This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The VDT in 3D Poll

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

How do you feel about VDT being released in 3D?

I'm happy it will be in 3D and will definitely see it in 3D on opening weekend.
30%
I'm happy it will be in 3D, but I'll see it in 2D first.
37%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D, but I'll probably see it in 3D anyways to support the movie.
13%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D and I won't see it in 3D.
10%
Can't decide.
10%

Total votes : 117

Re: The VDT in 3D Poll

Postby Glumpuddle » Sep 22, 2010 7:00 pm

If I had any doubts about my first viewing being in 2D, they are gone now. Gosh, I'm not sure if I want to see the 3D version at all now.

Like Icarus said, it's not that surprising that this is how Apted feels. It's just surprising that we're hearing about it.

One more reason for me to dislike Avatar.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 23, 2010 1:52 pm

^^ ditto! I don't want to see VotDT in 3D at all. I didn't before, but if Apted didn't want it in 3D, then he obviously had no 3D stuff in mind when filming it so it might look awful in 3D! :-o
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 23, 2010 10:48 pm

I was ecstatic to find out VDT would be in 3D, so of course, that's what I will see it in. 3D effects have come such a long way, and is really a wonderful way to watch a movie, in my opinion. Plus, VDT's going to some of the Narnian world's most exotic locations, combined with the 3D effect... I'm sure it will be an absolutely beautiful movie.

As for the director not intending it to be made in 3D, it was extremely unfair for him, but it may be a plus for the movie. After all, there wont be any overtly intentional 3D shots (like the one of the measuring tape in Journey to the Center of the Earth). Instead, the 3D effects may serve only to make the scenery in the movies (such as the snow and the Lillies) look more realistic, which is definitely in its favor.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Elanor » Sep 24, 2010 10:06 am

I think it's great that its coming out in 3D, and I think it's kind of ridiculous that anyone would mind that! But who knows?
I want to see it in 3D, but I don't know if my family will. Hopefully. :)
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby bkey » Sep 24, 2010 11:39 am

Part of the reason I oppose it is from a purely moral perspective. As a film student and someone aspiring to work in the industry, I don't want to work in an environment where personal creativity is stifled for the sake of making a few extra bucks. As more and more films are being "post-converted" to 3D, its possible where this precedent of studio power over directorial control becomes widespread.

I feel like anyone who is into film making, or writes, or works with any medium of art would feel this way. How would you like it if you, as a director, spent 2 years of your life on a project, and made the absolute best movie you could, but then the financing studio comes in and says "Hey, what you made is great, but we're going to change it, not to make the movie better, but just to make more money." I know I personally would hate it.

If the director makes the choice to make his or her movie in 3D, as James Cameron did with Avatar, or Martin Scorsese did with his upcoming Hugo Cabaret, then I am 100% behind that decision and would without question see the movie the director intended it to be seen.

I, however, cannot support seeing a movie in 3D when it goes directly against the director's wishes and vision.

People also still don't seem to understand the difference between a film being shot in 3D and converted to 3D in post-production. When a film is shot in 3D, everything from set design to the way shots are set up, to the types of cameras used, to the way the film is shot and edited takes the 3D into account. When you're shooting a film in 3D, you literally cannot shoot certain scenes the way you would if you were shooting in 2D. The result should be spectacular, like what we see with Avatar. When a film is shot in 2D and then converted, it takes none of this into account. They're taking a movie that is meant to be seen in one medium and turning it into a format that is not right for the film. The result of that is the horrid 3D that was seen in Clash of the Titans and The Last Airbender. It has nothing to do with the time taken to convert the film, and it has nothing to do with "cheesy 3D shots." It's just that from a technical standpoint, the film is meant to be a 2D film. This isn't just me talking, there are countless of people in the industry who know what they are talking about that say the exact same thing.

Sorry for the rant, it's just a topic near to my heart and I tend to get fired up when discussing the issue.
bkey
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Smooshy » Sep 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Meh. I hate 3-D films and I think that particular bubble is already bursting in general (3-D trailers get groans from the audience whenever I'm at the theatre). The 3-D glasses don't often fit over actual pairs of glasses and I know too many people who get motion-sickness. If my local theatre is playing the 2-D version on opening day then I will choose to see that. If it's only 3-D I'll still go and I'm sure it'll be "neat" but detract from the overall beauty of the film.
The cat came back
Smooshy
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Elanor » Sep 28, 2010 2:16 pm

bbkey,
I do understand better what you mean now, thanks for the words. It wasn't a rant!! I do agree that after a movie has been filmed, making a few changes to make it into 3D, is pretty silly. So thank you for helping me to understand better!!
NW sisters Lyn, Lia, and Rose
RL sister Destined_to_Reign
Member of the Tenth Avenue North and Pixar Club
Dubbed The Ally Of Epic Awesomeness by Libby
Elanor
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fledge1 » Sep 29, 2010 7:25 am

I have never seen a movie in 3D. Well when I was about 5 at Disney Land and saw that Michael Jackson one. But other than that, our theater here in my town (small town) doesnt have a theater that shows 3D. So I will have to drive a hour if I want to see it in 3D. However we will be at my in laws in Chicago and i get to go to it opening night there. So VDT will be my first movie in 3D. Now do you have to buy them in 3D cause I dont want to have to wear glasses everytime i watch it....
I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun: not only because I see it, but by it I see everything else. -C.S. Lewis
fledge1
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Dinode » Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

I think that since he hadn't wanted it in 3-D the film will be better. They have plenty of time to convert it to 3-D the right way, and it will still be cool in 2-D.

I suppose I'd better clarify. Say that George Lucas had Star Wars redone in 3-D, and had invested enough time and energy to make it almost exactly like a movie filmed in 3-D. It would still be the same movie, and as long as you don't have any problems with the glasses or with motion sickness, I really think your experience would only be improved.

Not all films converted into 3-D in post production look cheesy, as long as they have the time to get the work done. Case in point, G-Force was filmed in 2-D and converted into 3-D. Did any of you who have seen it think it looked any worse than a movie that was filmed in 3-D?

Just wanted to give my two cents.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby icarus » Oct 08, 2010 4:21 pm

Although not entirely relevant to VDT, i was very surprised to read just now that the 3D Release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 has been cancelled:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11506354

There may be a slight knock-on effect of more additional 3D screens being available for VDT when the time comes, though its a good 3 week gap between the movies, so it probably won't make too much difference either way - its still going to be all about Tron and VDT when it comes to the battle for 3D screen availability (or lack thereof)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Movie Aristotle » Oct 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Harry Potter no longer in 3D? That is great news! Now there will be no question as to whether theaters will show HP or VDT on their 3D screens! I know there are a few weeks between release dates, but there is a lot of hype about Potter since this is the beginning of the end of that series and I was a little worried that it might do so well at the box office that there might be a contest come Dec. 10. Now VDT has a full week to reign in 3D without competition.
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialover4 » Oct 09, 2010 4:07 pm

It would be cool to see it in 3D, but I want to see it in 2D first. This is a really dumb question, but do you have to pay extra to produce a 3D picture?
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby aragorn2 » Oct 09, 2010 4:12 pm

Even if it will not be as high quality as a movie filmed for 3D, if it makes enough money to continue the series I'm all for it.
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous