This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Leaked Script vs. Final Movie

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Leaked Script vs. Final Movie

Postby Josh » Dec 13, 2010 2:26 pm

I was not trying to make the leaked script sound better than the actual movie. I just wanted a comparioson.

But one thing that does surprise me is that most people think the Green Mist is better then the Serpant Cave. I actually thought the Serpant Cave was creative (kinda creepy too) while the Green Mist looked like the LOST smoke monster.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 13, 2010 2:29 pm

um, the leaked script sounds like a pack of lies.....

Trumpkin looking for his wife? *rubs eyes* did I read that right? this sounds more like some fan who somehow got a hold of the real script and massed it up to make some weird plot.....

Josh: where did you read the leaked script?
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Josh » Dec 13, 2010 2:31 pm

Trumpkin's wife is only mentioned at one point and the context is vague. Like I said, large portions of information were missing.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Dec 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:Trumpkin looking for his wife? *rubs eyes* did I read that right? this sounds more like some fan who somehow got a hold of the real script and massed it up to make some weird plot.....

Because Rhince looking for his lost wife makes much more sense? ;)

Liberty Hoffman wrote:where did you read the leaked script?

Several pages from the script were released online back in 2008. The pages had been used in the casting process for the film when the production was still based in Mexico. The pages were in the form of casting sides - short scenes which they used to audition the actors for each role. The pages were marked with the role title of the audtion, and had additional markings to indicate where the audtionee should start and stop their reading. Therefore it was not a complete script, just 9 or 10 small fractions of scenes.

Liberty Hoffman wrote:um, the leaked script sounds like a pack of lies.....

If anything was a pack of lies it was the press-release that they put out to denounce the script as a "very experimental draft" that was never supposed to see the light of day. The existence of concept art depicting scenes from it and the fact that they were using it to cast roles indicates it was much more "proper" than they let on. That so many significant chunks of it (both whole scenes and general essences of scenes) remain in the final movie also tells its own story.

In fact, i believe that in the end, the only reason that certain elements of it got ditched was due to the budget. If you compare the two side-by-side its very easy to imagine that someone from the accounting department simply came along and put a big red line through everything that would of cost them money, and that was then the script we ended up with.

"Soul Eating Cave? That sounds expensive! Let's just change that to a more money friendly 'Soul Eating Mist' and there we go!"
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm

^^ I actually didn't mind Rhince/Gael looking for their wife/mom..... :D

oh. thanks!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby moo25 » Dec 13, 2010 2:52 pm

*blinks* Wow...I prefer the movie. Hands down. The leaked script might be better developed in places but really...Lucy likes Caspian?!? X( I think I might have died if that had made it onto the screen.
And I didn't like the LGK being in there either. I just...I don't know. I don't want her being over-used like I felt the White Witch was.
And Trumpkin...WIFE?!? That's strange. And so was the freaky Soul Cave thing. /:)
While I did love the Caspain/Lilliandil developed relationship...meh.
I agree though, that they could ahve set the tone of the movie halfway between the one that made it on-screen and the one in the leaked script. That might have made it a lot better.
I stand with the Lord at my side, always.
For Narnia and the North!
Be the change you want to see in the world.

moo25
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » Dec 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Actually, I think the leaked script sounds like it would have been a better movie. I would have hated it as an adaptation but I might have been able to like it as a movie if the script wasn't too bad (and that's a big if). Sure, it has the Soul-Sucking Cave of Doom! and a Lucy/Caspian thing going on, but the plot actually makes sense (unlike the movie I saw in the theater).

Trumpkin finding his wife would have been better than Rhince finding his wife because we already knew Trumpkin. Rhince is closer to the book and then Trumpkin would know Eustace which changes SC, but there would have been more emotional impact. If the final film had taken the time to develop Rhince, the MLG, and his wife more it would have been better. But, since we already knew Trumpkin, we wouldn't have had to spend as much time on him.

The Soul-Sucking Cave of Doom! sound terrible, but at least it would have been a plausible villain. The LotGK being behind everything makes so much more sense than a random island taking over the world through Temptation! and Green Mist.

Lord Bern the rebel sounds awesome. In the book he is such a great character. In the movie he's a random old guy who just happens to have a magical sword.

The enchanted by Green moon light thing sounds weird, but I don't think it would have made me laugh the way the Green Mist flying around the slaves in the boat did.

Lord Bern believing in Aslan is a little strange in both, but it works better in the leaked script. And the use of the Stone Knife is interesting (terrible, not like the book, but interesting). Which brings up one question I had: in the movie, Edmund recognizes the Stone Knife. When did he ever see it?

Dark Island in the leaked script sounds creepy. I think I could live with creepy though. It makes more sense than Edmund not being able to not think about a Sea Serpent.

Lucy throwing the beauty spell into the water also makes more sense than her throwing it into the fire. Why is there a fire in her cabin during a storm?

So, yeah. I don't like either, but the leaked script would have been a better movie.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Dec 13, 2010 4:57 pm

moo25 wrote:And Trumpkin...WIFE?!? That's strange.

There were female dwarves in Prince Caspian. I don't think it would have felt any stranger than that.

Now what would be strange is female minotaurs... :P
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Gymfan15 » Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm

I've said this before, but in hightslight, if I had to choose between the finished movie and the leaked script, I'd go with the leaked script. ;) The plot was just so much more well-rounded. There was an actual villian (the LogtK) and there was no silly seven swords plot (arguably the weakest element of the film without a doubt). Obviously I would have preferred that neither version made it into the film, but if I had to chose, I'd go with the leaked script.

My theory is that somewhere down the line, the decision was made to cut the LogtK from the VdT movie (perhaps to remove any ties to SC as they were now doing this on a film by film basis). They kept her plot in, however, and just substituted the seven swords/Gael plot for the "Narnians have been disappearing"/Trumpkin's wife plot. What they SHOULD have done was started over from scratch once the LogtK was cut since without her, the green mist plot lost it's depth and plausibility.
Gymfan15
Moderator Emeritus
Giver of Prestigious NarniaWeb Taglines™

Postby RoseRed » Dec 13, 2010 7:24 pm

gymfan, I totally agree.

I didn't read the leaked script, I was afraid of spoilers 8-| but I totally regret that now :-s
I HATEHATEHATED the idea of the LotGK being in VotDT when I first read it, but actually knowing she was explains the reason they went with the green mist. I think I...almost...prefer (gah! I can't believe I'm writing this!!!) the idea of the LotGK being the reason for the green mist. I mean, it's less true to the book,a dn I sorta hate it, but in terms of making a good movie, which I and my non-narnia fan friends could have enjoyed together and recommended, it would have worked better
:(
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Dec 14, 2010 3:44 am

What we ended up with was a terrible adaptation, so if we must have that, then they should have gone with the stronger movie. They probably would have made more than 29 million on opening weekend with the leaked script. :P
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby PrincessRosario » Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am

I never thought I'd see the day where NarniaWebbers would be saying the leaked script was better than the final movie. :((

There's no doubt the leaked script was a pretty terrible adaptation, but there's also no doubt (in my mind at least) that it was a vastly more cohesive plot. The soul-eating cave serpent thing was ridiculous, but at least it was a villain with a purpose and an identity, unlike this Green Mist that has no explanation.
For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday, and along the way, lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
PrincessRosario
Moderator Emeritus
The Wanderer

Postby Josh » Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I don't think the soul-eating cave was necessarily a villain like the Green Mist. And I also think the soul-eating cave only made one appearnce during the script (then again we don't know for sure since we are missing huge chunks of the script).

I think the Serpant Cave was sort of like the "Cave of Wonders" from Aladdin. The difference being that instead of a panther emerging from sand it's a serpant emerging from rock. And of course the fact that the cave leads to the Underworld instead of a gold infested cave.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby lysander » Dec 14, 2010 3:16 pm

LotGK has been written out of the movie for now. I'm sure, if they make SC, they'll try to connect her with the green mist then. Betcha a nickle.
~~~~~
"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
~~~~~
lysander
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Dec 14, 2010 3:53 pm

I almost wish they had used the leaked script, it would have been truer to the books (though not VDT) and I think it was more suited to everyone, fans and movie goers all the same
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Dec 14, 2010 4:03 pm

The leaked script would have probably made a better movie, but the green mist makes a better adaption since it is less intrusive. I felt the green mist only showed up from time to time in the film, and caused some rearranging to the order of events, but I feel like if the leaked script had been filmed, very little from the book would have made it into the film.
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext