39 am

I didn't vote because I think that whether or not another Narnia series gets made in my lifetime actually depends on what's going to happen within the next year.

Hear me out on this one...

If VdT is successful, Fox will undoubtably greenlight SC and the chances of us getting the remaining three books (MN, HHB and LB) would be pretty high, since I think SC could be an extrememly marketable movie. If the entire series gets filmed and finished, the Narnia series will be considered a smashing success and that will be that...people won't try and re-create it for a very long time. Seriously, do you think we're going to see another version of LotR or HP in our lifetime? I don't think so.

Now, if VdT is NOT successful and the franchise stops then and there, I think seeing a re-boot of the franchise ten or twenty years down the line is not only probable, but imminent. Filmmakers will look at Narnia and think, "I could do a better job with that and make it successful", like those superhero movies that studios love re-booting nowadays.

What do you think? Do you agree with me that if the current Narnia franchise ends with VdT, it's very, very likely that we'll see the franchise restarted within 10 or 20 years?
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby narnian1 » Sep 10, 2009 3:27 pm

Gymfan15 wrote:Seriously, do you think we're going to see another version of LotR or HP in our lifetime? I don't think so.

On both I don't we will see another, LOTR is already considered a masterpiece and to see those remade would be a crime. HP, better adaptations could have been done but I love them as they are regardless and I personally wouldn't want to see another.

Gymfan15 wrote:Do you agree with me that if the current Narnia franchise ends with VdT, it's very, very likely that we'll see the franchise restarted within 10 or 20 years?

I do see them re-booting if these weren't successful,
if these not being successful would be a very sad thing for me. I love these actors, these are my Narnia actors and I personally don't want others now that we have them. I just need to see these, Walden Media's, finished. It's a must.

Again, I can see a re-boot but I will be upset knowing that the currents never finished. (I'm upset just thinking about it :( )
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Next