This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

General Movie Questions

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

Re: General Movie Questions

Postby Narnian1993 » Feb 07, 2010 2:28 pm

This may sound like a random question but i cant find the answer anywhere! In the PC book, as they are traveling, they come across a bear, like in the movie. but my question is, why did they not take the meat from the bear in the movie, like they did in the book? They would need some kind of food to eat and Caspian's army didnt look like they had alot.

It seems like a simple question but i would apperciate it- thanks!! :)
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 07, 2010 2:52 pm

They did, remember the scene, when Trumpkin takes out his knife and Lucy hides her face in Peter's arm? They just didn't show them eating it probably because of either time constraints, or the fact that in may be too disgusting/ upsetting for the younger audience members. Actually come to think of it the dvd comentary said they were gonna show him actually cutting the meat, but they took it out, because the didn't want to upset the younger audience members.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 17, 2010 4:48 pm

That was one thing I didn't like. They didn't make it clear they were eating the bear. None of my friends who saw the movie and hadn't read the book though Trumpkin was cutting the meat up to take with them.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 21, 2010 5:53 pm

^^ I have had the impression that they didn't take and eat the bear meat in the movie! it looks like Trumpkin was just sticking a knife in the bear to make sure it was dead!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby decarus » Feb 21, 2010 7:19 pm

That is what i thought as well. I thought he was just cutting it's throat to make sure it was dead. I didn't think they took any meat with them.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 22, 2010 2:15 pm

^^I don't know, maybe I just thought of it because thats how it happened in the book. But I thought it was implied that he cut it open, rather than just stabbing it by the way Lucy squirmed.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 22, 2010 4:36 pm

but decarus is right: they don't have any meat with them! :p
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

^^not that we know of. That was one thing the film makers could have made clearer.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Narnian1993 » Mar 08, 2010 11:07 am

Ok thanks everyone!! I just watched it again and it does look like he cut the bear, but they do not have any meat with them. as far as I can tell. thanks everyone for your imput!
~You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.~ C. S. Lewis
Narnian1993
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby decarus » Mar 09, 2010 9:24 pm

I have to insist that they don't actually show them carry away any meat or cut the bear up or discuss that they need food back at camp, so there is no proof that they actually took some of the bear with them. It is all speculation.

The low point of that scene anyway was that Susan waited until the bear almost ran her sister down and still didn't take the shot. In the book the bear jumped out at them very quickly and she was out shot by the DLF by the difference of a split second reaction.
There are no clouds in the sky. There is only the open sun and the Lord watches.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 13, 2010 2:22 pm

^^ yeah, Susan was a bit slow..... X( but hey, at least Trumpkin got the bear! ROLE REVERSE!!!!! :D
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 17, 2010 6:22 pm

decarus wrote:The low point of that scene anyway was that Susan waited until the bear almost ran her sister down and still didn't take the shot. In the book the bear jumped out at them very quickly and she was out shot by the DLF by the difference of a split second reaction.

In the book, Susan never shoots because she is afraid that it might be a talking beast, and in Narnia, killing a talking beast is like murder. Trumpkin, though, realizes the difference, therefore being able to make the shot. In the movie she says, "Why didn't he stop?" showing that she really wasn't sure if it was good or not. Trumpkin replies, "You get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you become."
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby decarus » Mar 17, 2010 9:10 pm

The difference in the scene is that in the books it all happened so quickly that Susan just hesitated for a second and the dlf got the shot off before she could. In the film the bear is clearly running her sister down in an attempt to seriously hurt or kill her and Susan still doesn't shoot. I mean i can understand initially Susan telling the bear to stop, but after Lucy falls and the bear stands to attack her Susan should have shot. It should never have come to that.

Especially because in the last scene Susan shot a MAN to save a dwarf she didn't even know and then she wouldn't shoot a bear to save her sister? It didn't make any sense to me. She was willing to kill to save someone she didn't even know, but she was not willing to kill to save her sister? That is why i think it is the low point of the scene.
decarus
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Mar 18, 2010 6:38 pm

I'm writing on the eighteenth of March, and I think that we've gotten some but need some more. I'm thinking that we'll get some news- how much, I can't tell. I'm not a fortune teller.
I have a question: Why did the producers make Susan and Caspian like each other? I could figure out every other aspect of PC movie, even the Peter/Caspian fighting, but my dedicated Narnia friends and I have never been able to figure that one out. I can't think of a single reason why it should be included. (I do respect those people's opinions who adamantly think that it should be in the movie, and also those that think just as adamantly that the romance should not be in the movie. I'm asking why Disney and Walden thought that it would add to the movie (I don't think that they would put something in that would detract from the movie on purpose.) So, what do you think is the reason that Susan and Caspian's crush is in the movie?
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lady_Liln » Mar 18, 2010 7:03 pm

The reason it was included is because Adamson thought that two attractive teenagers would just have to fall in love. That's what would logically happen, right?

Andrew Adamson wrote:"Our kids are growing up. Susan is 17, 18 years old — Caspian's a very fine-looking young man. Why wouldn't there be some romance? Just look at the two of them," he asserted. "It seemed more unnatural not to have the attraction than to have it. I don't think it's over the top." [source]
Lady_Liln
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm

they were trying to make it a modern love story. ugh. C.S. Lewis would never have approved! it drove me nuts when I found out that Susan and Caspian were going to kiss. bleah! :ymsick:
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

PreviousNext