THREE CLIPS!!!!! *SPOILERS*

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderator: daughter of the King

Re: THREE CLIPS!!!!! *SPOILERS*

Postby Dinode » Aug 21, 2010 9:15 pm

I think that Eustace's undragoning will be all right. You're right Movie Aristotle, from the first moment I saw it I thought the editing on his fall looked bad.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm

I never felt like Aslan died for Edmund because Edmund said he was sorry. I felt like that was always what Aslan was going to do because these were the four children he had chosen to come.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ugly Pig » Aug 22, 2010 7:07 am

decarus wrote:I think all the reports seem to suggest that while Aslan does undragon Eustace that he still does something heroic during the dark island battle and that he is then undragoned after that. I think that makes the two seem connected and they are not connected.

Didn't they already say that they removed the idea of Eustace "earning" his undragoning because they were made aware of the theological problems it presented? Pretty sure I read that a while back.
Ugly Pig
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Silver the Wanderer » Aug 22, 2010 7:24 am

^^ I don't see anything wrong with Eustace doing something heroic as a dragon. It's all part of his character transformation. Before being dragoned, Eustace would have never dreamed of doing something like that. It wouldn't be "earning" his undragoning. It'd be a way to show how he's changed because of his dragoning.

That being said, I don't think he'd do something heroic on Dark Island. I think it's more likely he'd play a part in driving off the sea serpent. Remember Apted's quote about "a huge battle at the end with a sea serpent and a dragon"? In the book, the undragoned Eustace bravely attacks the sea serpent (and ends up breaking Caspian's second-best sword in the process). I can assume that if he was still a dragon instead of a boy at that point, he still would do something to defend the Dawn Treader and it's crew. If he does something heroic in that battle, his undragoning doesn't necessarily have to come right afterwards, and the two events can stand apart.
Av and Sig by Aravis Autarkeia

Silver the Wanderer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby icarus » Aug 22, 2010 7:37 am

Silver the Wanderer wrote:That being said, I don't think he'd do something heroic on Dark Island. I think it's more likely he'd play a part in driving off the sea serpent.

I'm of the opinion that the Dark Island and the Sea Serpent will coincide with one another. That's the way the evidence is looking to me at least.

Its as good as confirmed that the Dark Island is going to be the final island, and will serve as the big action finale for the moive. As for the Sea Serpent, most of the evidence so far indicates it will come at the end too (such as the Michael Apted quote you mentioned) so it seems logical to assume it might be part of some sort of final "battle".
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Dinode » Aug 22, 2010 10:54 am

^^That's a real brain wave silver the wanderer. :)
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Trufflehunter » Aug 22, 2010 10:59 am

I really don't think Peter and Susan nor their parents will meet the fate they did in LB, but I did think of that as soon as I saw them in what appeared to be Aslan's Country in the first trailer.
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Aug 22, 2010 11:05 am

My thoughts on the new clips. :) I'll probably be echoing a lot of what others have already said, but I want to write them out anyway! :ymblushing:

Clip #1

I'm really, really pleased with Will Poulter's portrayal of Eustace. He really hits the nail on the head, in my opinion—acting that unpleasant can't be easy! :p Great job, Will. :ymapplause:

I was a little taken aback that they had changed Eustace's rhyme, but since hardly anyone uses the word "balmy" these days to describe craziness or foolishness (in my neck of the woods, anyway!), I'm not surprised they altered it.

There's something odd about Lucy in this scene. She seems very little like the girl in the first two films, who had such a bright presence. She's looks, acts, and talks a lot Susan here. I hope she is more like herself when they return to Narnia. She certainly seems more like the old Lucy in the last clip.

As for Eustace's comment about them being orphans. . . . :-? Unfortunately, at this point I think that they actually have made the change, and it's not just Eustace trying to irritate his cousins because their parents have "abandoned" them at the Scrubb's and gone to America. :( It would be confusing to people in the theater, so why would they throw something like that in there that's going to cause people to wonder, when it could be easily substituted with another word?

I know some people have mentioned why Lucy doesn't appear more upset, but the look on her face actually reminds me a lot of the kind of numb shock people go through after a sudden loss. Or it could be she's just appalled that he's calling her beloved Narnia a fairytale. Eh, it's hard to tell at this point. :-\

I really hope he's just making a mean joke and they haven't made the change, though. But since orphans are so popular and literature and movies, especially ones that get sent to unpleasant relatives, I wouldn't put it past them. 8-|

Clip #2

I find it really interesting that they seem to have combined Deathwater Island and Dragon island. Pretty clever to make the dragon's hoard a dry riverbed. I miss the cave—and am hoping there still will be a cave, since Eustace will have to disappear somewhere before Edmund and Caspian come along—but I love the eerie feel of this yawning, gold-filled canyon in the middle of nowhere!

I loved the "I must be dead" line—Will's delivery of it was hilarious. =))

One thing I don't understand—if this canyon is really just a dry riverbed, why isn't the skeleton gold as well? Possibly there won't be any water that turns objects into gold left at all—it all ran dry long ago, leaving the gold behind. When Octesian found it, perhaps the gold was so maddening that he refused to leave it and starved. Maybe Caspian and Edmund fight over the possession of the gold itself rather than the possession of the magical pool?

Clip #3

This is probably my favorite of the clips. It's really beautiful and has a wonderful, ethereal quality to it. The lilies and the boat are pretty much just as a imagined it—that is, aside from Caspian being on board! Very disappointed in that. :-o

I like Eustace here a lot. He still seems like Eustace, even though Eustace changes so much throughout the book. Overall, I am thrilled with Will Poulter's performance, based on these clips. :ymapplause:

The camera angles seem a bit odd to me, especially when Eustace seems to be staring pretty close to the camera. I'm sure it'll look better once the scene is finished and in the movie, though.

I'm VERY happy that they included that Eustace couldn't change back on his own. I think that's the most important part of Eustace's entire story in VDT. :ymapplause:

Also liked Malfhok's observation on the beginning of Eustace's lines—that was one part of the last clip that didn't seem to fit for me. I'm definitely hoping they'll include Eustace's and Edmund's conversation after the undragoning—that's one of my favorite parts of VDT.

I really like the last lines—Lucy's pondering of what Aslan's country will be like. It really captures the whole sense of wonder of that final leg of their voyage. I can definitely imagine them having had quiet, wondering conversations like that as they paddled further and further into the utter East.

Whew, long post! :ymblushing: Overall, a lot of positives. I'm so excited to see the movie and see how these clips fit into the entire film! ;;)
—The Rose-Tree Dryad, a.k.a. Rose @};-
NW sister to Melian_Maia, lover of narnia, Elanor and juzuma loves lucy + NW twin to MissRosario
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby decarus » Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am

Ugly Pig wrote:Didn't they already say that they removed the idea of Eustace "earning" his undragoning because they were made aware of the theological problems it presented? Pretty sure I read that a while back.

They did say this, but i am not sure that they in fact did what they said they did. If they don't actually get it then i am not sure that they are going to get it right.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia_kitty » Aug 22, 2010 12:41 pm

For those of you concerned about the lack of a cave, I'm pretty certain there is one still.... We have two pictures from what I'm positive are the Deathwater/Dragon Island set(s) from MovieWorld.

Here's the shot from the front of one. It's pretty obvious this is the canyon becoming more and more narrow with lots of gold on the ground.

From above, you can see this set goes quite a ways back in. And the part I've circled is a completely enclosed space at the end of the canyon. I can't think of anything else that could possibly be besides a cave.

I'm not 100% sure they're the same set though I THINK they are. But I'm sure sure they're at least meant for the same island. The shot from above looks like the same barren rock formation walls and whatnot.
fantasia_kitty
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Valiant » Aug 22, 2010 1:14 pm

I thought the editing on Eustace's fall (of the ledge) in clip 2 was poor editing as well. I saw that in my very first viewing of the clip, so its fairly obvious. I'm sure they'll fix it up though.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm

I am so happy with Will Poulter's performance as Eustace! :D he's amazing! he's perfect for Eustace!

does anyone know what Edmund said in the first clip when he turns to look at Eustace? I mean the part right after Eustace says the bit about the kind of books Edmund and Lucy read.
:) :)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Reepi » Aug 22, 2010 1:52 pm

One thing I've repeatedly noticed when reading about VDT is that people say they reach Aslan's country at the end. (Caspian reaching Aslan's country cause he's in the rowboat with them). Why do people get this idea? The only one who reaches Aslan's country at this point is Reepicheep, the others only get to the end of the world (Narnia). Or am I seriously missing something :P ?

Anyways, I like the clips and where the direction of the film is going.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Trufflehunter » Aug 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Movie Aristotle said:
What I find really interesting at 5.5 seconds is the rock. I can't decipher what the shadow on the right side of the screen is, but it does look like the rock is moving up and down, or more accurately, like the rock has been digitally erased and the background replaced a little in each frame so that to us the rock appears to be moving. Generally they do this sort of thing in post-production right before they add in a digital creature. And notice that Eustace is looking in that direction when the clip begins.

At first I thought it was someone's cloak being blown in the wind. I'm not familiar with the process you are describing, but it sounds possible. Maybe whatever they were trying to add in digitally was not finished, or, perhaps, they purposely left it unfinished because they didn't want us to know what it was?
"I'm a beast I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it... And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King." -Trufflehunter
Trufflehunter
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dinode » Aug 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Liberty Hoffman wrote:does anyone know what Edmund said in the first clip when he turns to look at Eustace? I mean the part right after Eustace says the bit about the kind of books Edmund and Lucy read.
:) :)

He says, "Hideous burden(s)? I haven't seen you lift a finger since we've been here."

I like those photos you gave us Fantasia_Kitty, they're very encouraging.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby decarus » Aug 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Yeah. Only Reepicheep goes to Aslan's country. That is correct. Caspian going to where the Pevensies go is fine with me as long as he then goes back which i am sure he will.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

PreviousNext