This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Incredibly Bizarre Apted Quote....

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: Incredibly Bizarre Apted Quote....

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm

wolfloversk wrote: x_x :-t ~x( [-x :ympray: :-l :ymtongue: :ymsigh: :-w :-ss #-o :ymsick: =(( 8-} [-( 8-| :(( :-s X( :-o :-\

That pretty much sums up my reaction to this.

Come on, production! I'm trying to stay positive about this movie! I really am! But you're making this increasingly difficult. First the sub-par posters, then the Dark Island madness, Seven Swords plot, and She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and now this? You're calling VDT uncinematic and denying the need for the journey in the first place? What about the seven lords? Have you completely forgotten about them?

And don't compare Narnia to Star Wars or Harry Potter. Narnia came first, and it's completely different from either. Narnia is a history. Hence the word "Chronicles" in the title. It's not about one character or two characters or even a set of characters. It's about the land itself. There doesn't always need to be a villain.

Stop trying to turn VDT into something it's not.
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Josh » Oct 20, 2010 2:00 pm

aragorn2 wrote:I wouldn't really mind that much if the LotGK is the WW daughter but Coriakin's child???? That would be way too far.

But it would explain why Aslan punished him.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 20, 2010 2:02 pm

FriendofNarnia2 wrote:If after watching the movie, and the majority are upset with the way it was adapted, is there anyway that we could write a letter to the Walden Media, sharing with them our deep concern for future adaptions? For example sharing with them what it is that makes the books special to us, and why we do not want the White Witch in the Silver Chair?

FriendofNarnia2 wrote:I really feel like the majority of people here could make a much better film (or at least screenplay) for the Narnia books, then most of the those who are working on this film.

Maybe we should write a script for The Silver Chair, and submit it to Walden Media as the script they better use, or else... X(

:p

I'm game for trying (either suggestion (although the or else might be a bit excessive)). Then at least when they mess up the Silver Chair we can at least say we tried something. If we do it early enough perhaps it will do some good: unlike the attempts we made with VDT after the first synopsis.

This quote doesn't make sense. The grammar and typos are horrible. I'm also wondering if "witches" was supposed to be "witch's." I don't have time for a through grammatical analysis of the quote right now but that could be the case.

They couldn't do any better at ticking off fans if they tried. :p

I do think we should at least see the movie before we complete write it off. I must admit though I'm not excited to see it any more. I am looking forward to the Lion Party though.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Josh, Having Coriakin fight in the WW's army would also give him a need to be punished, but it is still going way too far.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Invisible Woman » Oct 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Combining events of the SC and the VotDT? The Lady of the Green Kirtle being the daughter of the White Witch and Corikan? The Lady of the Green Kirtle causing an Unfathomablle fate? You know what this reminds me of?
Invisible Woman
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 20, 2010 2:14 pm

We were just speculating, none of what we said was said by Apted.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby sweeetlilgurlie » Oct 20, 2010 2:19 pm

.... :((

The only thing that I find amusing about this is that someone said this movie will be an "Aptedation" rather than an adaption. Great play on words!

But seriously? "Oh, Lewis didn't write a whole bunch of ridiculous crap that doesn't fit with book canon that he DID write, so we decided to write it for him."

Come on! It doesn't make sense even if you read it five times! Witches, plural? We're going to have the LoTGK turn into the keeper of the Underworld and the harvester of souls, pretty soon!

It used to be my dream to write a Narnia Movie script. Now it seems as though they'll leave me with absolutely nothing to work with. I may have to start afresh! :(

And there was no reason for the voyage? Oh, no, not all! We just wanted to find some family friends that were essentially banished by the king's evil uncle, that's all. Nothing important or anything.

Eustace's arc is also super-important, which could be said to be a reason for the voyage that the crew didn't know about when it started.

AGH!

*bangs head against the desk*
"Let the music cast its spell,
give the atmosphere a chance.
Simply follow where I lead;
let me teach you how to dance."
sweeetlilgurlie
Moderator Emeritus
The Sparkle Princess

Postby icarus » Oct 20, 2010 2:24 pm

Invisible Woman wrote:Combining events of the SC and the VotDT? The Lady of the Green Kirtle being the daughter of the White Witch and Corikan? The Lady of the Green Kirtle causing an Unfathomablle fate? You know what this reminds me of

It's bad enough having Michael Apted's bad fan-fiction ideas to deal with - can we not have Josh's bad fan-fiction ideas confusing the issue?
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Josh » Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm

Um I put on spoiler tags to a theory which I can actually see them doing. I would prefer it to LotGK and WW being the same and I would prefer it to the White Witch returning from the dead and teaming up with the Lady of the Green Kirtle.

I actually havent posted much crazy ideas in the past few months. I am getting better at it!. :D

By the way, I have to say I always loved that conept art for the leaked script. I would not want it in a Narnia movie, but it looks great itself.
Winter Is Coming
Josh
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Clive Staples Sibelius » Oct 20, 2010 2:29 pm

sweeetlilgurlie wrote:.... :((

The only thing that I find amusing about this is that someone said this movie will be an "Aptedation" rather than an adaption. Great play on words!

It used to be my dream to write a Narnia Movie script. Now it seems as though they'll leave me with absolutely nothing to work with. I may have to start afresh! :(

Glad someone noticed that little pun of mine :D.

Re: movie scripts. I feel now that what the Narnia movies need are NOT scriptwriters, but book-to-script-adaptors. And the folks who put together the FotF scripts would be more than sufficient. We don't want anyone to "write" a script. Markus, McFeely, and Petroni obviously wrote the script without re-reading the book. It seems like they did it all from memory.
"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed."- CS Lewis
Clive Staples Sibelius
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby mm1991 » Oct 20, 2010 2:59 pm

FriendofNarnia2 wrote:
mm1991 wrote:It's official. I hate to say this. I really do. But I will not go see this film. I'm sorry.

What if people who's views you respect watch it and say they liked it, and that it wasn't as far from the heart of the book as we were lead to believe?

Then I might go see the movie on DVD. I would still not see it in theaters for bad marketing.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Valiant » Oct 20, 2010 3:42 pm

Clive Staples Sibelius wrote:It's clear now that this movie is not an adaptation. It's an Aptedation.

=))

That made me laugh, and I sure needed a laugh. I am so infuriated right now. This is ridiculous. I do not feel that Apted nor any other member of the production team understands what the book is about.

Why would Apted compare Narnia to Harry Potter? I like Harry Potter, but we already know how people are calling Narnia a Potter and LotR clone. WHY?

He really just criticised the books out right. No Purpose for the voyage? I'm sorry, maybe they think real reason for the voyage is too deep for the audience to understand. Is that the reason they didn't stick with the Seven Lords/Finding Aslan's country? Or maybe they didn't get it. Maybe it was too deep for them to understand. I agree with Glumpuddle that they are trying to make the movie more sophisticated than the book by adding stuff to it, but they are really just dumbing it down.

Lewis always left many things up to his reader's imagination. Anyways, I don't really see a gap between VDT and SC. Yes, its been 70 years or so, however we are told all crucial information
(about Rilian, about how RD died, and how Rilian was captured.)
There are many details and stories we don't know, but why do we need to know them?

If Lewis wanted to write this "unwritten book" he would have written it. I think they are just making things up, not taking ideas from Lewis' notes or anything. What they are saying is that, "Lewis left a lot of things untold (that were not nesscary) so we are going to make up our own stuff to fill in the gaps."

Apted seems to think the books are bad or stupid or something. Does he really think he knows Narnia better than Lewis? Does he think he can do something better than what Lewis did? I smell some arrogance to be honest.
And why would he bash the source material of the movie he is trying to sell? That makes no sense logically.

This is not an adaptation. It sounds like the movies are based on the book, but it is not an adaptation. Its like what "Troy" did with the Iliad.

Mr.Apted, if you didn't like the book, why did you join this project? There must have been a more "cinematic" script with a more cliched plot, which would have been more convenient for you. Didn't you realize VDT is not about plot coupons and evil green mist?
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Eustace » Oct 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Ugh! Are they going to include the WW and LOTGK in SC trying to both take over Narnia?
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Bookwyrm » Oct 20, 2010 4:35 pm

Maybe they'll pick up a couple of non-book witches to be cannon fodder before the final boss fight with the WW and the LotGK in snake form? :P
Bookwyrm
Moderator Emeritus
Lord of the Little Ponies

Postby Eustace » Oct 20, 2010 4:39 pm

But it enabled us to find a stronger reason for the journey, since there is no real reason for the journey as it stands.”

Okay, what? X( They did have reason for going. They were going not only for adventure but also to right the wrong done by Miraz.

Bookwyrm, I could totally imagine them adding witches. :(( :(( :(( :(( (screams and runs away from that image.)
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Actually, I think Josh might have a point with his theory. I know Michael Apted didn't say he was going to do that, but I think he could easily put it in the movie. And even though I would definitely not want it to be in the film, it would explain Coriakin's punishment, it would explain who the LOTGK is, it would tie everything together, and (judging from the other things that have happened with this film so far) it sounds just like the sort of thing Apted would do...

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

PreviousNext