This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The VDT in 3D Poll

Talk about any aspect of the films.

Moderators: The Rose-Tree Dryad, daughter of the King

How do you feel about VDT being released in 3D?

I'm happy it will be in 3D and will definitely see it in 3D on opening weekend.
30%
I'm happy it will be in 3D, but I'll see it in 2D first.
37%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D, but I'll probably see it in 3D anyways to support the movie.
13%
I'm not happy it will be released in 3D and I won't see it in 3D.
10%
Can't decide.
10%

Total votes : 117

Re: The VDT in 3D Poll

Postby Movie Aristotle » Mar 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Fire Fairy wrote:And let me explain how 3D works... The glasses are made so that one lens pops inward slightly, while the other pops outward, changing the way your eyes see the image.

I'm not sure if that's how 3D works. I've never heard of creating a 3D effect by using different degrees of curvature on the glasses.

I do know of two ways that are used to make a 3D image:

One way is to color the two images: one red, and the other cyan. Then you superimpose the two images. You have to wear a set of glasses with a red gel over the left eye and a cyan gel over the right in order to see the film properly. The red eye can only see the red image and the cyan eye can only see the cyan. The brain blends the colors and the images and, viola, you get a 3D image.

Another way is to take the two images and to project the one image polarizing the light clockwise, and to project the other image polarizing the light counter-clockwise. The audience then wears a pair of glasses in which one lens is polarized clockwise and the other counter-clockwise, so again, each eye is seeing only the image intended. The brain does the blending, and, tada, the 3D image appears!

Walden was very kind to explain the process in their study guide to "Journey of the Center of the Earth." You can find it here:

http://www.walden.com/guide/journey_to_ ... the_earth/
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 25, 2010 1:49 pm

^^ when a movie is filmed for 3D, it is a digital body camera with twin lenses.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm

I saw an article today which made a very interesting point about the plethora of recent 3D announcements which i hadn't yet considered.... Given how many 3D films there are now scheduled to come out at Christmas, how are cinemas going to find a sufficient number of 3D screens to accommodate them all?

Avatar had pretty much a free run on 3D-capable screens throughout last Christmas, but when Alice in Wonderland was released, all the cinema exhibitors kicked Avatar off its 3D screens to make way for Alice, even though Avatar was still going strong at that point. As a result Avatar was reported to have lost out on a fair few extra million from the tail-end of its box-office run.

So what will happen with Dawn Treader, when Tron Legacy comes out in 3D just one week after? No doubt most cinemas will clear Dawn Treader from its 3D screens in order to make way for Tron, and that will be that. Admittedly most movies do make a large proportion of their box-office in their first week, so it might still prove to be worth the cost when you factor in the higher ticket charges for 3D, but still Dawn Treader in 3D could prove to be a "one week only" deal.

Even if Dawn Treader hangs around on a limited number of 3D screens for a second week whilst Tron takes top billing, they would both then face competition for screen space when Fox's own Gulliver's Travels comes out in 3D the week after that.

Basically, i'd go and see it in 3D the first week, or you probably wont get to see it in 3D at all (unless your local cinema is blessed with having a very large number of 3D capable screens)
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 25, 2010 2:09 pm

^^ good point! if Harry Potter is going to be 3D, then it will be in a lot of theaters.....wow! I hopw that 3D won't be a bad thing for VotDT! :-o
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Mar 25, 2010 2:32 pm

icarus wrote:So what will happen with Dawn Treader, when Tron Legacy comes out in 3D just one week after? No doubt most cinemas will clear Dawn Treader from its 3D screens in order to make way for Tron, and that will be that.

Good point icarus. By your logic the studio will have little over a week to make extra $$$ on the 3-D tickets.
After that the movie's success will depend on its own merit in storytelling and film-making –not 3-D pizzazz.
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby daughter of the King » Mar 25, 2010 2:49 pm

icarus wrote:So what will happen with Dawn Treader, when Tron Legacy comes out in 3D just one week after? No doubt most cinemas will clear Dawn Treader from its 3D screens in order to make way for Tron,

I hadn't thought of that. I know the local theater has a very limited number of 3D screens and I can see VDT getting kicked off them.

The more I think about VDT in 3D, the less I'm liking the idea. Yes, technological advancements have been made, but VDT was originally only going to be in 2D and therefore will probably look better in 2D no matter what technology can accomplish. Avatar may have been superb cinematography wise, but it was supposed to be. The strength of VDT is not in the graphics, it is in the story. There is potential for great graphics moments, but that shouldn't be what drives the film. If it brings in more money, great, but if it doesn't, then I think it's a bad idea.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby spartan5 » Mar 25, 2010 6:49 pm

icarus wrote:I saw an article today which made a very interesting point about the plethora of recent 3D announcements which i hadn't yet considered.... Given how many 3D films there are now scheduled to come out at Christmas, how are cinemas going to find a sufficient number of 3D screens to accommodate them all?

Let us not forget that Phil Anshutz, owner of Walden Media, also owns a little organization known as the Regal Entertainment Group, a theater company. Per Wikipedia, Regal Entertainment owns "6,775 screens in 548 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia." Me thinks those theaters won't exactly clear VDT out to make room for a competing film after the first week...
spartan5
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby redeemedqueen » Mar 25, 2010 7:25 pm

I am very excited that it will be in 3D - I think that the film (or as much as I know of it) will be very compatible with 3D...And I know that 3D movies are an expanding market and I think that (the film being 3D) will help boost revenue. I also think the conversion will turn out fine.

Now if I can only convince my parents to drive me an hour to see it in 3D (hopefully I'll have my license by then)!
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Member of the Edmund and Tenth Avenue North Fan Clubs!!!

Member of the pray for Skandar group - PM Benjamin to join!!!

redeemedqueen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 25, 2010 7:28 pm

^that's true. But that's still not very many theatres all over America. I guess I'll just have to watch the movie twice in one week then, b/c I do so want to see it 2D first but I want to make sure I see it in 3D too :-s :p
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby 7chronicles » Mar 25, 2010 9:26 pm

glumPuddle wrote: Also, does this mean they will have less time to finish the movie? They'll need to finish the movie and still have enough time to convert it to 3D.

I don't know how the whole process works so I could be wrong, but I know the decision to convert Clash of the Titans into 3D came in late January, the film was originally going to be released on March 26 and due to the 3D conversion, it was pushed to a week later on April 2.
Since they seemed to manage the converting quickly I don't think we will have to worry to much about the time frame of them converting the VDT.
But like I said I don't know how the process works and I think VDT will be longer then Clash of the Titans so it may take longer.

Also, I'm going next Friday to see Clash of the Titans in 3D, so I'll check out the quality of the 3D ;) :)

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Movie Aristotle » Mar 25, 2010 9:50 pm

icarus wrote:Given how many 3D films there are now scheduled to come out at Christmas, how are cinemas going to find a sufficient number of 3D screens to accommodate them all?

I've been wondering about that, and I came to the same conclusion as you. They'll probably have to throw Narnia out when Tron comes in. It's kind of like if every theater in the world only had one screen, and you had to choose if you'd keep last week's movie or go ahead with a new one.

Well, most theaters only do have one screen with 3D capabilities, so they'll have to make that decision. The good news is that since Deathly Hallows will have already been out for two weeks we'll probably see most theaters changing over to VDT. But, after VDT, I'm pretty sure that most theaters will switch to Tron, since Tron was made with 3D in mind from the beginning and is sure to be a visual treat.

I am glad to be reminded that Anshutz owns Regal theatres though. Maybe VDT can hang on for one more week.

What I don't understand is why Fox decided to release another 3D fantasy film just two weeks after Dawn Treader. Why make it hard on themselves? Do we really need Gulliver's Travels to be a December film?
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby FriendofNarnia2 » Mar 25, 2010 10:00 pm

I've heard that many more 3-D screens will be added to theaters by the end of the year. Hopefully that will help out.

Yeah, I don't know what Fox is thinking releasing competition to their own movie. I guess there was no where else to put it. And I wonder why it too has to be in 3-D?
Check out "The Magician's Nephew" and "The Last Battle" trailers I created!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWtuk3Qafg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrPxboeZqrA
FriendofNarnia2
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Fire Fairy » Mar 26, 2010 1:39 am

Movie Aristotle wrote:I'm not sure if that's how 3D works. I've never heard of creating a 3D effect by using different degrees of curvature on the glasses.

Sorry, I was actually paraphrasing what my brother told me a while ago. It could be that my brother was talking about the polarized lenses, but explaining it to me in a "dummied-down" version.

icarus wrote:I saw an article today which made a very interesting point about the plethora of recent 3D announcements which i hadn't yet considered.... Given how many 3D films there are now scheduled to come out at Christmas, how are cinemas going to find a sufficient number of 3D screens to accommodate them all?

I didn't think about that!! I really hope that VDT stays in the theater--the 3D theater, that is--for longer than a week! I think there are a few theaters out there with more than one 3D screen, but, then again, that could be just in some of the more populated places. I know that the theater my family goes to has two or three 3D theaters, along with a special "X-D" theater. I'm not exactly sure what's so special about the "X-D" screen, but that's because I've never seen a movie in it, since it costs more. Let's just hope VDT in 3D doesn't suffer the same fate as Battle For Tera, which was only in the main theaters for one week (then again, that movie was a total flop).
Member of the Dragon Lovers Club. PM FrecklefaceJill to join.

Avy & Sig by Ithilwen--thank you!
Fire Fairy
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 26, 2010 12:56 pm

I was talking to my sister in law and she and I were discussing the fact that VotDT is going to be in 3D. she predicted that it would be lame in 3D and I have to agree.....
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Narnia_Fan12 » Mar 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I didn't like the idea at all at first, but I've gotten used to it... and kinda like the idea! I'll see it 3D on opening weekend.
Narnia_Fan12
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby mm1991 » Mar 27, 2010 11:38 am

I'm excited and will definitely be seeing it in 3-D.

In my area, there is an IMAX theater that plays multiple different movies throughout the day. So I know for sure at least one theater in my area won't have the problem of VDT being "kicked out" just because another 3-D movie comes along.
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext