This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Incredibly Bizarre Apted Quote....

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Bizarre Apted Quote....

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 20, 2010 11:09 am

I haven't the slightest idea what he could mean there. When was this said?

If he said this a year or 2 ago I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if this is recent I'm a little worried
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby King Tirian » Oct 20, 2010 11:09 am

This seems very true and if the CS Lewis estate wanted to go along with it then it doesn't bother me one bit. The new trailer sort of threw me off but at least this is a more given reason then what was done with Prince Caspian. I can't wait to see how this will be done in the film.
King Tirian
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: Having a nice archery practice with DamselJillPole!

Postby Reepi » Oct 20, 2010 11:10 am

Oh my, fanfiction added into the movie, this sounds even worse than the leaked script :P
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

aragorn2 wrote: If he said this a year or 2 ago I wouldn't be too worried about it, but if this is recent I'm a little worried

Well, it's for an feature in a magazine coming out next month, so i'd imagine the interview was done in the last week or so.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby GlimGlum » Oct 20, 2010 11:14 am

icarus wrote:
But it enabled us to find a stronger reason for the journey, since there is no real reason for the journey as it stands.”

That last part to me is the most bizarre as VDT is clear about sailing to find the 7 Lost Lords. And there is a non-existent story between VDT and SC which they used.? :-o

Perhaps Michael Apted gave this interview at 3:00 am in the morning or something and wasn't thinking clearly.

Bizarre is an apt description, icarus. (Pun intended :D )
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Re: Incredibly Bizarre Apted Quote....

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

What the heck?! Well, for everyone who talked about how Apted understands the book and gets what it's about, here's confirmation that he doesn't. No reason for the voyage? Seriously? Notice the fact he used witches. Plural. Not witch, witches. So we're going to have LotGK and the WW tag-teaming or something? Or maybe a whole new witch in SC?
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Rilian » Oct 20, 2010 11:51 am

Wow. No purpose for the journey? :-o

I have no idea what he could be meaning with that line. Is this even the same director? So much we heard earlier seemed so positive as far as them "getting it."
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

http://twitter.com/prince_rilian
Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am

wait, there's another book Lewis didn't write about an underground army of witches.....?
I so want to read this book! I wonder if the CS Lewis foundation will print it when the movie comes out!? :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby king caspian » Oct 20, 2010 11:56 am

What does this guy mean that "there's no purpose for a journey" in this book?

Was he drunk during this interview? I really don't know what all of this means but I hope it doesn't ruin this movie. X(
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 20, 2010 12:05 pm

icarus wrote:
He starts The Silver Chair with the witches building up an army underground to attack the above world, and Caspian, having married The Blue Star of is an old man with a son, and he married the Blue Star of Ramandu.

Ok can I be frank? That line does not make sense to me at all gramatically. I think there's a few typos there.

Anyway as for the whole purpose of the voyage thing, I think he should have worded it differently, as in "the purpose in the book isn't as cohesive for the plot as most moivie audiences expect." Then I might be ok with that. And I thought trailer #2 was confusing... 8-}
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Rilian » Oct 20, 2010 12:16 pm

glumPuddle wrote:It's really cool how in the book you come back and time has passed and a lot of things have happened. It's really hard on Eustace. he gets emotional about coming back and finding Caspian an old man and so much has happened. Why must they destroy everything about the book that is unique or interesting?

This is a great point by gP during an IM chat earlier today. The books are written as a history. In histories, you don't always explain everything. You might reference an adventure or story that happened at another point.

This was something PJ got about LotR. The films are filled with references to ancient heroes and powerful deeds that you wish you could hear about but don't. This is not only unnecessary; I believe it is counter to Lewis's intentions with these books.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Glumpuddle » Oct 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Okay... Everyone can officially start panicking. There are so many things WRONG with this quote that I don't know where to begin.

This makes it sound like the White Witch and the Lady of the Green Kirtle are going to team up, like some stupid comic book movie ("I wanna kill the spider...you wanna kill the spider...").

"Whereas Star Wars and Harry Potter are a bit more attentive to that flowing stream of franchise narrative, Mr Lewis wasn’t so keen on it"

I can't believe he actually said that! There it is, he admits it! They're changing VDT because it isn't conventional enough. Narnia isn't enough like Harry Potter. In other words, the books are special and unique. They stand apart in the fantasy genre. Lewis did something special, and they are attempting to turn it into something you've seen a million times.

The fact that Lewis left a lot untold is INTERESTING. Lewis often hints at other stories that we're never going to hear anything about. It makes the fairy tale world feel real. It makes you feel like there are thousands of stories going on all around, and we are only seeing one.

In SC, Eustace has a very emotional reaction when he learns 70 years have passed.

But that's too original for a movie apparently.

"But it enabled us to find a stronger reason for the journey, since there is no real reason for the journey as it stands.”

Translation: "CS Lewis wrote books for babies, but we're going to add depth and maturity." The reality is that they're doing the opposite. They're dumbing down the books into something cliche and boring. And wait...there's no reason for the journey? ...Uh, we're talking about The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952) by C.S. Lewis, right?
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Rilian » Oct 20, 2010 12:22 pm

Very true glumPuddle. How ironic it is that while they feel they are adding depth, they are in fact dumbing the films down.

I would like to know how many of these people grew up reading the books versus folks jumping onto the bandwagon for the next big hollywood fantasy film.
Your podcasting prince,
Rilian

Rilian
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Reepicheep775 » Oct 20, 2010 12:23 pm

X( X( X(
There IS a reason the crew is on the voyage!

I'm sorry if it isn't cool enough for today's audience, but it's the way the book is. Is the episodic plot cinematic? Maybe, maybe not, but it's so crucial. It sets this book apart, it isn't about the End of the World (well, actually it is, but not in that way :p ). My respect for Michal Apted is now in the negatives. [-(
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby americangirlemmie » Oct 20, 2010 12:25 pm

I think maybe he means there is not peril in the reason they are going....
Co-founder - NW for HP & The Missing Club
americangirlemmie
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Oct 20, 2010 12:33 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:wait, there's another book Lewis didn't write about an underground army of witches.....?
I so want to read this book! I wonder if the CS Lewis foundation will print it when the movie comes out!? :D

No, there is no such book. Apted is saying they're going to show (and expand) things that Lewis only mentioned.

Lewis only mentioned Caspian getting married, and we only see the end of the Lady of the Green Kirtle building her army in SC. Apted seems to be saying they're going to show those things.

"The book CS Lewis didnt write." Well...that's one way to say "we're making stuff up."
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Next